Help me choose a DAC < $800 (Bryston BDA-1 or Rega DAC R) or?

Strong recommendation here for the Rega Dac-R.

My experience with DACs has taken me from Parasound ZDac (okay for starters) to Benchmark DAC1 USB (huge step up) to Sony HAP-Z1ES server (superb SQ, but limited functionality) to a Rega Dac-R, which I love. I am not a techie so I can't help with any of that, but as the saying goes, I know what I like.

I also have a Marantz SA11S2 SACD player. I have recently been comparing the Marantz (playing Redbook) to the Rega (WAV and FLAC 16/44), and the Sony playing WAV 16/44 but upscaled to DSD.

I think the Marantz sounds best, which didn't surprise me as it's by far the most expensive. What DID surprise me is I like the Rega much better than the Sony. And I really like the Sony, as do many. The Rega DAC-R seems to me a bit more open and musical. I paid $700 for mine in as new condition, basically open box. I use it for streaming online radio stations, such as Radio Paradise in FLAC. Superb SQ. At $1100 street price new ($1,195 MSRP), it is a great value. A gently used one at $700 is a steal.

Some (What HiFi is one) say the USB connection is weak. I don't get that at all. I'm streaming via USB from a Windows 7 ThinkPad using Microsoft Media Player--nothing fancy-- and see no reason for a USB to SPDIF converter. The following is from Stereophile review July 29, 2015:

"The most significant change for computer-audio users is that the DAC-R has an XMOS-based, 24/192 USB asynchronous input. In his review four years ago, Sam quoted Terry Bateman, Rega's electronics design engineer, as saying that Rega didn't see USB "as a high-tier audio interface." Things change—the USB input stage now feeds the optical and coaxial input stages via an isolating transformer, totally isolating the DAC from the host computer."

My experience with DACs has taken me from Parasound ZDac (okay for starters) to Benchmark DAC1 USB (huge step up) to Sony HAP-Z1ES server (superb SQ, but limited functionality) to a Rega Dac-R, which I love. I am not a techie so I can't help with any of that, but as the saying goes, I know what I like.

I also have a Marantz SA11S2 SACD player. I have recently been comparing the Marantz (playing Redbook) to the Rega (WAV and FLAC 16/44), and the Sony playing WAV 16/44 but upscaled to DSD.

I think the Marantz sounds best, which didn't surprise me as it's by far the most expensive. What DID surprise me is I like the Rega much better than the Sony. And I really like the Sony, as do many. The Rega DAC-R seems to me a bit more open and musical. I paid $700 for mine in as new condition, basically open box. I use it for streaming online radio stations, such as Radio Paradise in FLAC. Superb SQ. At $1100 street price new ($1,195 MSRP), it is a great value. A gently used one at $700 is a steal.

Some (What HiFi is one) say the USB connection is weak. I don't get that at all. I'm streaming via USB from a Windows 7 ThinkPad using Microsoft Media Player--nothing fancy-- and see no reason for a USB to SPDIF converter. The following is from Stereophile review July 29, 2015:

"The most significant change for computer-audio users is that the DAC-R has an XMOS-based, 24/192 USB asynchronous input. In his review four years ago, Sam quoted Terry Bateman, Rega's electronics design engineer, as saying that Rega didn't see USB "as a high-tier audio interface." Things change—the USB input stage now feeds the optical and coaxial input stages via an isolating transformer, totally isolating the DAC from the host computer."

Very helpful, thank you. I'm going to audition one tomorrow hopefully.

They've updated the USB interface in the Rega along the way if memory serves and maybe some other things from the original DAC, so the DAC-R would be the one to get.

If you stretch a bit the budget, consider a RME ADI2 Dac, the headphone section will be covered and tons of equalizing..

Curiosity getting the better of me here but what functionality was missing from the Sony sever?

Depending if you can stretch your budget a bit, you could go for a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II with bridge for as low as 1100$US if purchased on the canadian used market. I would have chosen this DAC only if it had HDMI video out since I use my DAC for listening music and watching movies. The bridge option would eliminate extra cabling and freeing shelving space altogheter while giving you superior streaming. Also, the PW has volume control which is really nice for vintage gear.

Curiosity getting the better of me here but what functionality was missing from the Sony sever?

You can't use it as a standalone DAC, so I can't stream online radio stations through it. It does offer streaming through Spotify (I don't use ) and TuneIn (I do use), but not at HD rates. It sounds decent because it does upscale these feeds to DSD (don't ask me how). But when I streamed an online station in FLAC (Radio Paradise) through my Rega DAC-R and compared it to the same station though TuneIn on the Sony, the difference was stunning.

The Bryston BDA-1 is a very good DAC. Along the PS Audio Perfect Wave, it was on my list but I decided to future proof with the purchase of a BDA-3, since it has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI video out. The only thing you have to consider with the BDA-1 is the USB input. Bryston products are roughly priced the same on the Canadian and US used Markets; so a 750$CA BDA-1 in Canada will be 750$US in USA. 35% mark up right there.

Interested in what you thought of the Rega.

Well, it sounded great, but again, I could not tell it from the Emotiva XDA-2. Even changing filters made no real perceptible difference to my ears. Tested it for a week, during the day and evenings usually about 1-2 hours. Tried most styles of music (that I like), Cosmic Hippo from Bela Flek, Tin Pan Alley by SRV, Freefallin' by Tom Petty, Frank Sinatra and Talking Book by Stevie Wonder.

