Here's why a Bugatti Veyron oil change costs $21,000

In effect you'd eventually be running the engine dry and you can bet any warranty claims arising from non-approved service methods won't fly.

Turning an engine over using the starter motor hardly is considered normal operation of an engine which does not generate friction between moving parts. Then the lubricant between parts is still present on a cold engine enough to turn the engine over several times.

I’m sorry but it’s a technical nature of understanding based upon experiences.....

What a shop charges per hour and how much they pay their technicians is about twenty-five percent of the shop rate.

Turning an engine over using the starter motor hardly is considered normal operation of an engine which does not generate friction between moving parts. Then the lubricant between parts is still present on a cold engine enough to turn the engine over several times.

I’m sorry but it’s a technical nature of understanding based upon experiences.....

Excuse me but are you an authority on the specific engine in question?

Excuse me but are you an authority on the specific engine in question?

Dude....

If your not a mechanic then you are a consumer. I don’t share your lack of understanding due to a lifetime of hands on experiences and diligent study of automotive design. Every mechanic knows that a cold engine has to maintain a certain amount of lubricant between moving parts for when the engine starts up again. The oil pump does not create the proper oil pressure again until the engine is running. So how do you think lubricant is maintained until start up ??? So, an engine can spin using the starter motor without any damage to the engine....oil in the crankcase or not. Then the type of synthetic oil in an exotic engine isn’t what the average person even knows about.....considering that the engine is built for high friction and heat transfer. You really think a starter motor cranking over the engine without any spark plugs in it would cause the engine any problems ???

Reactions: S S
"Oil in the crankcase???!!!--We don't need no stinkin' oil in the crankcase!!!" Don't you all remember the old Mobil1 commercials where they drained the engine oil from two identical engines and ran them on stands without oil at high rpms--one with conventional oil and one with Mobil1 to demonstrate the "superiority" of Mobil1 synthetic?

Dude...I've been self employed in the car business for 35 ****in years and completely understand everything you are talking about.

I've also learned in all that time never to take anything for granted and a brand new Bugatti is just about the last car I would EVER take anything for granted about. Unless you are an expert on the car in question, you're in no position to assert whether oil change method you propose could have severe consequences or not, let alone whether it would affect warranty performance, or even whether it is feasible in the first place. Past experience is great but it doesn't automatically make you an expert on all things gas powered.

Can't begin to recount the sad stories ending with, "I did the same thing before and it worked then..."

Talk is cheap until it's your $1.5M sitting in the driveway.

Last edited:
"Oil in the crankcase???!!!--We don't need no stinkin' oil in the crankcase!!!" Don't you all remember the old Mobil1 commercials where they drained the engine oil from two identical engines and ran them on stands without oil at high rpms--one with conventional oil and one with Mobil1 to demonstrate the "superiority" of Mobil1 synthetic?

I remember a Slick 50 commercial like that.

Dude...I've been self employed in the car business for 35 ****in years and completely understand everything you are talking about.

I've also learned in all that time never to take anything for granted and a brand new Bugatti is just about the last car I would EVER take anything for granted about. Unless you are an expert on the car in question, you're in no position to assert whether oil change method you propose could have severe consequences or not, let alone whether it would affect warranty performance, or even whether it is feasible in the first place. Past experience is great but it doesn't automatically make you an expert on all things gas powered.

Can't begin to recount the sad stories ending with, "I did the same thing before and it worked then..."

Talk is cheap until it's your $1.5M sitting in the driveway.

Oh really......

Sorry but I’m not a mind reader, I don’t know your background. Your intent on holding up certain standards as always evident to only those specifically trained to perform certain tasks. When skill is based upon the total experiences of the individual beyond the industry standard. Messing up anything comes from a lack of understanding and a lack of paying attention to details while going into a situation blind. Then again you weren’t with me in Germany working on exotic cars that fellow BMW Club members owned....

Oh really......

Sorry but I’m not a mind reader, I don’t know your background. Your intent on holding up certain standards as always evident to only those specifically trained to perform certain tasks. When skill is based upon the total experiences of the individual beyond the industry standard. Messing up anything comes from a lack of understanding and a lack of paying attention to details while going into a situation blind. Then again you weren’t with me in Germany working on exotic cars that fellow BMW Club members owned....

:rolleyes: Kindly spare me. Well aware of how alternative service/repair methods can be perfectly viable, effective & appropriate even though not necessarily factory-approved.

However I also know better than to assert what would work in this particular situation and so should you. So far all I have heard are generalizations as opposed to direct knowledge.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Kindly spare me. Well aware of how alternative service/repair methods can be perfectly viable & appropriate.

I know better than to profess what would work in this situation and so should you.

Well, that is what separates you and I...

An actual skilled mechanic that has been elbow deep in grease and sweat for decades can figure out any mechanism as long as the proper study of technological applications has been done one car right after the other until the skill of the mechanic exceeds industry standards. Like taking a short block from a BMW 325ES, A cylinder head from a BMW 325IS and an exhaust turbo manifold from a BMW 524TDI....which is the makings of a BMW turbo engine. You’ll never find any info on this anywhere because it’s something I stumbled upon while flipping junks in Germany and selling them to GI’s. Just like putting 440 heads and intake on a Chrysler 413 or putting a 194 head on a 235 cubic inch straight six and dualing out the intake and exhaust.

As an experienced mechanic I think it’s hogwash to think that only someone that sat in a classroom is able to work on a particular technical application....and you think differently about the situation so let’s just leave it like that.

Back
Top Bottom