headphone users? what cans do you have?

Sennhieser HD414SL's (luv em), Sansui SS20's, Koss K6, Radio Shack (Koss) and AIWA HP-X10's.

PS, Use David Clarks' for my Drake R4B and TenTec RX320

Hey, please contact me if you're still here. I'll search for you otherwise as well. It's about the Aiwas. Thanks :)

Sony MDR-64, Sony MDR-51, Sony MDR-62, Sony MDR-M44, Sony MDR-M88, Philips SBC-890.
I need some more Sonys and Aiwas from the eighties :)

Ancient thread resurection,,,but WTH I'll play...

Current everyday HP rig is:
Desktop PC using/SB Zx soundcard's optical out > Parasound D/AC-1000 > NAD 106 preamp > AKG K240 DF.
That NAD 106 preamp is tailor made to drive the high impedence AKG headphones as it's HP section is rated to put out > 8V into 600ohms.
Can also pop a DOD 830 Series II EQ into the chain as well should I feel the need to,but usually I use the EQ in the 'puter for the cans as it's quicker & easier.

As for other headphones:
AKG K52 (bought new specifically for Sansui AU/TU-217 rack system)
AKG K140 closed back
AKG K140 open back
AKG K141
AKG K141 Monitor
AKG K240 Monitor
AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K240 DF (2 pairs of these)
Realistic Pro50 (AKA: AKG K250 ~ 2 pairs of these also)
AKG K260
Sony MDR-7506 (mostly used for gaming these days)
JVC HA-S360 (these live in my laptop bag)
Sennheiser PX-100II
TDK HP-100

As for powering my phones:
I also use my Kenwood KA-7300 (mostly used w/K140 closed back & open back) and Sansui AU-217 (w/those K52) w/headphones from time to time.

That or sometimes when I'm out & about I'll listen to my Sony walkman -or- Creative Zen Mosiac Mp3 players.
But I typically only use those w/the TDK & Sennheiser cans,but have used the Sony MDR-7506 from time to time.

So far the K240DF are top dogs around here,but the Pro50 & K240 Sextetts are tied for a very close second place.
And the Sony MDR-7506 are the best low impedence cans I have,I've had those for years and have nothing but respect for those cans.

FWIW

Bret P.
Add to this ^^^^ list ANOTHER pair of both the K240 Sextett and K240 DF.

Just too good a deal to pass up either...

FWIW

Bret P.

Eventhough I rarely listen to headphones, I really like Stax, so I've collected some bits and pieces over the years:

Earspeakers: Lambda, Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature, Lambda Spirit and SR-X Mk3
Energizers: SRD-6, SRD-7 and SRD-7SBmk2
Portable system: SR-001
Amps: SRM-Xh and SRM-1/Mk2 Pro
Accessories: HPS-1 stand complete with dustcover, and one of those grey old-school round extension cables (do they have a model number?)

Last edited:
Amplifier is yamaha as500.
Cans are
JVC ha rx700.
sennheiser px 90
And a pair of headphones that I really enjoy listening to because they are just so easy to live with and built like a tank.
Don't laugh lol
Ministry of sound mos 006

I have two pair but looking for another which I posted a question about. I currently have two Sennheisers, a model 414 and a HD535. I am surprised that the foam ear pads for the 414 are still available.

well, i just recently got back into headphones lately. i own pair of modded fostex t50rp's but, just recently went and bought myself a pair of my end-game dream headphones after so many years of wanting and waiting, pair of sennheiser hd800's! super excited and should have them by end of this coming week.

well, i just recently got back into headphones lately. i own pair of modded fostex t50rp's but, just recently went and bought myself a pair of my end-game dream headphones after so many years of wanting and waiting, pair of sennheiser hd800's! super excited and should have them by end of this coming week.

I'm not about to spend $1,000 for headphones, and I bet 99.9% of the people on earth can't tell the difference between those and a $400 planar headphones! And I also think you could distribute 100 pair of headphones ranging from $250 to $1000 to 100 people to swap and trade around without any idea of brand and cost, you could very likely get every single person to like a different headphone! Why? Because everyone has different preferences in sound.

I'm not about to spend $1,000 for headphones, and I bet 99.9% of the people on earth can't tell the difference between those and a $400 planar headphones! And I also think you could distribute 100 pair of headphones ranging from $250 to $1000 to 100 people to swap and trade around without any idea of brand and cost, you could very likely get every single person to like a different headphone!

You don't see the irony in your little rant?
One would guess Rex likes his modded T50RP's, and probably the HD800's, too.
Why? Because everyone has different preferences in sound.

You don't see the irony in your little rant?
One would guess Rex likes his modded T50RP's, and probably the HD800's, too.

I wasn't ranting, besides he was WAY out of line with trying to convince me to spend $600 more than I originally asked about, and if he wasn't suggesting that I get those than why mention them at all? He was completely out of touch with my question.
I'm not wanting to modded either.

This is the premise of the thread:
I came here from a headphone forum.
So, how many of you listen to headphones and what kind of cans do you have? List your headphone amps too!
I got Grado SR325s:cool:
md

I wasn't ranting, besides he was WAY out of line with trying to convince me to spend $600 more than I originally asked about, and if he wasn't suggesting that I get those than why mention them at all? He was completely out of touch with my question.
I'm not wanting to modded either.
You never asked a question in this thread, and therefore no one has recommended anything. You're imagining things.

This is the premise of the thread:

You never asked a question in this thread, and therefore no one has recommended anything. You're imagining things.

Damn it, my bad, my real bad! I'm sorry, I posted a question about new cans on this forum and got confused about what post I was on, and these were similar. I'm an idiot.

I used to use headphones quite a bit but these days, I mostly only wear them for listening to movies late at night.

I have a pair of AKG K240s, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, AKG Q701s, Audio Technica AD700s and Ultrasone PRO 550s. I also have a couple cheaper pairs of AKGs and Audio Technicas but I don't know the model numbers.

They aren't the best of the bunch, but these days I mostly use the AD700s for movies and the Q701s for occasionally listening to primarily orchestral music and acoustic jazz. I like the natural presentation.

Back in the day, I used the K240s for orchestral music and jazz and the M50s for more produced music like rock and electric-based jazz.

Last edited:
I just purchased a pair of Monoprice Monolith M560's (delivered yesterday) and a Nobsound NS-08E (delivered Friday). Currently I'm burning in both. After 40 to 50 hours on both I may report back.

Back
Top Bottom