1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me spend $1500

Discussion in 'DACs' started by rocknroll1, Jul 23, 2018.

1. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have not decided yet. I am getting more confused the more I look.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PPstereo

PPstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just wondering what about the teac is a let down to you?

Btw I don't ask to be argumentative or anything of the sort. I've read your thoughts on digital and felt you've given it allot of time and thought. So I ask with genuine interest.

I've come close to grabbing a prism lyra. Any thoughts on that unit?

Thanks much

3. saggy

saggy These go to 11 Subscriber

You'll have to excuse my comment slightly, as I have heard the 501 but not the 503. I'm sure the 503 is an improvement. I felt the 501 left the music flat and unexciting. I felt it was more neutral than what I heard out of both the Sonos and Bluesound internal DACs, but just wasn't very "forward," if I can use that term.

The Mytek provides an exceptional depth of soundstage and has all those other bells and whistles, including full MQA and a useful phono pre.

After reading more about the 503 I am intrigued and would like to have a listen. I wouldn't expect it to beat the Mytek, but it's also half the price. It looks like a real nice unit. That being said, if it has the same sound sig that the 501 has, it's not my bag - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be yours.

UD-501: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-501/
    UD-503: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-503/

4. rocknroll1

What about the new Teac 505?

5. saggy

saggy These go to 11 Subscriber

There's a 505 now??? haha. I'm falling behind! I will have to find one and have a demo. Looks nice, though!

6. rocknroll1

I think its new this year

7. vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0 vintage 5.0 Subscriber

Well it sure is fun to decide on what you want to get. I like the PS audio NU wave. It will only cost you less than half of your amount and it is by far the best one I have used. It is also really well built and looks good.

8. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

If you want an analog sounding unit...with a great DAC chip..Well, I guess its not a stand alone DAC, but it doesnt have a digital IN...But the DAC section is awesome.

I saw online this:
    SONIC FRONTIERS SFCD-1 SE CD Player - UA D20400A 20-BIT Ladder DAC chip and tubes and updated Mundorf caps...$1350.00.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

or any of the AudioLogic units online..

10. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

I'm surprised the Ayre Codex wasn't a suggestion to the OP.

Has anyone been able to listen to one side by side with the McIntosh? I was very impressed by the Ayre when I heard it, and the price is pretty close to the 1500 budget.

11. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Slightly over budget, but a first quality hand assembled in USA unit with an excellent balanced discrete JFET analog stage (no op amps) - which is what I find makes the most audible difference. Dual power supplies.

Audio Research DAC7