Help with Denon DP-30L....motor starts, then dies?

That's unfortunate.
I have some similar problems, mine won't start at all so I'll have to check everything inside :no:
Good luck Dan, hope you can get it running as it is otherwise a very, very nice table.

VR1 is the 33 adjustment and VR2 is the 45 adjust. Note that VR2 is in series with both the internal and external speed adjustments, so it affects 33 even if it is for 45. Also since it's in series, if that pot were dirty it could cause this problem. Also, this motor does have a start / run cap, C58.

My local seller told me it would be o.k. to replace the C58 (2 00 V AC 4 µF ) with this one; 2 75 V AC 4,7 µF.
Is this true, or will it damage things?

I had this problem with a Denon table. I got it fixed, but I need to remember what it took to get it done. Your symptoms sound very familiar. I want to say the ultimate solution to my problem lay in a mechanism attached to the tonearm that had gotten stiff. Look at the left center of the attached picture. ..There is a transformer there and a green wire attached. Free that mechanism up with a little cleaning/work and see if it fixes your problem. There is a switch in there and a mechanism that needs to be freed up.

denon DP-30.jpg

I had this problem with a Denon table. I got it fixed, but I need to remember what it took to get it done. Your symptoms sound very familiar. I want to say the ultimate solution to my problem lay in a mechanism attached to the tonearm that had gotten stiff. Look at the left center of the attached picture. ..There is a transformer there and a green wire attached. Free that mechanism up with a little cleaning/work and see if it fixes your problem. There is a switch in there and a mechanism that needs to be freed up.

index.php
Hi Speedbump71, Were you referring to Fishead's issue or the one I wrote about?

The original poster I guess. I want to say my table was a DP-35. It is worth a look, as I am almost positive the motor start issue was related to that little mechanism. It sticks, and these Denon tables don't like to start until they are over the top of the record.

It should work just fine.
Thanks, Warren!
I will try to replace it today if I have the time. I'm curious if it will do the trick!
If not, than I will start to replace some components like the TR10 (in time, I have to order it) and IC6 perhaps, that may be causing the problem

Replaced both IC6 and the C58, and with a bit of result. It works now, but the strobe does not.
Platter starts turning now, in both speeds :)
Thanks everyone for the input and help !!
Anyone any thoughts on the strobe?

The strobe probably uses a neon lamp, which may be bad. You can buy a replacement at Digikey.

The strobe was functional before replacement of the C58 and IC6
Next to the C58, there's the R72, could this be the resistor for the neon strobe? The wires to the strobe are right next to the R72 and the C58 (the wires are connected to 21 and 22)
By the way, I have the European model.

I am having a very similar issue. My DP-30L has worked great for the 6 months or so that I've owned it. Last week, I was playing a record and I noticed it suddenly slowed way down, then eventually stopped completely. It would sometimes start back up, then do it again. Other times on e it stopped, it would not start back up. I've sprayed and cleaned the pots/switches. I took the motor apart and lubed the spindle bearing. So far, hasn't helped.

Is the next logical step to replace the C58 capacitor? I have no idea how to test it.

The strobe was functional before replacement of the C58 and IC6
Next to the C58, there's the R72, could this be the resistor for the neon strobe? The wires to the strobe are right next to the R72 and the C58 (the wires are connected to 21 and 22)
By the way, I have the European model.

I'm curious, where did you find a replacement cap for C58? I'm having trouble finding one .

Hi! Sorry for the delay in responding.
Where do you live? Do you have an American model or an European one?

If you have a local electronic parts supplier, take yours out of the unit and bring it along so they can help you determine which one you will need.
Dou you yourself know where to locate it on your printed circuit board?

I ended up finding it from Allied Electronics. I replaced it, but unfortunately, the problem was not resolved.

I have the American model.

I ordered a full set of all of the aluminum electrolytic capacitors on the board. I'm going to replace them all this weekend. I'm told that is a likely culprit for the issues I'm experiencing. I've tried everything else. The whole set was only a few dollars total, so even if it doesn't work, I'm not out much.

Just finished installing all the new capacitors. The issue is still there.

I'm not sure what else to do .outside of replacing the motor, I think I've done all I can .

Trying to help out a friend with the Denon DP-30L TT. It starts fine, runs for 5-10 minutes, then just stops! Wait a while, maybe 5-10 minutes, turn it back on and it starts again but then the same symptom.....dies.

While dead, I manipulated the speed control wheel a few turns back and forth and it started up again. Doing so after it stopped did not consistently "revive" it, so thinking I may have happened upon part of the issue but not the entire thing. I can get it to start that way, but not consistently.

I've opened it up and cleaned the speed control dial pot with Deoxit D5 (twice now), pulled the power plug on the circuit board that comes from the motor and cleaned the plug and the 3 pins that it attaches to (which were fairly corroded) and they are now looking very clean again. I'm thinking it is in the motor, but would sure like to hear from some of the Denon folks here who may have experienced this symptom themselves and hope for some advice.

Next step would be to disassemble the motor and see what might be cleaned in there, but am holding off until I hear back from you.

Thanks very kindly.
most common for this condition in my limited experience has been a bad diode
very very very unlikely it is the motor
from your description diode is first place to look actually just change they are only pennies

Back
Top Bottom