Headphones for 10 year old boy

Lo-Fidelity

Would like recommendations from the forum on headphones for a 10 year old boy.

Salvation Army has a Christmas gift program called Angel Tree for kids who probably wouldn’t have much of a Christmas present wise without this program.

Our young fellow wants headphones and Ninja Turtle stuff.

Hopefully I can get some recommendations on headphones that pass the 10 year-old cool test and sound good without busting the budget.

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Cheers

How much are you allowed to spend, and would you experience guilt if you gifted something that looked cool but sounded... bad? Just trying to dial in before I chime in with any suggestions.

Be careful that the child does not permanently damage his hearing. My grandkids tend to turn theirs up a little too loud for my comfort. Headphones sound levels can get pretty high.

I hadn't really considered this factor. Thank you.

Daivid Clarke use to make some very rugged headphones for the Airplane industry and for football coaches on the sidelines. They don't sound to bad either and are extremely well shielded from outside noise. Maybe you can find some preowned ones that haven't been destroyed.

I had these when I was 10.... in 1994.
Highly recommend.
378612622132359rB.JPG

Sounded pretty good, and absolutely indestructible. Of course, the oldest pair is 47 years old, so condition may vary.

My kids use Monoprice over ear and IEMs. Good enough to be decent sounding and cheap enough for accidents. My son (11) has Tivoli towers and my daughter (7) NHT superzeros for comparison.

Edit: IEMs will be highly appreciated as those are what the cool kids have- earpods or what ever Apple calls them.

Sporta Pro are well regarded headphones for $25 or less on eBay. Porta Pro is another version for a little more, but sound the same - just better built perhaps.

They are not the most transparent sounding, but they have their own exciting fun sound that everyone will love - especially non-audiophiles!

Sony makes some pretty stylish and durable headphones. I bought some for my teenage daughter a couple years ago and they've become part of her clothes, more or less. Between Spotify and YouTube she's got all the "content" she's interested in.

Back
Top Bottom