Hello from Germany...

Welcome Tasha

Your husband must be friends with my wife.
She says "Crap' all the time my audio and electronic equipment :D

They just dont know :p

Heee Heee... :D He might be, you never know. He loves books and has tons and tons of them. Unfortunately his "library" is also my listening room... so I am considerate ( normally ;) )

Welcome Tasha! I used to live in Germany, in a little town called Gau-Algesheim, near Ingleheim, south of Mainz. I worked in Bad Kreuznach. I loved my time there. Germany is truly a beautiful country. Yes, it's cooler than what you're used to in Mississippi, but there are great trade-offs. The German people are wonderful too. I take it your husband is originally from there? He should organize some touring trips for the two of you. Definitely see some places like Trier and Rottenburg ob der Tauber.

I've heard that there's ample vintage audio gear in Germany, because people tend to take very good care of their things. Get yourself some Canton speakers! :thmbsp:

Welcome Tasha! I used to live in Germany, in a little town called Gau-Algesheim, near Ingleheim, south of Mainz. I worked in Bad Kreuznach. I loved my time there. Germany is truly a beautiful country. Yes, it's cooler than what you're used to in Mississippi, but there are great trade-offs. The German people are wonderful too. I take it your husband is originally from there? He should organize some touring trips for the two of you. Definitely see some places like Trier and Rottenburg ob der Tauber.

I've heard that there's ample vintage audio gear in Germany, because people tend to take very good care of their things. Get yourself some Canton speakers! :thmbsp:

I have already been to Mainz. My husband has family there we went to visit. His aunt is one of the curators at the Gutenberg Museum there. We are actually planning a trip to Rothenburg :D I would like to go in the Winter though, with snow on all the mid-evil buildings.

I have seen advertisements for Canton speakers, but have never listen to them. I brought a pair of Polks with me from home which I am using. :)

I know... :)
horrible local pronounciation of german :) don't learn german there...
Oberursel = Oschl :tears:
Had a friend there who is now a Schwoab.

Welcome to germany, hope you feel homely someday

The old Cantons I can recommend, at my office I have a pair of LE 250 driven by Luxman R1050, very nice sounding with a lack of deep bass - but those are the smallest. The LE 300 up to LE 500 should make very nice mains. I wouldn't go with the newer versions (Model # repeat in later years) - only the classic LE's are the one's I like :)

canton-le500-slika-5456699.jpg

Helge

Hi Avionic,

I am currently living in Bad Nauheim. That is a small town about 30km to the north of Frankfurt. Do you know the area?

Tasha :)

Last edited:
I have already been to Mainz. My husband has family there we went to visit. His aunt is one of the curators at the Gutenberg Museum there. We are actually planning a trip to Rothenburg :D I would like to go in the Winter though, with snow on all the mid-evil buildings.

I have seen advertisements for Canton speakers, but have never listen to them. I brought a pair of Polks with me from home which I am using. :)

Sounds great. Yes, I too appreciate the snow covered effect... but there's also something about early autumn that really catches me. Isn't the Rhein river valley area stunning? You should also take a boat tour down it sometime. The "Rhein aflame" usually done in early July is spectacular. You'll love Rottenburg, especially if you go there in the winter.

Canton is very popular in Germany and I'm sure you should be able to find used examples for very reasonable money. Polk has made some great models over the years (their SDA's are supposed to be stellar), and I'd say that they and Canton have some similar performing speakers. But the higher model Cantons are... well, seriously impressive. Definitely keep your eyes out for possible bargains. :)

Hi Tasha,
never trust someone who wants to tell you that Germans are nice.
They are boring:boring:and have no sense of humor.:banana:
I know that because I lived there for more than 50 years.:scratch2:
Maybe some are different, I met only a few.
Ok, ok welcome from a newbie to this site.

Karl

Hi Tasha,

Karl

I'll try to refrain from talking about the reputation of the Scottish (though it's quite similar to the Schwäbisch).:D

Hi Tasha,

Karl

LOL... Karl, ummm.... why thank you!!!

You know, boring... maybe. Without, humor.. I must beg to differ. Well at least my husband and his family have humor. What brought you to Scotland?

BTW: Let me welcome you as well. :D

I came to Scotland because of the job and fell in love with the country.
Great wildlife, nature and great people.

I forgot the Scotch:yippy:

They're definitely different in many ways, but are certainly known for their ........... shall we say, frugality.:D

Have you been with a bunch of Scots in a Pub? You will hardly find one with deep pockets and short arms.:D

Frugality may be right. Life can be very harsh up here in the north.

Have you been with a bunch of Scots in a Pub? You will hardly find one with deep pockets and short arms.:D

Frugality may be right. Live can be very harsh up here in the north.

I'm just busting your chops. I lived in Germany for 11 years and have travelled extensively in the UK, including a very fun 2 week camping trip to Scotland (years ago). We partook often of the 3 main food groups there - salmon, lamb and Scotch. :yes:

I went to Der Fodderlandt (Bonn, Koln, Bad Godesburg) in '78 on a college trip....My last name is "Geiger", & whenever I said it, they'd all start yackin' at me in German...I'd go "Whoa, fellers, I'm from East Tennessee-I gots problems enuff w/English, much less this German stuff..."

Alright KG, you've been posting with resolve (well done!) and it seems to me that you're going to stick around this place for a spell, so it's about time I welcomed you to the AK boards. Welcome to AK, grrl. :thmbsp:

Hey, how come the pretty girl gets 10 times more welcomes than I did :dunno:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Welcome to AK :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom