Help with Ampex Stereo

kkumabear

PICT0035.JPG I need some help with my Ampex Console Stereo. Purchased from Ampex through a friend who got it on his employee discount. He was an engineer at the time and worked closely with the team that designed and developed the their stereo system. It worked well and looked like the day it was delivered, but I married a rancher eleven years ago and moved into a very small home built in 1867 and we are just now getting ready to make room for some of my things. When I married I purchased a shipping container to protect my belongings and the Ampex got wrapped up and stored in the container. I've checked it and still looks like the day it was delivered in 1961, but I'm afraid to turn it on without having someone go through it and tune it up. I need help to figure out how to find someone. Last time I tuned it was in the late 80's or early 90's and lived around Boise then and it was very difficult to find someone who knew the machine. Any direction would be helpful. Thanks. (I am looking for the schematic, I can't remember where I filed it).

Attachments

• PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to AK! If you tell us your location someone here may know a reliable technician in your area. You are right not to turn the unit on. After all these years the power supply capacitors and coupling capacitors all need replaced. That is most of what needs to be done. The tuner will probably need alignment as well, tubes must be tested and replaced as needed.

I never took interior pictures and it's all wrapped up right now, the picture I posted was taken before moving. I am looking for the schematic that came with it, which has all the pertinent information. I'm not sure where I put it after moving, but I do have it. I am in Southeast Washington State, and the closest town of any size is Walla Walla. I did find a Vintage Repair Store in the tri-cities that I will call tomorrow (about 75 miles from here). I do need someone who will come out, as I won't leave it anywhere and don't want to haul in order to avoid damage from moving. This is the baby in the family and has been well cared for since we got it. However, I will pay the right person fairly for whatever trips are required. This is what happens when you keep something long enough, it begins to be a headache to take care of. However, this is only the 2nd time it has needed someone to look at it.

Beautiful piece of furniture and I bet the insides are top notch as well. I worked with Ampex equipment in my days in broadcast and it was very well built. Good luck getting it serviced and back in use.

How close are you to Cheney? I know a diy tech there.
A couple of hours. Might be doable. I've been looking for a local person, but I don't have any connections. I'm just starting to fix my house so it could be as late as next spring/summer before I bring it in. Thanks.

Beautiful piece of furniture and I bet the insides are top notch as well. I worked with Ampex equipment in my days in broadcast and it was very well built. Good luck getting it serviced and back in use.
Thank you. Even with the employee discount it cost an arm and a leg and we wete never rich, so it has always been babied.

You could pull the amps and pre-amp and take them to the service guy. That would be most of the gear

The changer and tape deck can also be removed for easier transport

What a beautiful piece of furniture! All good advice above.

It makes no sense to transport the console for repair.

If you were to hire a local repair service, the greatest likelihood is that they would make a service call to your residence, pull the back off the unit, affix pairs of number labels everywhere a cable is disconnected, label the amplifiers L and R, disconnect all the cables, remove the major components, transport them to their shop, repair and test them on their own workbench, and visit again to reinstall them and test the unit as a system.

The repairman will find the insides of the unit very dusty after removing the back cover - and it is an unknown as to whether or not he will vacuum the dust from the cabinet before disassembly - or cut corners by pulling the equipment with the dust in place - leaving some in the console and the rest in your airspace. So you might Inquire as to whether the repairman will be able to vacuum the inside of the cabinet. It does take a while to do so thoroughly.

I would have to agree with Omegaman (assuming you or yours are comfortable with the relatively simple task of removing major components from the console). You could potentially save substantial portion of the labor by delivering the preamplifier and amplifiers to the repair shop to have the critical capacitors replaced and a tuneup, then reinstalling the components yourself.

A good starting place would be to pick up a sewing machine vacuum cleaner accessory kit for about $15 at Harbor Freight or Home Depot. You might want to pick up some earplugs at the same time. Remove the back of the unit and carefully vacuum everything. It will take much of an hour but is a worthwhile effort. The lettering on the tubes is very vulnerable to wear - so steer clear of the lettering on the tubes.

If you want to move on from there to disassembly, the cable connections in the back of the unit are diagrammed in your Owners Manual. Take a few photographs of the cable harnessing before disconnecting the cables to make it easier to return it to the original configuration. Labeling the connections might be helpful as well. A job done properly would include using contact preservative on the connections when reinstalling. Another unknown as to whether a repairman would take the effort.

With basic hand tools and the vacuum cleaner kit it's really not a difficult task. Again, it depends on aptitude, but if you are up to the task you'll probably provide greater attention to detail and have the comfort of knowing exactly what was done. Since it has to be transported from your shipping container to your home, it would make sense to remove the major components for repair before moving the console to your home.

We can help you out a bit better here if you post the model details and some pictures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom