Hey Sony Fans...Question

mid70s

Can you provide some thoughts and opinions between the older Sonys, like the STR-7055 against the 'newer' units, like the STR-GX7ES???

Just wondering and thinking of picking up an end of the stereo production line GX.ES type unit.

STR-GX10ES is the TOTL. Thanks to AK, it is not so much under the radar. STR-GX9ES is virtually identical with a few less watts and a few less buttons. The 9 is a bargain compared to the 10, which everyone wants. Also look at STR-V5.6. and 7. They are true monster receivers and very nice to own. STR-7800SD is a monster but not as nice looking as the V7. I like the older 7065 and 7065a as well.

And you can take it farther back to their first receivers from the late 60s and find some real gems that can sound surprisingly dynamic, even unrestored. You just cannot go wrong with the 6060F.

I have a GX90ES which was the successor to the GX10ES series and I've seen described as the last of the "good" 2 channel stereo Sony's. I also have the STR6060FW and STR6120 (late '60's, early '70's).

The GX90ES is un-restored and the 6060 and 6120 are both fully restored. I prefer the sound of the earlier units. They are more detailed then the GX90ES. Since the GX90ES has not been restored, this may not be a fair comparison but it is one data point.

IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1833.JPG

Last edited:
STR-GX10ES is the TOTL. Thanks to AK, it is not so much under the radar. STR-GX9ES is virtually identical with a few less watts and a few less buttons. The 9 is a bargain compared to the 10, which everyone wants. Also look at STR-V5.6. and 7. They are true monster receivers and very nice to own. STR-7800SD is a monster but not as nice looking as the V7. I like the older 7065 and 7065a as well.

STR 6100 is king, the best Sony SS ever, and it's separates siblings. ES nowhere near it in sonics or build quality.

I have a TA 3200F I restored. Very nice amplifier loaded with features. I would love to have the TA 2000F preamp, but they go for lots of $$.

I have a TA 3200F I restored. Very nice amplifier loaded with features. I would love to have the TA 2000F preamp, but they go for lots of $$.

Had one as well. Super well made but you would never be able to tell from the poor cosmetics. If the meters were big wipers installed in the amp instead of the pre, the 3200F would be getting the $$.

STR-6800SD suits my needs... lucked upon it a decade ago (took it as trade on a crown power amp)... haven't looked for anything else since.
20170827_Sony_STR-6800SD.jpg

20170827_it_lives.jpg

Had one as well. Super well made but you would never be able to tell from the poor cosmetics. If the meters were big wipers installed in the amp instead of the pre, the 3200F would be getting the $$.
Very true. But with speaker switching and gain controls you could get away without a preamp. Two sets of pre in jacks too.

Love my TA4650 with Vfet's. I have had it in continuous service since 1979, Knock on wood....

And yes, the death diodes have been replaced, and the bias adjusted...

I have a GX90ES which was the successor to the GX10ES series and I've seen described as the last of the "good" 2 channel stereo Sony's. I also have the STR6060FW and STR6120 (late '60's, early '70's).

The GX90ES is un-restored and the 6060 and 6120 are both fully restored. I prefer the sound of the earlier units. They are more detailed then the GX90ES. Since the GX90ES has not been restored, this may not be a fair comparison but it is one data point.

Thank you. This is sort of what I was looking for.

STR-6800SD suits my needs... lucked upon it a decade ago (took it as trade on a crown power amp)... haven't looked for anything else since.
20170827_Sony_STR-6800SD.jpg

20170827_it_lives.jpg
That's a great receiver that often flies under the radar. One of the best deals in vintage audio. That 80wpc power rating is very conservative: mine did well over 100wpc on my tech's bench. Great sounding, really good tuner, tons of features and inputs. Puts a lot of more expensive receivers in the same category to shame.

That's a great receiver that often flies under the radar. One of the best deals in vintage audio. That 80wpc power rating is very conservative: mine did well over 100wpc on my tech's bench. Great sounding, really good tuner, tons of features and inputs. Puts a lot of more expensive receivers in the same category to shame.

Agreed! Lets hope they stay under the radar until I track down and hide away a back up :)

Agreed! Lets hope they stay under the radar until I track down and hide away a back up :)
Good to have a backup in case of Darlington power pack failure. The only downside to owning a 6800 IMO. However sometimes you can find working power packs on eBay for reasonable money. I sold my 6800 on Barter Town this summer, as I've moved to integrated amps/tuner combos. Best sounding receiver I've owned and I've had many. I still miss it sometimes.

So fair I've had a:

Sony STR 7065
Sony STR 7055
Sony STR 6065
Sony STR 6055
Sony STR 6120
Sony TA-3200F
Sony TA 2000F

I've heard only good things about the 6800, V5, and especially the 6060 and a couple of the black faceplate Sonys but haven't had the chance to try the. I find their sound pretty neutral and pleasing, not as warm as a Marantz and not as bright as a Kenwood. I've spent enough time loving my 7065 that even though it's out of rotation I probably would never sell it , and am working on having my 2000F restored. Sonys used to be aspirational pieces in some parts of the world, with the older ones more so than the later ones that came after them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the classic ones or some of the well reviewd ones if I can get away with it.

Last edited:
My STR 6800, bought in college, is still with me after one large cap repair and lube/deoxit. it is still one of the best units I have ever heard.
About 15 years ago a friend when moving gave me! his STR6800SD, i sold it thinking i already had one and the cover needed painting, dang.

So fair I've had a:

Sony STR 7065
Sony STR 7055
Sony STR 6065
Sony STR 6055
Sony STR 6120
Sony TA-3200F
Sony TA 2000F

I've heard only good things about the 6800, V5, and especially the 6060 and a couple of the black faceplate Sonys but haven't had the chance to try the. I find their sound pretty neutral and pleasing, not as warm as a Marantz and not as bright as a Kenwood. I've spent enough time loving my 7065 that even though it's out of rotation I probably would never sell it , and am working on having my 2000F restored. Sonys used to be aspirational pieces in some parts of the world, with the older ones more so than the later ones that came after them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the classic ones or some of the well reviewd ones if I can get away with it.
+1 on Sony being aspirational gear in the mid-to-late seventies, when I was a teenager getting into audio. Yamaha and Sony were the elite mass market brands then, at least to me. I have owned the Sony STR 6060, 6120, 6045, 6055 and 6800 receivers. The build quality of the 6060 and 6120 represent Sony quality at its peak. The 60X5 are pretty high up in that regard as well. However none of those great early receivers will drive inefficient speakers (like the excellent KEF and B&W speakers from the 80's) like the 6800 will. And it's not just the power, but quality of the sound (IMO). Lots of features and inputs, excellent tuner, and great design of the faceplate layout.

with it I drive a custom set of ported speakers i made to a specific design with 9" airbornes and a classic phillips tweeter. amazing good.

Back
Top Bottom