Help please with Empire 888 TE replacement 78 needle

Newoldstereo

Help replacement cartridge for 78's on my Empire 398 with 980 arm.

Can anyone suggest a replacement cartridge that will fit my Empire 398 that has the 980 arm.

Looks like there are no 78 needles for the Empire 888TE cartridge so I guess I need to replace the entire cartridge to make it a designated 78 player.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Last night I mounted a Shure M78S to use on a particular Dual changer. I could not remember the tracking force and when looking for that, discovered Shure discontinued that cartridge not long ago. When I purchased it they were not expensive (Amazon had them on sale for about $35) but the prices I see now are well over $100.

The only options I know of to play 78's is one of those Shure's, a Stanton 500 or 681 with compatible 78 stylus. Or, find a generic 78 stylus (like for a Shure) from one of the big vendors then buy whatever cartridge body that stylus will fit.

There may be different means but others will need to identify them.

Voice Of Music has 78 RPM 761 and 767 series, and maybe others, for Shure M91 and M95. Those cartridges are easy to come by. That's the route I took for my Dual 1019. It's easy to swap in and adjust tracking force for the infrequent times I play 78s.

I would stay away from the Shure M78S, especially at today's prices. I have one and changing to a better stylus made a world of difference. What's your price range?

Back
Top Bottom