Hello from Chicago

Hello everybody, I have been active on the forum for quite awhile but would like to formally introduce myself. My name is Mike and I spent my entire life in Chicago. The world of audio has been familiar for as long as I could remember since my Grandmother worked for Zenith, so our house was full of turntables, all-in-one entertainment consoles, and huge console AM/FM radios. I actually still have a Zenith console radio from the 40s, a tube tabletop from 1967, and a solid state from 1978.

I am relatively "new" to the world of Hi-Fi audio as it stands today. My first exposure to modern equipment came in 2011 after I finished changing the tubes on my Vox AC30 amplifier. That prompted some thought about how sound is created at the instrument level, which made me question why I am listening to compressed music. Somebody once told me that I am a "purist," so returning to analog with equipment that was state-of-the art made sense.

I purchased a used Music Hall MMF-5.1 and immediately set to taking it apart. I am not so much mechanically inclined, but I love to find out how things work. That table ran through a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and NAD C316 BEE and played on BW 685 S2 speakers. I slowly started gaining a better appreciation for what sets apart industry-standard "good" gear from the rest, and what audiophiles sometimes refer to as "real" equipment.

I figured that a good starting point for a respectable table would be SOTA, as their design and engineering makes sense, even to a non-technical person. Donna from the company states that "there is no better deal in the industry than a refurbished SOTA," and I believe she is correct. I checked all sorts of audio listings looking for a regular Sapphire, but ended up actually finding a Star model for a great price. The original owner spent big money on a Hi-Fi setup in the early 90s, then joined the airforce. By the time he had gotten back, he took a job as a Doctor and all the equipment at home sat unused for years. He was now in the process of moving and understandably didn't want to move around all this gear, so I got a lot more table than expected for a lot less.

The original owner had an old Souther Linear tonearm on it and those are more complicated than I would like to deal with, so I didn't touch it. I had to find an arm to replace it, something not too fancy, but with good design and quality. I attended AXPONA for the first time in April and SOTA had a Sapphire set up with a Jelco arm and Grado cartridge. It was here when I knew what should end up on my table at home. It was also at this show where I heard all the subtle differences preamps, amplifiers, cables, and speakers made. My exposure to the modern would of analog music just became "real."

So now I had the table, an arm and cartridge. I placed an order for replacement spiked feet, a clear dust cover (original was late 80s-early 90s ashtray brown) and new belt. Now the table was ready, but I still wasn't satisfied. I found a woodworking shop to build a custom-made audio shelf and isolation stand. Once that table was to be set down, I planned on it not moving for quite a long time.

As of right now, my table is in the process of final setup. Last week, I ordered a set of Philharmonic BMRs to replace the BWs. I have a Parasound JC 3 Jr and A23 on order (could have gone with other options here, but those sound phenomenal for the money as far as I am concerned. I also like John Curl and Richard Schram). Sometime in the very near future, the whole setup will be "complete" and I will have made the transition both from vintage gear to modern, respectable equipment. Long story, but maybe some of you will find this journey interesting. Great to be here, and look forward to sharing experiences on the forum!

Back
Top Bottom