Hearing Aide Advice

shacky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've always read that hearing aides are not compatible with good audio. I'm getting a new pair of HA's. Dr. recommending Resound GN but noted their is a company that makes "musicians hearing aides".

Anybody have experience with the Resound or musicians?

BTW they are LINX 3D with receiver in ear. I'm trying them on trial basis. They have iPhone app with music program.

Dave might be able to give some insight.

I wear hearing aids (good ones that allow me to hear music better than I did when I was 18). Part of the reason I need them is because of the carelessness I exhibited when I was in my early 20s

I have ReSound Lynx 2 RIC. I use the "music" option frequently and do use the level control option for most satisfactory results, depending on situation.

Here is something Dave B. posted recently: "Hi, Louis. I have Widex hearing "instruments" (as my audiologist refers to them, not "aids." :) I call them hearing aids.) They have what is reputed to be the finest music program of any brand. Obviously, I haven't tried them all, but I can tell you that without these units in my ears (they are behind-the-ear models, not IN the ear), I'm essential deaf above 2500 Hz, which is deadly for classical music (and other musical) enjoyment, to say nothing of social interaction.

I can say without reservation that with these turned to the music program (one of seven different programs), I hear and enjoy music now better than I did when I was a teenager. I'm not exaggerating, because I listen now to the same LPs I had when I was in high school and can hear instrumentation and voice lines that I never discerned before. It's a true miracle for me and I give thanks daily for this technology.

My audiologist has these babies dialed in for me and was able to get that done after only two visits. They're not cheap at ~$6K but my insurance covered some of that and I can write some of it off as unreimbursed medical expense. I've noticed that the music program emphasizes mid-to-high frequencies (obviously), the ones I don't hear when I'm not wearing them. There's also a TV program that brings TV to life ("Thank God!" my wife says, after years of enduring stentorian TV volume on my behalf).

The programs are: Universal (for all-around general use), Music, TV, Comfort (which ratchets down the overall amplification in loud environments), and Relaxation, which I had my audiologist set to zero amplification ("off," IOW) so that I can turn off my aids when my wife is banging pots and pans in the kitchen (and in other very noisy places). There are also two "Zen" programs designed to calm stress and/or treat tinnitus. I also have fairly severe tinnitus (and sometimes stress (mostly stereo related :mad:), but this didn't seem to help me, so I rarely use them.

I have to change batteries about once every seven days, but part of the deal was free batteries for five years (a good deal, since these 312s cost about $20 for a month's worth), after which time, I'll probably get the latest Widex version. Oh, these can also stream music and phone calls from iPhones and Androids, but I have a BlackBerry, so I don't use that feature. Incredible sophistication in a tiny, tiny package.

I also have an optional remote control that looks like a tiny car-key fob. It can raise or lower the volume of any of the programs as well as rotate through them. This is very handy when you need to change a program or volume and you don't want to keep reaching up to the aid behind your ear to press the little button, making people think you have head lice. My audiologist threw in the remote as part of my deal. It's a $200 option.

I preach the gospel of (high quality) hearing aids all the time to people who have hearing loss. Studies show that hearing loss can lead to depression and dementia due to withdrawal from socialization. I can believe that.

Hope this answers your questions, Louis. Feel free to follow up if you need more information or opinions. These things have changed my life."

I have an appointment in a month to get fitted for hearing aids. I'll be following this thread.

Thanks. Saw Widex recommendation on HA forum too. I have 45 days to exchange.

Good info Pio, but that article is dated Aug 19, 2016. I think that this technology is making significant advances recently. Can't wait to see what is next.

Everything that I have read (notice that I didn't say 'heard') says that they cannot amplify frequencies above the 2,000 Hz where my hearing drops like a rock, so how are the doing this???? I'm guessing that their algorithms take the "sound energy" at a higher frequency and beat that down to a frequency that can be heard, or amplified.

I think they all mostly use similar modules, the algorithms are proprietary.

Last edited:
This is really great information and for a web site like this could easily be a sticky somewhere so it can be added to and updated over the years as this tech changes.

Had my hearing test done last week. Not that good. Looking at the Widex aids. Funny thing though, I can spot a quality speaker and sound system a mile away. I guess I have just gotten used to hearing "what I can hear" and using that as my reference for quality. My Audiologist wants 6,000 dollars for the model I want. Found that same model online for 3600 dollars, with a hearing test and fitting included. Looks like I will be twisting someones arm next week, when I go for the fitting at my Audiologists. Worst case is I say forget it and go the 3600 dollar route and have to wait a couple more weeks.

trinhsman, I wish you well with your Widex fitting. I paid $6K through my audiologist for my Widex units and every time I hear the triangle in the Liszt Piano Concerto #1, I want to drive to her office and give her a hug. They have changed my life and I am eternally thankful for the technology that made them possible.

[Apologies for repeating some stuff I wrote above. Should have checked that first.]

Regarding online vs. audiologist, all I can say is that having my audiologist handy has saved me a lot of grief. When I first got these, everything was too loud, so I went back for an adjustment and she had to change the actual amplifier circuitry, putting in a lower-powered amp. Among other perks, she threw in at no cost the little wireless remote control (~$200) that I keep in my shirt pocket for quick program changes. She also set me up with a mute program that shuts the units completely off. I use that when my wife decides to start banging pots and pans in the kitchen, among other times (grandkids, etc.).

Maybe the best perk is free batteries for five years. I go through a pair of #312 batteries once a week. I checked the price of a set of eight 312s at the drug store and one pack was just under $20. That's about $250/year at retail.

I include the cost of my hearing aids as part of my unreimbursed medical expenses on my income tax. I don't know how much of that I get back because I never ask my accountant, but it has to help some.

Anyway, the Widex music program is amazing, at least for me. I hope you find enjoyment with yours.

Dave

Great info everyone. I just ordered a pair of Widex Beyond 330 today. I go for the fitting in two weeks.

Do any of you wear aids to deal with tinnitus? That is my major problem. My ears ring so loudly that I can't hear a conversation across a table. I can only handle social or work situations for about an hour before it becomes so exhausting I just give up. Cross your fingers for me!

My ReSound Aleras would do tinnitus, but I didn't activate the feature as just having the aids seemed to help me.

Ended up getting the Starkey 2400. Found a deal online and through a local hearing aid company. Saved over 2000 dollars, compared to the Widex. A lot of research showed the Starkey was preferred by professional musicians compared to other brands. There music program is quite good. So, how does it sound? Not bad. Casual listening at low volume is much better than without the hearing aids. However.......if I'm going to do a listening session when the wife isn't home and crank it up a bit, I still prefer no hearing aids. The sound is just more open and spacious at higher volumes, without the aids. It is nice not to have to say "excuse me" anymore. Also, didn't realize we had so many singing birds around our house:rolleyes:

Lucky Pierre, I also have severe tinnitus and have found that my hearing aids diminish it quite a bit. Since they are pumping music and other sounds directly into my ear canals, the effect appears to be the same as when I wear headphones. The focus of the incoming sound waves appears to override the tinnitus, although that's just my layman's theory.

I think you'll find that your tinnitus almost disappears while you're listening to music and it will be reduced, perhaps significantly, while you're out and about in the world. Congratulations on a fine choice. Please let us know your impressions once you get used to them. Your life will improve!

Dave

Thanks Dave!

I am trying to not get my hopes up. Do you know how loud cicadas are on a hot autumn day? That is how loud my ears ring. I fear that if the aids don't help, there is nothing that will.

Back
Top Bottom