Stereos been berry, berry good to me!
20180320_105356.jpg
The owner manual is incorrect.
I do not have the original remote.

Without the remote, How do I
1 play random?
2 label discs using a keyboard?
Thanks

Not sure about the labeling, but the remote doesn't have a means to "play random", I believe you need to pull up the menu on the tv.

I found it easier to use the remote for another single player that "does" have the random feature. The RMT-D150A will work, it has a shuffle function.

15216579722831450730903.jpg

Last edited:
These are the remotes side by side, the one on the right is the remote that comes with the unit, notice it doesn't have the LCD display at the top. This is where many of the cool functions are for these remotes, most likely the other needs your tv as the display, at least that's my thinking. I had the other remote on hand so just tried it instead and it worked great.
152165876249360614007.jpg

The RMT-D150A didn't seem to work at first, but it has a "command mode" selector, so I tried that and it worked set on DVD3.

Labeling discs is covered on pg. 55 of the user guide: https://docs.sony.com/release/DVPCX777ES.pdf

Using the keyboard for same starts on pg. 56. It's a pain in the ass either way, IMO - and a shame that Escient server that used to support internet retrieval for title/cover art etc. via their Fireball product and the serial port on these players is no longer in service.

Shuffle play functions start on pg. 44. I have never used that, so can't comment on whether the manual is correct or not. Would be surprised if it was not however, Sony ES was pretty good about that. It's a worthless feature for DVD obviously, and the disc swap takes so long that shuffling other than on the same disc would also be pretty funky with long gaps in between music.

BTW, if you haven't already, should read this which more or less captures a very real issue with the DVP-CX777ES: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00020634U

Mine just finished chewing up half a dozen discs before I caught it; only way to be 100% sure that can't happen is to load every other slot so that a wobbling/off-center mounted spinning disc can't touch the playing surface of the next disc in the carrousel. I retired mine and put a new Sony ES single-disc machine in its place.

John

Tried what, and what didn't work? I've done programming both ways and it worked for me... are you talking about shuffle?

John

Labeling discs is covered on pg. 55 of the user guide: https://docs.sony.com/release/DVPCX777ES.pdf

Using the keyboard for same starts on pg. 56. It's a pain in the ass either way, IMO - and a shame that Escient server that used to support internet retrieval for title/cover art etc. via their Fireball product and the serial port on these players is no longer in service.

Shuffle play functions start on pg. 44. I have never used that, so can't comment on whether the manual is correct or not. Would be surprised if it was not however, Sony ES was pretty good about that. It's a worthless feature for DVD obviously, and the disc swap takes so long that shuffling other than on the same disc would also be pretty funky with long gaps in between music.

BTW, if you haven't already, should read this which more or less captures a very real issue with the DVP-CX777ES: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00020634U

Mine just finished chewing up half a dozen discs before I caught it; only way to be 100% sure that can't happen is to load every other slot so that a wobbling/off-center mounted spinning disc can't touch the playing surface of the next disc in the carrousel. I retired mine and put a new Sony ES single-disc machine in its place.

John
Mine are stacked side by side, shuffle for hrs on end without issue, don't really mind the ten second delay between songs. Shuffle with the remote I pictured is easy, point and shoot.

Yeah... I had 400 discs (or close to that) loaded most of the time as well, not any more. I am happy to post pics if you want to see what happens when it doesn't get a disc fully loaded to the play position and there's a neighboring disc. There are plenty of hits about that issue on the internet, apparently a known issue as far back as 10 years ago. Mine just decided to start doing it fairly recently after a few years with no issue.

CD's are definitely quicker to swap (in that they spin up and start playing a lot faster), but that's a lot of additional wear and tear just for random music... but to each his own.

I liked this player too (and the DVP-CX985V which I also own) but between the piss-poor content management features (more than half of what I put in it the titles aren't read automatically, the ability to load disc info from internet connectivity is handicapped these days, and titles you take the time to program by remote or keyboard get dumped later by the machine more often than not) and the disc carving, I am pretty much done. Bought a Sony ES UBP-X1000ES and am loving that.

