Heathkit AA & AP1800 Set

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
Not sure if this qualifies to this group....but perhaps they should. I actually got this set a few weeks back. The power amp working, the AP pre-amp not so much! None the less I dropped the pre at the repair shop and went on to play the amp with a Proton A1000 preap. The amp sound pretty good and I was more than mildly impressed. The dynamics were incredible, the resolution solid as a rock, to have been made in the early 1980's I was wild about my find on the local CL.

Today I got the AP1800 pre-amp out of the shop. NOW I AM impressed! You simple have to have these as a set to realize their best potential. The whole set was very very quiet, superb dynamics, excellent front to back imaging- my 4 ohm custom line arrays never sounded so good. The harder I pushed them the better it got. No "barking" or thinness, so seeming limitation. The pre has sooooo much control available one could toy with and tailor the sound forever! I finally set it flat and was more than pleased with that. While the Proton A1000 was not a bad or even second rate preamp- the AP1800 was just flat out better and had the synergy one needed to match up amp to preamp up very well together! If you get one or they other you only have have the story needed for a full story.

What few "salutes" I have received on this pair, now I am in the solid believer camp. I fully understand what the secret is about, why it's seldom mentioned but in tight circles of the audio lush. It is one of those systems that has to be "experienced" with speakers you know and like well and have the time to sit back and hear an amp/pre-amp potential like you probably never quite have before!

My previous system was an Acurus DIA MKII. It too was very solid and an excellent product- just not quite the sonic potential these have proven to show and win me over with. I had to decide which one system to keep- hands down the Heathkit AA & AP 1800 won me over with incredible dynamics and tonal flexibility. It is still very hard to beat the passive pre-amp section and solid build simplicity of the MkII all being said.

The AP1800 had some minor board cracking and several ribbon connectors needing attention. All the components were in good condition showing very minimal problems and measuring still closed to spec. To be an early 1980's model my repair person was impressed with it's switching capabilities and quality of build. Now that they are working again together I am elated to be an owner of such nice equipment with such superb capabilities of sound!

I again would like to hear from other owners of this same equipment too. I am sure I have not began to describe this set as well as can be.
DC

I have pretty much the entire Heathkit rack-mounted Pro Series - everything except for the tuner (I already had a nice Yamaha) and the digital output display unit. The rack and most of the units were built by me in the early 80s, and the rest I was lucky enough to score thru eBay and personal contacts. It took years to obtain all the components. With that said, when I sit back and listen to the AA-1800 (or AA-1600) and AP-1800 through my JBL L112 speakers all I can do is smile. Gives me goosebumps.
The only downside is - for best results - this type of system may not work well with neighbors in close proximity.

Congrats, they are really nice pieces to own and to listen to! Hope you enjoy them for a long time more!
DC

Back
Top Bottom