Headphones for pregnancy.

OutlawSun

I figure this will either fly to the bottom or be an interesting thread. My significant other and I are expecting our first in April. We've been discussing trying the whole playing music idea during the pregnancy. I really haven't invested in a set of headphones in general yet and was planning to before I found out I'd be a dad. So I've got some leeway in picking up some headphones with the ideal price range being around 50-100 with the idea of continuing to use these. I'm leaning towards vintage to go with my overall pioneer silver face (8500 II) setup but also debated getting some newer Grado headphones. The main thing is I'd prefer headphones that are over the ear and swivel and/or have a pretty flexible headband which is hard to gauge through photos. They don't need to be bass heavy if anything I prefer a sound that's more east coast (ala KLH 6 or 17 speakers). But honestly open to any suggestions as far as decent models and manufacturers to look at and research.

Edit: Also as far as price range if you have something above that in mind that works great in the flexibility/swivel capacity. Could suggest it for folks in this boat in the future just note if they're above the ceiling.

Last edited:
If you want over the ear Grado is out.

Yeah kind of fell out of that range but mostly considered them as they can swivel quite a bit. So on ear is pretty much fine too to some extent. Really the only headphone type that's out are earbuds for obvious reasons.

Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506

Those are your bread and butter budget cans, they're essentially the same except one is labelled "for professionals"

The general Sony design (I have some MDR-V600's around) are robust, good-sounding, and the earcups will pivot 180 degrees, from facing directly 'in' to directly 'out'. They will also do a good job of stretching across a belly (ahem.) in case pre-natal-jams are in the plans.

One of the best sounds you'll ever hear is a tiny baby happily burbling away discovering her voice. Congrats.

Chip

Yeah kind of fell out of that range but mostly considered them as they can swivel quite a bit. So on ear is pretty much fine too to some extent. Really the only headphone type that's out are earbuds for obvious reasons.

I should have mentioned that I have a pair of SR-60's with upgraded cushions.

Definitely looking into the Sony MDRs. So what are some other contenders besides Sony? Also apparently got an $80 settlement check from the whole Sirius XM class action suit so gonna use that as potential stretch room above $100 if there's something particularly of interest. Was looking at Master & Dynamic MH30s or MH40 as it seems like they can be had for somewhat cheap used anyone have any opinions on these particularly the 30s? The reviews seemed decent as far as build quality and that they are on the warmer side of the spectrum.

One further, small point about the Sonys... Over time, there's a plastic-on-plastic creaking in the frame that develops, that shows up when you move around while wearing them. If you're relaxing in a chair or on a bed, no problem. But if you're sorting thru paperwork at a desk, it can get distracting during quiet passages. I need to look at them to determine what parts are moving, and whether they respond to some kind of lubrication. It's not cable-attachment related. But that's about the only flaw I see/hear in them.

Chip

Another thing to note with the Sonys is that the ear pads go bad. You can end up with yucky black stuff stuck to your ears.
It's a fixable problem, on the cheap even, just something to keep in mind.
I don't have a lot of headphone experience, so keep that in mind. I've enjoyed my MDRV600s for years.

I would play Abby Road and the White Album on mom's belly before my daughter was born and she turned out to be pretty cool. Her favorite bands, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead.

Figured I’d write an update ended up going with a pair of Master and Dynamic MH30s that were 130 slightly used (someone probably returned them because of a barely noticeable blemish). It was a stretch but my significant other was cool with it. Got them Friday and been trying them out did a baby music session for a bit. They’re built like a tank no plastic basically just aluminum, steel, and actual leather. Came in the box with all the accessories.

They’re on ear but seal well enough that I can’t hear anything around me at decent volume if needed. The other nice aspect particularly for the music sessions is there are 3.5 mm jacks on each cup. The cable can be used on either but you can also plug in a set of headphones into the unused jack and listen in. Which I figure will be handy in that my significant other can listen too. As far as sound they sound good the highs are slightly rolled off so they’re not harsh to listen to which I tend to prefer. The pads are comfortable for the most part though I have to adjust a bit to get them set right on my ears. But we’ll see how they hold up.

Attachments

• 6C6EDC79-7F1A-4D07-BED9-DFE795A1E44D.jpeg
    6C6EDC79-7F1A-4D07-BED9-DFE795A1E44D.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 8
  • FB59EEAD-4A32-4187-A3BE-8237C30BD16E.jpeg
    FB59EEAD-4A32-4187-A3BE-8237C30BD16E.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506

Those are your bread and butter budget cans, they're essentially the same except one is labelled "for professionals"

Yup. And the MDR-V6 has been manufactured since the '80s, so it is arguably "vintage." My go-to cans. Spend a few bucks more and get some Beyer velour pads to replace the stock ones.

Haha, after reading the title I had two responses:

"I'm not sure that works how you think it does." and "Are you trying to prevent or cause?" :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom