Help with placement and room treatment: Boston Acoustics A400

Those speakers just really need a lot of power, like 300WPC. I had them hooked to a McIntosh MC2155 and it it didn't really have enough power for them. Subbed in A200's and the setup sounds much better. So don't eliminate the idea of changing speakers to better fit your other equipment and space.

as far as placement options, if you are willing to rearrange your furniture I think you could achieve more in terms of just basic placement in the room. Pics can sometimes deceive in terms of perception of available space so what I suggest may not work. The way you have your speakers set up, you are probably getting less in terms of imaging capability and likely creating some weird room interactions with them tightish into the corner.

This may be unclear, but you might consider putting your bed where youre desk is (instead of having the full lengh of the bed alongside the window wall, have it along the wall opposite the current speaker speaker wall.) Move your desk to the middle of the current speaker wall, have your BA speakers flank the desk, and load your equipment into the desk. Make sure the speakers are >=6 feetish apart. The dressure / rest of the furniture can be put where you like. This will give you plenty of space around the BA's, maintain your near field, and let you play more with positioning etc. you have the added advantage of being able to slide your desk chair back a couple of feet and just hang out and listen to your BA's.

I feel your pain as far as optimizing speaker stuff, I have mine in the living room but live with roommates. if I could have arranged the room on my opinion alone it would have looked different, and more likely leaned towards favoring sound / movie watching over the layout we have now :rflmao:

Last edited:
I have a pair of boston acoustics A400’s on my back wall but i would like some tips on how to make them sound better/where to place them. Also would like help on room treatment.

Here are some pictures
I'd put the Bed between the two Speakers and have the speakers 8 inches from the side walls and 4 inches from the rear wall...
The Bed can go Sideways against the same back wall between the two Speaker's or jet out into the middle of the room.

I gave them a lot more room, sounds a lot better. Ill try moving everything around as everyone says, keep up the suggstions.

Attachments

• 8D5CB912-704B-49F4-9583-0987A35F6C11.jpeg
    8D5CB912-704B-49F4-9583-0987A35F6C11.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 32
  • E44155D1-FECE-4070-8440-1CDAF600FC1D.jpeg
    E44155D1-FECE-4070-8440-1CDAF600FC1D.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DFD103D1-69D9-4131-929E-E860399F6A23.jpeg
    DFD103D1-69D9-4131-929E-E860399F6A23.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 5AAD7E82-CE44-41F5-B973-D1EA26CAE468.jpeg
    5AAD7E82-CE44-41F5-B973-D1EA26CAE468.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
I have taken into consideration everyones input and have decided to make both big and small adjustments. I also got some NOS tan grilles for my A400’s.

I spread my speakers out away from the dresser and also increased the distance the A400’s are away from eachother to increase stereo seperation. The sound is a lot more open and I have a much better phantom center now.

Im going to replace my Sony STR DA 3700ES with an Adcom GFA 555(ii probably), and also buy a nice preamp(suggestions please, would like it to have a sub-out).

Later this winter I am going to get my A400’s recapped by an audio repair center near me (Orban Audio). They quoted me at $220 per crossover, I have no idea how reasonable this is but if anyone else wants to recap these crossovers ill happily pay.

PICTURE!
Get in contact with AK member Baco99. The price you mentioned seems high unless the people will remove the crossovers for you. IMHO

@Coopergang
Like 62caddy said, put the dresser anywhere but between the speakers, to greatly improve the imaging, and start with the speakers 6 feet apart, and shift them apart a couple inches at a time until Nirvana is achieved. Well ... you know ... relalive Nirvana.

Dave

I am trying to figure out a good room design. Where do you like to be when listening to music? Critical listening position. Bed or desk?

Have you tried the speakers in front of the closet?

I am trying to figure out a good room design. Where do you like to be when listening to music? Critical listening position. Bed or desk?

Have you tried the speakers in front of the closet?
I like to be directly in front of the speakers like 10 feet back on a rocking chair. Im figuring that ill get rid of of my dresser and just have the speakers by themselves on each side of a proper rack. Ill take pictures of my room so everyone has a better view of where everything is.

EDIT: i have not tried them in front of the closet, im trying it make this so i dont have to move the speakers around as theyre huge.

Try to keep any rack you put between the speakers as small as possible. And you should get the best imaging/soundstage if you sit at a point that is slightly further back than the speakers are apart. Ex: If your speakers are 6 feet apart, sit 7 feet back from them. And then then try shifting your chair forward or back a bit. Its quite amazing what a difference little crap like that does. And on the wall behind you, hang a towel, or something soft like that.
Try to put something soft like that on the side walls, at the first reflection point. To find the FRP, sit in your chair while a friend slides a mirror along the side wall; and when you can see the speaker, that's the FRP. Then slide the mirror further till you can see the opposite speaker and put something soft there. that's the second reflection point.
Honestly, I've used towels or cushions or something with a curved surface. It's all just simple, cheap room corrections, and it really improves the soundstage and indivdual instrument imaging.
Good luck.

Dave

I can confirm, having owned a pair years ago. that those things are not easy to move at all. Tall, skinny front to back but really wide side to side, and surprisingly heavy. Plus the stand design makes it even more awkward. Very good for what they are, though.

Back
Top Bottom