Hello from Akron, Ohio

bronkobri

Hello to all forum members! My name is Brian and I live in a small township south of Akron Oh. I am 67 years old and recently retired. I have a beautiful 31 year old daughter and a very handsome 5 year old grandson. I live with my younger brother who is disabled and on social security. He gets around real well and takes care of the housekeeping and yard work to stay busy. Life is good and with my small pension and social security we get by fine as long as we live within our means.
One thing I really love is music. I am an old rock and roller from the 60's. But I always liked it very bluesy. Cream, Stones, Old Fleetwood Mack (and I mean old) are a few. Also pure blues, Hound Dog Taylor, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James and the great Robert Johnson to name a few.
Now that I'm retired I would like to upgrade my system. I have an older set of AR M-4.5 front speakers that I have had rebuilt and a set of Polk's for surround with a Polk center channel (Cant remember the #'s of those). I think I will keep these but definitely want to upgrade my receiver. I have put a limit of $400.00 for the receiver. I would love it if anyone could give me your opinions on my purchase with this money limit.

Well that's about it. Looking forward to contributing to this great forum. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Brian Galvin

Welcome Brian from sunny Marlboro Township, a few miles east of you. What do you have now for a rcvr, & what do you expect from an upgrade? Lots of possibilities. .. you're gonna like this site, it's gonna hog a lot of your spare time! (Ask me how I know that!):rockon:

Do you want a surround sound receiver? If so there are tons of those on CL, I'm sure you can get a good one for less than $400

Hi Brian, from a former resident of Kent, OH. Lot's off good stuff to be had in Ohio from Goodwill and Craigslist. IMHO it's better to look what you can get for cheap, and try if it's any good, than to look for something specific and have to pay top $ for it. I got some really great receivers for $5 - $20.

Also, over the years I bought a lot of gear - and had some fixed - from Warren Bendler, aka dr*audio in this forum. Warren is a great guy, top quality work, and affordable pricing. Tell him I send you, and he'll charge you double. ;-)

Enjoy!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?members/dr-audio.365/

Last edited:
Welcome from Cleveland! Consider a stereo receiver rather than surround sound. It will have a better tuner and be easier to repair, and less likely to need repair.

Back
Top Bottom