Hey all! From Sun Valley, Idaho.

sunvalleylaw

Addicted Member
Or at least 12 miles south of it, in Hailey.

I am Steve, originally from the Seattle area (Tacoma to be precise). I have been a member for a while, but more or less a lurker until just recently. My early threads were about finding out about getting my speakers fixed up. As I did not have budget or time at the time, it got set aside until kids were older. Now, I just have one left in the home, and a little time to put into stuff important to me. Music has always been that.

I heard my first good stereos back in the mid to late 70's, and convinced my Dad, also a music fan, to get the family a decent system with an Onkyo receiver and Speakerlabs, (EDIT: It might be that the receiver was Harmon Kardon, and the tape deck was Onkyo, can't remember now) and I think an HK tape deck. Forget what the turntable was.

In college, I was stupidly allowed (by Magnolia) to open an account, and bought my first stereo. The one I have today. It consisted of a Denon DRA-550, Dahlquist DQM-5's (two ways), a Nakamichi tape deck, a Yamaha CD player, and a Technics turntable. I love imaging, and those Dahlquists, though they were just two way and not fancier three ways, blew me away with their ability there, and I loved the nice, tight bass response. Good punch, but no flab or fart. They still blow me away.

Of those, the Denon still rocks, after getting cleaned up a bit recently, and a capacitor repaired, the Dahlquists were recently re-foamed and are back in action (no new caps or anything, currently sound really good to me, will consider upgrading caps and crossovers later), and the Technics SL-B350 turntable, which I guess I need to clean up with some de-oxit and such as I replaced the belt, but it still is variable on the speed. I think the pitch control pots need help. It does have a newer cartridge.

Anyhow, I love having a real stereo system back up an running. My wife got me a SONOS system and some speakers a few years ago when my speakers were not up and running, and also to serve other areas in the house. And it is ok for background music listening such as she does, and I might do when entertaining, or doing yardwork, chores, etc. But not the same as a good two channel system.

I also am looking into some decent smaller speakers for my office, to be driven by an Onkyo TX-822 I got very inexpensively from the estate of the local record shop proprietor, who passed not too long ago. And also, now I am interested in finding out more about the NAD 7000 amp we have in the living room (used to be my wife's Mom's) and use to drive speakers out on the deck. I think it might need some help, as it did not like to drive my Dahlquists as well as my Denon does, back when we were renting my mother-in-law's house when we were first married. I bet it will be a nice little unit to drive some Polks or Infinities or something in that room at some point, if I can get away with having stereo speakers out there. ;-) I have a couple threads going on my search for good bookshelf speakers, and will start one on the NAD, or just research what is here.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me join the crowd!

Steve

90F55D09-D09A-49EE-BDC5-FEE3FF0F5B97.jpeg

66BC690C-7B27-4BFE-8FFF-766184D26CE4.jpeg

2442F204-83AC-4B32-97D7-1570A11BC1B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Stick around..
This is a good Hobby for Everyone!
The people here are the best. ..
Just be yourself and share your experience and knowledge and thoughts .
There's much diversity and good in most any and all manufacturers from every Era.

And even though we that frequent here may have differing views on ideological , political , Religious etc. .. That don't stop us from being Friends Here at Audiokarma.. ..
And Audiokarma owners have a Political Forum completely separate from here for those kinds of discussions...
I learned that early on LOL...
But I really like all the people here because we Share the same Love of this Audio Hi-Fi Hobby !

So stick around and like you I didn't post much until the last year-and-a-half but I registered back in 2008 and was a lurker...

Welcome from Europe! :)
Hey, H/K! I think, but am not certain, that the first decent receiver my family had was a cool Harmon Kardon with a nice, light silver face. This would have been about 79 or 80. I get mixed up in my head. Either the receiver was H/K and the tape deck an Onkyo, or the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom