Help With Resiting My System

punprankster

I don't know if this properly belongs to Listening Space so if it does, please move it there. I figured there's more traffic here and I may be able to get my answer sooner.

I want to reposition my system across the end other end of my living room. Unfortunately, the layout of the room is not ideal: I've got two large windows on the long side and open space on the other and my daughter's piano is taking up space on the side of my current set up so it precludes me from pulling out the speakers and having a second pair side by side (which is actually my real intent for the move). I have attached a panoramic pic of the room as well as the tentative placement of the speakers, which is approximately 32" from the back wall. As you see the left speaker will be on the open side of the room with a lot of space on the side.

20180603_180410-01.jpeg 20180603_180316.jpg 20180603_180811.jpg

I want to ask for your opinions before I start moving stuff around. Should I stick to the old place where it is quite enclosed or try my luck with the new spot? What are the things that I would need to take into consideration when doing this move? My main concern is how the new position will affect the sound. Will the open space to the speaker on the left affect the sound negatively?

Last edited:
The panoramic pic makes it difficult to see the layout of the room, to me. Will the rest of the furnuture/piano be moved also?

Firstly, having the speakers behind the sofa isn't the best location, or as you stated "is not ideal". Positioning them on the opposite wall would be an improvement in the listening experience IMO.

The panoramic pic makes it difficult to see the layout of the room, to me. Will the rest of the furnuture/piano be moved also?

Firstly, having the speakers behind the sofa isn't the best location, or as you stated "is not ideal". Positioning them on the opposite wall would be an improvement in the listening experience IMO.

I'll leave the piano where it is and reposition the sofa and the other furniture to face the speakers and the system. I just want to ask whether it is a bad idea before I seriously start moving stuff.

I'll leave the piano where it is and reposition the sofa and the other furniture to face the speakers and the system. I just want to ask whether it is a bad idea before I seriously start moving stuff.
It will be a massive improvement if the speakers are facing the sofa and not behind it. Start "seriously" moving stuff to create this environment and then start the process of fine tuning the sound afterwards...

I like the original end of the room. As long as the sofa is able to face it. Can the piano be moved to the opposite end of the room?

I will be moving the sofa to where the current system is now and face the speakers in its new location. Basically they will reverse positions but I will be able to pull the speakers more into the room. I haven't moved the sofa yet as I want to ask for advice about the speakers' new place before committing to the move but it will end up facing the system. My concern is how the placement will affect the sound since there will be empty space on the left side of the system.
Unfortunately, my option is limited with regards to the piano. That is the only place where it can go.

My concern is how the placement will affect the sound since there will be empty space on the left side of the system.
There are many things which can affect the sound delivery, things which A) one cannot be sure of without being there, and B) not having your ears. I recommend that once the speakers have been moved to your chosen location, take time to listen to them with your ears and see if they met up to your standards.

Take a photo showing the room and current set-up from the "potential" speaker location so we can see the full length of the room.
But yes, I would worry about that large opening to the right into the other areas of the house with the new location. You never know though.

So this is how it looks like right now. As you can see, the hallway is at the left and with the not so great bass capabilities of the M7 I'm a little worried about the placement. I really can't do anything abou the piano, unless I place it against the window.

As it is, I am about 10 ft away from the speakers and they're about 9 ft from each other. I haven't tested the 690s to see if it's feasible to keep them in place.LRM_EXPORT_20180604_112727.jpg

It's ok so far. Feels like I lost some bass but I still have to do some critical listening to see the difference. Playing around with the equalizer settings to see if it can be remedied.

Back
Top Bottom