Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

I loved Rollins show on the radio here in L.A. Not heard it for a while, but he always struck me as a music enthusiast. Not really listened to much of his music. .

But he's a musician first. Why wouldnt he have a kick ass stereo?

He's an interesting guy with a lot to say and he played a lot of good music.

Is it punk to be succesful? Maybe, maybe not. But he's not punk anymore. He's a successful guy that promoted good stuff on his show and had entertaining back stories. .

Same radio channel that had Johnny rotten as a DJ. It went to the web a few years back. Johnny Rotten had some awesome stories he shared to. Good music also.

Damn i wish that station hadn't gone off the air.

I kind'a miss Pandovski.

Also, yes.

I miss him too, not questioning mod policy as it seems you've got to do something pretty bad to get the ban hammer here.. it isn't doled out here for nothing, whatever he did he probably deserved. But i do miss his posts and for the longest time i thought his jack Nicholson avatar was in fact him. .

Anyway, what I'm most shocked at is how Hank has that much cash to throw at a system. He's had some bit parts in movies and TV but you need some serious bank to drop $250k in a stereo. Maybe got stuff cheap(er) through friends?
I'd like to see his set up.

See it?? I'd love to HEAR IT!

Rollins has been a sellout tourist of an ideal his entire career, he talks the talk but that's it. Never been a fan.

This annoys the hell out of me, explain what he should "walk" like? To be punk IMO was smart people playing dumb and smart people evolve, losers do not.

I loved Rollins show on the radio here in L.A. Not heard it for a while, but he always struck me as a music enthusiast. Not really listened to much of his music. .
But he's a musician first. Why wouldnt he have a kick ass stereo?
He's an interesting guy with a lot to say and he played a lot of good music.

Years ago (20, at least) I read an interview where he quoted that he "does not own an TV". In his apartment there is only "computer, good stereo and nice pair of weights".
That was maybe even before his acting career, so in time he could have some pennies saved for something little better :D

Many of us started listening to the music in a bleached T-shirt and waving an Iroc (I had, certainly), and he was the one who wore it for living.....whats wrong with that?

Last edited:
rollins has a rather advanced hifi system with wilson audio speakers and i think VTL electronics. he writes for LA Weekly and has a program on history channel--10 things you didn't know about..... (fill in the blank).

Reading through this thread...wow...some interesting and varied points of view. My question is...how many of us are the same person that we were in our twenties? I remember being young and altruistic, but life is hard and you realize that it's not a bad thing to enjoy the ride when you can. No, Henry is not the frontman for Black Flag that I saw so many years ago, but I am no longer that dumbass kid in the mosh pit either.

HR is a musician who apparently can really hear and wants to hear close to the real thing. if you got a chance to listen to that equipment you would realize that it will deliver just that. we all go as far as we can with audio and thankfully i don't have and interfering spouse.

henry amassed his cash pile by not making business mistakes and may now embrace whatever he desires. he still performs but not with black flag nor the HR Band, but usually solo while on tour all over the world. no need to get gruff about the way he has conducted his life, which he is quite transparent about.

his money- who cares if he "sold out". Rollins is an entertainer in the entertainment business. he's grown in a lot of ways since the punk thing-if he wants to trade on the punk thing once and a while let him. but why resent the guy?

Well, he's certainly a music lover and has an amazing collection, if you believe his writing.

He's also an intellectual and we know how they love their gear.

I wonder what cartridge he uses on his TT.

I can't honestly say that I have ever met "anyone" who was not a "hypocrite" and that includes yours truly. Let me spend a little time with you, or better yet, let me ask your teenager a few questions. And guess what? Yeah, no SAINTS here. So the best we can do is try to come to terms with that and struggle with the weaknesses we ALL have. And "you" know who you are. There would be NO great literature in this world if any of us were "perfect".

So I'd say get over yourselves and put on some tunes boys and girls!

cnh2

Sorry, but my response has little to do with the original thread. That being said...
It's not so easy to look oneself in the mirror and come to terms with ones flaws, but self reflection gets easier with practice; not to mention a refreshing and, I think, healthy way to live. It's a powerful feeling accepting your flaws, not beating yourself up, and moving forward to improve.
I for one, know I'm not the same person I was 30 years ago...

Ok, self help session over!:bigok:

Back
Top Bottom