Help me figure out which receiver I had...

slateef

So, my parents gave me their old receiver in the mid-1980's. I think they bought it in the 1970s. I used it in high school and loved it. I don't remember what happened to it...mom must have given it away after I went off to medical school. For the life of me, I cannot remember the brand/model.

It had a bright green face/dial. It had a cylindrical toggle switch for power. Big round tuning dial. That's about the extent that I can remember. Anyone have any idea?

Try a google image search. Something like "vintage receiver" and scan through the pics. Here's one I found with green dial and round toggle switch...

stop-motion-of-a-vintage-radio-receiver-with-lit-up-abstract-frequency-dial-this-is-a-super-high-quality-4k-version-at-4096x2304-pixels_v1-nd72m__F0000.png

We're gonna need some clarification on this description. I took "big round tuning dial" to mean big round tuning knob. :dunno:

And if in fact the power switch is a cylindrical toggle switch, that does narrow it down a little.

Yes, turning knob...sorry. Yes, the power switch was a cylindrical toggle switch (and I think some of the other switches were, too - like stereo/mono, loudness, etc). The toggle switches were not like the Sonys though...in the Sonys, the switches are cylindrical but only the tips...the switch tapers to flat metal as it joins the body of the receiver. In my old receiver, the cylindrical toggle switches were cylindrical for the whole length of the switch, if that makes any sense.

The tuning display was horizontal, not round, right? It was the knob that was big and round, I think is what you were saying.

I would just scan through this image search and see what jogs your memory.

I wonder if by round toggle switch he means the Alps power switch like Kenwood used in the mid-70s. If it had a toggle like that it might narrow down the candidates.
IMG_20180703_011624.jpg

If so wonder if it could be an old JVC similar to this vintage. Or something else like it. Cylindrical toggles, big tuning knob, green face.

jvc receiver.jpg

dly66, you da man! Thanks again. Now I need to stalk Ebay to pick one up for nostalgia's sake. There's only one available right now, but something about the left channel being softer worries me.

qdrone, this place is amazing. Very knowledgeable and helpful people.

Back
Top Bottom