having a hard time driving infinity kappa 8's with hafler xl600

hick.man

hi all. I tend to pick up alot of stereo stuff when I figure the price is right "the wife says I have problem heheh" I am not savvy to all the technical stuff on the insides I just love great sounding music so please bear with me. I have a set of infinity kappa 8's that I'm having a hard time driving. I have a hafler xl600 that I picked up years ago and its been sitting collecting dust that I figured would drive them effortlessly but when I try to push them at over half throttle the woofers distort and sound like crap. so I then pulled out a hafler dh 220 that has also been collecting dust and I tried the bi-amp route. used the dh 220 to power the high's left and right and the xl600 to power the lows left and right and figured this setup should sing! NOPE same problem horrible distortion on the lows when trying to push it over half throttle. so I hooked them up to my NAD-C-375BEE and they sound pretty dam good but you can tell they need more juice but if i flip the switch on the speakers into extended mode the NAD cant handle it when I turn it up and shuts down into safe mode. if i have the NAD hooked up to my klipsch ref3 II speakers I can go over half throttle no problem and it sounds wickedly wonderful. this hafler xl600 is supposed to be the wholy grail and beast from what I've read but not impressed at all. I'm thinking maybe the hafler xl600 has something wrong with it? any thoughts? also I know some are going to say why do I need to turn it up over half, I dont allways listen to it that loud but sometimes... well you know heheh. besides if its too loud your probly too old?

I'd say there's probably something wrong with your amp. The XL600 is rated down to 1Ω so I don't think it's the speakers that's the problem. You don't hear it with the Klipsch speakers because they're more efficient and a less demanding load.

I went down this road, my advice if you've got a good preamp pickup a GX5 or a Crown 1502. Both are relativly cheap in the used market. Takes that power issue away. Sit back and enjoy !

I bought both of these amps new, the QSC GX5 will spank your Kappa 8's, only drawback is fan noise, which i eliminated with my own switch voiding the warranty. That amp is still working with my son in Oregon some 8 years later now.

I have the Crown xls 1502 now with the 8.1 Kappas and it's really overkill, the bonus is the fan is controlled and I've never heard the fan.

The sound quality, everyone is different. One thing I can say without reservation...you'll be backing off that volume knob pretty quick because your 8's are gong to let you know.

IMHO, welcome to the forum.

I’m assuming you are using the connecter straps on the back when using one amp and taking them off when using 2 amps. Just checking. I run my 9s with 2 Carver Tfm-25 s and they sing but with only one it’s a dud.

thanks for all the responses, I so much appreciate the advice. I too figured this amp should make these kappa 8's sing. I live in the spokane washington area. does anyone one know of somewhere I in this area i can take it to that is worth their salt?

Last edited:
thanks for all the responses, I so much appreciate the advice. I too figured this amp should make these kappa 8's sing. I live in the spokane washington area. does anyone one know of somewhere I in this area i can take it to that is worth their salt?

Hi tech audio Ltd. They specialize in carver amp rebuilds but they list Hafler also. They rebuilt my carver amp and it’s fantastic. Not cheap by any means but worth it.

Hi-Tech Audio Ltd.
Address: 2241 Loop Road

Stevenson, WA 98648

Telephone: 503-618-7605

"The" local tech: Joel Street bigamps@gmail.com
He's the best and knows the gear, and is where most of us locally take our toys to be restored.
Honest and very reasonable.
Steve
East South Hill

Back
Top Bottom