Have you NOT seen the movie Titanic ?

As a history buff AND Movie watcher, I understand why the older couple (Astors I believe*) didn't go on the lifeboat. It was for younger folks who still had their lives before them. Imagine the pain of being in a place with air in it and going down 2.5miles under the sea, with water temperatures in the mid 20's!

* Maybe Strauss ??

Yes, Macy's co-founder Isidore Straus and his wife Ida. He refused to board a lifeboat while there were still passengers aboard; she refused to leave her husband's side.

Madeline Astor boarded a lifeboat, John Jacob attempted but was refused by an officer.

Several years ago I owned this postcard of the Olympic signed by Edward J Smith, captain of the Olympic and had been scheduled to retire after commanding Titanic's maiden voyage.

titanic-captain-smith-signed-postcard_1_c417ebee2287c9b286505e16a216b24c.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen the movie nor will I make a point to, ever since that dadburn movie came out they beat the Titanic's name like a dead horse.
If I never hear the name again it'll be too soon. Now on the other hand I have enjoyed some of the documentaries about it and it's undersea exploration.
Oh! And I love the movie, "A League of Their Own" and I don't even like sports.

Camerons Titanic at least gave you the scope of the size of it. (882'6") I watch to see teh underside plates buckling as it bends and finally breaks in 2. It was the first ship with a turbine running the center propeller.

One more vote for 'no havent seen it'. I grew up on movies like The Poseidon Adventure and Juggernaut; what more was Titanic going to show me?

Dang. Tough crowd.

I saw it a couple times, and I liked it. It was one of the first movies that I watched with the woman who would be come my wife, so it has a little sentimental value too.

One more vote for 'no havent seen it'. I grew up on movies like The Poseidon Adventure and Juggernaut; what more was Titanic going to show me?

The Titanic and it’s sinking. And you might’ve enjoyed the romance.

By your reasoning we need only watch a couple of westerns, a couple of noirs, a couple of WW II movies and so on.

I saw Titanic the day it opened.
I had a friend who was a projectionist and he had to pre screen the films to make sure there were no problems with the print, so it was just four of us in the biggest theater in the house watching it and I loved it.
It is more impressive on the big screen.

I've been interested in Titanic since I was about 12 and read A Night to Remember so seeing the ship brought back to life in such exquisite detail was amazing.
James Cameron's never been the modest type but it took some serious Chutzpah to make a $200,000,000 movie in 1997, a lot of people were sure it would fail.

Yes it has a Teen romance in it, so does Romeo & Juliet and that seems to be well respected. The acting from Leo & Kate is outstanding, if I have any issues it would be with Billy Zanes over the top villainous character, Cal, he does everything but twirl his mustache.

It's long but not much longer than it actually took Titanic to sink.

I've seen it twice, it's okay. Better than anything with Star and Wars in its name. That's for sure!

The Titanic and it’s sinking. And you might’ve enjoyed the romance.

By your reasoning we need only watch a couple of westerns, a couple of noirs, a couple of WW II movies and so on.

well, tbh that is the way I tend to choose movies... but also for a long time I tended to stay away from anything that seemed overhyped and good lord Titanic was overhyped. Like watching the equally hyped Avatar only b/c my friends insisted and then emerge from the theater w/a huge eyestrain headache after 2.5 hours of 3D nonsense. I knew better, but noooo had to watch it. ugh

Not bad. Especially when the boat starts falling apart. The rich people are boring but the working class is lots of fun subplot was silly.

Leonardo DiCaprio has turned out to be a decent actor. He was good in "The Departed."

The only overhyped movies I can think of I've avoided were Easy Rider and Top Gun. I resisted Star Wars until sometime in the 1980s after I returned to the US from overseas deployment.
I looked forward to seeing Titanic for a virtual experience of the legendary steamship, and was not disappointed

^^^Top Gun does not hold up. 100 percent stupid. But it gave us "Maverick, Iceman, and Goose."

Easy Rider is worth a look, @Pio1980. When I first watched it in the 90s, I expected anti-establishment hippie shit. Not at all. Way more nuanced than that. Peter Fonda's character, Wyatt/Capt. America, is skeptical and sees through the hippie commune B.S. Wyatt is a sympathetic, "everyman" character. Dennis Hopper's character, Billy, is hard to like. Billy is exactly the type of greedy person he rails against. And Jack Nicholson's lawyer character is not really sure what he is rebelling against, making him a tragic figure. I'm fascinated by anything that chronicles the death of the 60s and the hippie ideal. Along with Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rolling Stones' at Altamont flick, Gimme Shelter, Easy Rider captures the brute force and, sadly, Hobbesian nature of society when confronted with utopian dreamers. Plus, it has some dreamy and trippy cinematography and an awesome soundtrack.

It was a very good movie, I would say definitely not a overhyped one. After all this was a true horrific event and the the sub plots that unfolded in the movie were taken largely from the actual survivors themselves. To compare this to the Poseidon Adventure or other fictionalized movie doesn't do Titanic justice.

Like I said, Titanic isn't my favorite movie in the world, but I don't mind it. I probably wouldn't pass on a chance to see it on the big screen the way Eric H did.

As for Easy Rider, let's just say that I'd much rather watch Titanic any day. I couldn't find much of anything I liked about it, especially the WTF ending.

The Poseidon Adventure is a classic. Never saw the remake, and don't plan to.

As far as remakes in general go, I've wasted enough time on them in the past that I don't bother with them and assume that they are garbage, unless I hear a lot of people say different.

Back
Top Bottom