Hey...what was the very first movie you ever viewed?

Pinocchio, the 1954 reissue I assume. I also vividly remember seeing 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, The Searchers and The Ten Commandments though the latter two were a couple of years later. Also vivid memories of Invaders from Mars.

Last edited:
Ain't no way in Hell I can remember that. I just remember a bunch of movies when I was young. The line of Dracula movies from Hammer films stood out. Christofer Lee and Peter Cushing were the best. I rate all Dracula films against theirs. Plus neither one fought like Ninjas.

I don't know if it was the first movie, but it was the first that made an impression on me. Way back when, they showed you two movies for the price of one. The one you wanted to see was shown last. My family took me to see ??? which was probably appropriate for a 7 year old, but the first film was Hammer's Curse of the Mummy's Tomb. The voice over tells you it's a true story!! I couldn't sleep for a month. When the lights went out I saw mummies everywhere. :)

Ray

A couple of other flicks came to mind that stayed with me for ages...both animal based.

Caught "The Yearling" and "Old Yeller" which were tragedies within their own right, and I guess that's why they stamped my memory so hard, with all the rest being lost in what ever goes on in the growing mind.

Very few of this genre is being produced today. Sad, in a way, as the young could learn a lot about life in general and how to cope with it. Mind you the world of today is sad in many ways, eh? For instance, read the other day that a "White Rhino" is the last of his breed, and is old, so there will be no other of his kind after he dies. Videos may be the only way the young being born today will be able to experience the many species out there being hunted to extinction. Like I said...sad.:(

Q

“Superman and the Molemen” at a drive-in theater. It was released in 1951 and I saw it in 51 or 52 :)

my first experience at a movie cinema was.............

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-movie-1990.30980.jpg

Either "The Thing" (1951), or "Creature From The Black Lagoon" (1953). Pretty sure they both scared the crap outta me at the time.... :)

Either "The Thing" (1951), or "Creature From The Black Lagoon" (1953). Pretty sure they both scared the crap outta me at the time.... :)
Little fuzzy but it would have been disney.

Possibly Jungle Book.

I hear you on "The Thing". Too young to appreciate at the time, but caught it a little later. Scared the bejeebers outta me! ( Where'd that archaic expression come from?):rolleyes: That was sci/fi was before its time with suspense.

The "Creature..." didn't cut it for me...makeup was pretty crude back then, even for a kid.

Q

I hear you on "The Thing". Too young to appreciate at the time, but caught it a little later. Scared the bejeebers outta me! ( Where'd that archaic expression come from?):rolleyes: That was sci/fi was before its time with suspense.

The "Creature..." didn't cut it for me...makeup was pretty crude back then, even for a kid.

Q
Another fun sci-fi film was "The Tingler" (1959) starring Vincent Price. Movie theaters had selected seats hot-wired with a loud buzzer that was activated at the scariest part of the film. Cool special FX for back in those days.

Get this: A 1968 kiddie birthday party where a bunch of 7-year-olds had to sit still through the entirety of 2001: A Space Odyssey. We all thought the psychedelic finale was pretty cool, though.

I have vague recollections of seeing Born Free (didn't cry) and Dr. Dolittle (with Rex Harrison) before that, but this is the first movie that I can remember as an event, from start to finish.

The earliest one I remember was Mary Poppins. My favorite scene was the Step-In-Time rooftop dancing scene. It looked completely real to a six year old boy. I was enchanted.

I'll bet that a lot of the movies we first saw would be considered pretty tame by today's standards by the young'uns.

Think?

Q

Last edited:

Badassed Monster movie. Saw it in the theater..... Popcorn.. raisinets.... neccos... Under a buck...

Back
Top Bottom