Help me choose an amp

What is your budget?

I'm not a tube headphone amp expert by any stretch but an an entry level price, the Little Dot Mk I and Mk II amps get a lot of praise. I just ordered the Mk I with upgraded tubes for just over $100.

Of course, I'm sure the tubey goodness goes WAY up from there.

:p

I got my son a Schiit Valhalla2 last year. He left it hooked up to my system and whenever he decides to move and take it, I'll get another for myself.
We both have Sennheiser HD580's. Very even, non fatigueing sound.

I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 as well, and use it with my HD600s. It sounds great. I have tried it with my dad's old 5XXs (I cannot remember the exact model, though they are not 80s or 95s...) They sounded pretty good too.

The question though is your budget and location. Getting Schiit outside of the US seems like it can be tricky (I am not fully sure) and the Valhalla 2 is $349. There are other headphone amps that are cheaper and others that are more expensive.

If your on a low budget, like me. I can recommend the little hibrid Nobsound NS-08e with upgraded tubes. You can pick one up for around $50 and it seems to drive most headphones no problem.

I have been using a Garage 1217 Project Sunrise for about a month or so and I have enjoyed every minute of it. It sounds great with my Grado RS2s. It has excellent clarity and reproduces instrument and vocal timbre accurately.
I have owned or tried several headphone amps and this one is better.

Schiit Vali2. You can swap the tube if you want a different sound. Regulated power supply, hi/lo gain, low distortion, and enough power for almost any set of cans. I have the first-gen Vali, driving Senn HD280-Pro 'phones, and it's a very smooth little amp.

Back
Top Bottom