Help with Denon DP-30L....motor starts, then dies?

Fishead

Gone fishin' Steada just wishin'
Subscriber
Trying to help out a friend with the Denon DP-30L TT. It starts fine, runs for 5-10 minutes, then just stops! Wait a while, maybe 5-10 minutes, turn it back on and it starts again but then the same symptom.....dies.

While dead, I manipulated the speed control wheel a few turns back and forth and it started up again. Doing so after it stopped did not consistently "revive" it, so thinking I may have happened upon part of the issue but not the entire thing. I can get it to start that way, but not consistently.

I've opened it up and cleaned the speed control dial pot with Deoxit D5 (twice now), pulled the power plug on the circuit board that comes from the motor and cleaned the plug and the 3 pins that it attaches to (which were fairly corroded) and they are now looking very clean again. I'm thinking it is in the motor, but would sure like to hear from some of the Denon folks here who may have experienced this symptom themselves and hope for some advice.

Next step would be to disassemble the motor and see what might be cleaned in there, but am holding off until I hear back from you.

Thanks very kindly.

Thanks, jblmar, I do have a schematic and was hoping I would not need to test the caps......but, you might be very right. Is there anything else you can think of short of that?

PS - Visual inspection of all capacitors.....none looked like they had bulges on the tops or anything else conspicuous, but I know that is not always the case when they go. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You're welcome.
Can you post the schematic?
I would suggest not opening the motor as this could lead to futher headaches.

I am pretty sure this is a direct drive table; no startup or run cap. It should have 2 internal speed adjust trim pots. Try cleaning them. It may also have a gain adjustment pot for the motor phase lock loop circuit. If so, you can try turning it slightly in both directions and leave it midway in the range where the platter turns.

Thanks for that, dr*audio! I will follow up with that!

jblmar, here's a link to the service manual:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-30l.shtml

You need to log in to see this. Scroll down the page and you will see a link to the service manual. Sure would appreciate what you think.

dr*audio, would you have a look also, and perhaps point me to the pots you are referring to? Thanks so much!

You can also try disconnecting & reconnecting the connectors leading to or from the motor. Dirty contacts?
You can spray some Deoxit to clean the contacts
After the above, you can check continuity with your DMM in the continuity setting. With the power OFF.
If you can, measure the DCV to the motor or from the Servo board.

VR1 is the 33 adjustment and VR2 is the 45 adjust. Note that VR2 is in series with both the internal and external speed adjustments, so it affects 33 even if it is for 45. Also since it's in series, if that pot were dirty it could cause this problem. Also, this motor does have a start / run cap, C58.

Thanks, I will do that........ and especially for the very explicit directions......so much appreciated!

You can also try disconnecting & reconnecting the connectors leading to or from the motor. Dirty contacts?
You can spray some Deoxit to clean the contacts
After the above, you can check continuity with your DMM in the continuity setting. With the power OFF.
If you can, measure the DCV to the motor or from the Servo board.

Yep, did that as I mentioned in the first post.....good call.

May not help but I had this table and it came with speed issues.Turning the speed control back and forth about what seemed to be 100 times took care of my problems with the turntable that is.

Chubba, you are very spot-on......after leaving the table set a while, we turned in back on and it has been functioning properly ever since! Maybe it just took the Deoxit some time to resolve the corrosion? We are planning on having it off until in the morning, when we shall repeat the previous tests all day long if necessary to ensure reliability. Hopefully it is solved, but if not I have some great suggestions from fellow AKers to pursue. Thanks for your comment.

Update......:-( :-( After the table worked fine for the better part of 4 hours last night, turning on and off, back on without fail, turned it off for the night and started it up again this morning. Fired right up. After several cycles of turning it on and off, it then would not turn back on. Waited about 5 minutes and it turned back on, but then almost immediately the motor stopped again. Went under the hood and attended to the manipulating/cleaning (deoxit) of VR1 and VR2 and started it up......started without a hitch. Will let it go like this for a few hours, turning on and off, and hoping that fixes the problem. If not, got to take up the circuit board and have a look at those solder joints dr*audio mentioned, reheat if the brown rings are there anywhere......hoping for a fix, will keep you posted. Thanks once again.

Update 2.

Man, just can't seem to solve this problem totally. The table now, after letting it just spin for several hours.....turn it off, turn it back on within a minute or so and try to start it and sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

I've done everything mentioned so far, everything, and while improved (it does act "normally" a good part of the time now vs. when first started the work on it) it still hiccups on that occasion. Does that sound like maybe the start/run cap is going? I don't have any of these, likely would be a problem getting one anyway in the next couple days.... Any further observations would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, my buddy who owns it took it to a shop in Colorado Springs where the tech said it would take more time to diagnose the problem than it would be worth considering his per hour charge.....looks like it will not be "up and running" any time soon.....:(

That's unfortunate.
I have some similar problems, mine won't start at all so I'll have to check everything inside :no:

It might be a bad hall effect device. Have you tried manually spinning (give it a little push) the platter when it stops to see if it will start spinning again?

It might be a bad hall effect device. Have you tried manually spinning (give it a little push) the platter when it stops to see if it will start spinning again?

Are you referring to me?
The table does absolutely nothing except for the strobe light that is flickering very randomly.
nothing else works, moving the platter has no effect, nor moving the arm or pushing any button.
Solderings seem to look ok at the underside of the big circuit board, as well as components. Nothing visible to my naked eye o_O

Back
Top Bottom