Help with BMX ID ?

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all,

My first post outside of the audio realm so here goes. My son has been looking for an 'old skool' BMX for a while and today I think I found a good bike at the recyclers. I'm not too into bikes, but I know the GT brand is well regarded and this one appears to be a GT Performer Pro, possibly a late Nineties model.

Could anyone assist with pinpointing the model year or any more info about the bike ? I've sent a registration to the BMX museum site but I figured I would also ask the all-knowing AK collective :) Sorry for the bad pic, it's still in the car.....

IMG_20170223_150058.jpg

I used to race bmx in the 70s. Now I feel like I'm 70:). That is more of a bike for tricks with the pegs on the outside of the frame. Freestyle it was called. I would have to do some checking to figure out when it was made but I would guess the late 80s or so. I had some nice ones. DG, Redline, schwin, Race,fmf etc. I had a motobike made by yamaha that was too heavy to race but it had shocks and are rare and worth some cash. I will do some checking on the bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_BMX

Last edited:
You might reach out to our fearless leader, Grumpy. He allegedly knows a thing or two about old school BMX.

Hey thanks, I've got an ID on the bike thanks to the people over at BMX Museum. It's a Trek Subvert 2.0 from around 96-97. It's had GT stickers put on it, presumably after receiving a paint job. Funny thing is, there was an actual GT Performer Pro for sale on our auction site recently for less than I paid for this pretender !!!

I used to race bmx in the 70s. Now I feel like I'm 70:). That is more of a bike for tricks with the pegs on the outside of the frame. Freestyle it was called. I would have to do some checking to figure out when it was made but I would guess the late 80s or so. I had some nice ones. DG, Redline, schwin, Race,fmf etc. I had a motobike made by yamaha that was too heavy to race but it had shocks and are rare and worth some cash. I will do some checking on the bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_BMX

There was a family near me in FL back then that raced BMX pretty seriously. They actually had bike races with side cars, too. Seriously.
Haro was a big name back then, too.
Was there a Black Diamond as well?

Yeah, it was a long time ago so I'm probably not remembering it correctly. Too many spills off the ramp I guess.

As long as it's in good working order (freestyles tend to get pretty beat up, so make sure to check the headset, crank bearings, and other wearing parts) that should be a decent bike. I had one of the later models (a '00 I think), and except for a snapped brake cable I didn't have any trouble with it.

Back
Top Bottom