All sources were 44.1/16 FLAC files. This might be the issue, I've read the filter adjustments on DACs are more noticeable at higher bitrates. Both the Chord and the Rega may be better than the Emotiva at hi-rez audio, but I will never know. I have no plans to convert my ripped CD collection to hi-rez so redbook is my test source. I just can't see spending $700 or more on a DAC when I have one that sounds the same (to me) so I returned it (the Rega) as well.

Thank you to everyone that responded, I learned so much here, this is really a great community.

To sum it up, in my room and to my ears, using redbook CD quality files: Emotiva XDA-2 = Rega DAC-R = Chord Qutest

Given that I absolutely hate the way the XDA-2 *looks*, rather than spending money on a new DAC, I bought a Packard Bell stereo console to hide the Emotiva (total cost DAC + console < $350)

0228192246_2.jpg

“To my ears in my room” ..... it is hard to overestimate the value of that. You had a great advantage to be able to try those pieces in you system, in your room. Congrats..

Well, it sounded great, but again, I could not tell it from the Emotiva XDA-2. Even changing filters made no real perceptible difference to my ears. Tested it for a week, during the day and evenings usually about 1-2 hours. Tried most styles of music (that I like), Cosmic Hippo from Bela Flek, Tin Pan Alley by SRV, Freefallin' by Tom Petty, Frank Sinatra and Talking Book by Stevie Wonder.

All sources were 44.1/16 FLAC files. This might be the issue, I've read the filter adjustments on DACs are more noticeable at higher bitrates. Both the Chord and the Rega may be better than the Emotiva at hi-rez audio, but I will never know. I have no plans to convert my ripped CD collection to hi-rez so redbook is my test source. I just can't see spending $700 or more on a DAC when I have one that sounds the same (to me) so I returned it (the Rega) as well.

Thank you to everyone that responded, I learned so much here, this is really a great community.

To sum it up, in my room and to my ears, using redbook CD quality files: Emotiva XDA-2 = Rega DAC-R = Chord Qutest

Given that I absolutely hate the way the XDA-2 *looks*, rather than spending money on a new DAC, I bought a Packard Bell stereo console to hide the Emotiva (total cost DAC + console < $350)

View attachment 1436654
What speakers are you using?

My first stand-alone DAC was an Emotiva. It sounded great but I found the volume control too attenuated. (A dumb problem, I know ....). I had a tubed Chinese DAC, Maverick, never really happy with that -- the tube, really an output stage tube, added too much distortion. I bought a used Assemblage DAC that I still have (most impressed with the polarity switch & HDCD decoding capability), but now my main DAC is a used Rega that I picked up at a reasonable price. I do use the filters and find that changing them up based on type of music I'm listening to can make a slight although definitely discernable difference to my ears. I only use the DAC for redbook CDs.

These DACs feed my McIntosh amplifiers set-up, and I use the very cheap Schiit SYS switch to toggle between them.
The Rega gets fed thru co-ax, the Assemblage fed thru optical glass cable spdif.

If I did replace the Rega, I'd really want to try out an R2R like the Metrum or Soekris but I find that my price point is below $500.

Just my perspective. Hope you are enjoying your choice.

View attachment 1436654

LOVE that console!! where did you score that from? I want one almost just like that but need drawers/storage in it instead of the old gear in it :)

I got lucky, I spotted it on the local CL within an hour of it being posted and hauled ass over to wash park to pick it up. :)

Like you I wanted one to put gear inside of and this one was already prepped with a shelf on the right side where the speaker went. Got my DAC and RPI in there now. In the center portion someone had removed the turntable so I got it cheap. I came *really* close to trying to pick up the BDI console but at over 2k, this vintage one more cost effective. :-D

I got lucky, I spotted it on the local CL within an hour of it being posted and hauled ass over to wash park to pick it up. :)

Like you I wanted one to put gear inside of and this one was already prepped with a shelf on the right side where the speaker went. Got my DAC and RPI in there now. In the center portion someone had removed the turntable so I got it cheap. I came *really* close to trying to pick up the BDI console but at over 2k, this vintage one more cost effective. :-D

Lucky dog!

I've found not much difference in lower-cost DAC's, at least the few that I have tried - Emotiva XDA-2, Fiio D3, Peachtree Dac-it and DAc-itX.

I do "think" my Bel Canto 3.3VB and PS Audio Perfectwave MKII sound better than the lower cost options I was using. I THINK. It's hard to say 100% because I have different gear now - largely different amplifiers.

All I can say is I'm happy with the 2 DAC's I currently have.

Glad you are happy, got to experiment, and save yourself some money.

Some folks got a little excited on this thread about specific circuit components. Keep in mind that the individual parts aren't as important as the designer putting them together or the system they are in. Just about every DAC has an opamp in it somewhere and the tube-based DACs mostly use the tubes as buffers as opposed to active amplifying devices. As several have said, others' opinions are interesting, but how the DAC sounds to you in your system is certainly the most compelling data point.

Just about every DAC has an opamp in it somewhere and the tube-based DACs mostly use the tubes as buffers as opposed to active amplifying devices.
Fortunately, that is just not the case. Many companies use JFETs or tubes for the output stage.

And even those with op amps can be replaced with FET based modules from companies like Sparko and Burson Audio.

Back
Top Bottom