John

Yeah... I had 400 discs (or close to that) loaded most of the time as well, not any more. I am happy to post pics if you want to see what happens when it doesn't get a disc fully loaded to the play position and there's a neighboring disc. There are plenty of hits about that issue on the internet, apparently a known issue as far back as 10 years ago. Mine just decided to start doing it fairly recently after a few years with no issue.

CD's are definitely quicker to swap (in that they spin up and start playing a lot faster), but that's a lot of additional wear and tear just for random music... but to each his own.

I liked this player too (and the DVP-CX985V which I also own) but between the piss-poor content management features (more than half of what I put in it the titles aren't read automatically, the ability to load disc info from internet connectivity is handicapped these days, and titles you take the time to program by remote or keyboard get dumped later by the machine more often than not) and the disc carving, I am pretty much done. Bought a Sony ES UBP-X1000ES and am loving that.

John
Paid $63 bucks, not real worried about wear and tear, only purchased it for the random play feature. Installed new belts when I got it, most likely the reason most had issues, the belts were never changed and started slipping.

I'm in mine for $100, but it ate more than that in replacement disc costs. No belt issues (I do my own tech, and have inspected it in action etc.). Just a random problem with some discs that get spun w/o being fully seated, so they wobble/gouge the next one over.

I'd have probably been more upset if it ate my good music discs... mostly tore up some of the wife's shows, lol. I did lose a perfectly good copy of Animal House though.

RD, any luck getting those features to work?

John

[QUOTE="jdurbin1, post: 11508111, member: 22083"

RD, any luck getting those features to work?

John[/QUOTE]

No luck on either- I have 2 of these POS.
The author of the manual is not literate. The sectio "labeling a disc using a keyboard" states use the edit mode and the remote for steps 1 and 2. Well I do not have the remote, cant so steps 1 and 2 and I cant use the keyboard.

Got it. I have the remote so that wasn't an issue.

I would 100% not worry about it though. Most of what you could get programmed for titles using either method, the "POS" will dump later of its own volition... that's been my experience anyway, not just with this machine but also the earlier DVP-CX985V. The keyboard functionality was pretty flaky, too.

The similar Custom File feature on my XES-C1 car cd changers works flawlessly, by comparison. No idea why they couldn't make this stuff work better on these, but it was always going to be tedious and repetitive if you move discs in and out of the carrousel. The Escient Fireball solution worked a lot better, both because it did the labeling for you but also provided a vastly better on-screen content manager. Unfortunately, as mentioned the back end service was pulled down and that was the end of that.

If you can program, the RS232 port can be used and there may be other similar solutions out there to the Escient stuff but I haven't run into anything that seemed worth pursuing.

John

I've developed DiscChanger.NET, a free ASP.NET Core 3.1 solution to manage the discs in DVP-CX777ES and BDP-CX7000ES changers. I use my DVP-CX777ES disc changers almost exclusively for audio, since they still hold their own in 2020, with SACD and regular CD support. The program can run on Windows (IIS) or Linux and I've tested it on Windows 10 and on a Raspberry Pi 4. A Raspberry Pi 4 has up to 5 serial ports and can control 5 changers out of the box. Probably more if you add USB serial ports but I have not tested how much of a load it can handle.

DiscChanger.NET uses MusicBrainz to lookup the disc data given the table of contents from the changer serial RS232 interface and organizes the discs in a grid, making it convenient to use any of your tablets or computers to select discs or tracks to play.

DiscChanger.NET also shows BD and DVD, but is not yet capable of performing metadata lookups for these disc types. It is an open source project and any contributions are welcomed.

For more information, see http://readme.discchanger.net.

Nice! Any chance you can provide a brief overview of how to implement this solution, keeping in mind that not all of us are coding or Raspberry Pi literate?

John

Back
Top Bottom