Hey who remembers Korvette's Discount Store???

2874214632_15b385e61f.jpg

It was the anchor store at the Cedarbrook Mall on Cheltenham Ave. in suburban Philadelphia. That mall had all the great stores from the late '60s and '70s, like Korvettes, Spencer's Gifts, Docktor's Pets, Tip Top Ties, etc. Gotta love Spencer's; any store where you could buy whoopie cushions, roach clips and black light posters had to win my heart.

I remember a Two Guys in what I think was Hanover NJ. I grew up down the road in Livingston NJ.

I also remember the Korvettes chain. And Grants

I'm feeling old now....

Korvettes at Morris Plains, Rt 202 and Rt 10 Intersection. IIRC Boarder Hanover and it later became Two Guys, or vice versa, had a Shoprite next door later on. Used to drool over the Matchbox and the Albums.. Later on I got thrown out (by force literally) because they mismarked a keyboard and I wanted it for the price marked.. Ahhhh memories!

Even had one in St. Louis, too. I remember shopping there with my Dad...who happened to be a Jewish Korean War veteran.:D

E.J. Korvettes

What made Korvettes such a great record store was it's liberal return policy.
You could buy a LP, tape it, & return it for another, different LP. The manager usually didn't give you trouble about it. I remember that I bought a Quicksilver Messenger Service LP once that had terrible surface noise. So I exchanged it for another of the same title. That one was just as bad. So I exchanged that for another 1 of the same. I really wanted a good copy of that LP! Eventually, after 5 attempts, I took a totally different title. I miss that record department.

Store in Trenton NJ at Olden Ave.

I bought my first stereo there: a Rolecor receiver (Korvette exclusive), XAM speakers (very bad) and a Garrard turntable (genuine walnut grained vinyl), around $50 I think.

Funny thing, when I traded in my Rolecor for a Scott 342C, the dealer said the Rolecor was a very good unit. I recently found out that Rolecor was later named Rotel!

Last edited:
Back in the 70's

I lived in Bernardsville, NJ working in the Military/Industrial Complex. Whenever a new opera came out, I'd run down to Korvette's on Route 22 in Watchung and buy it. I wore most of them out and left them behind when we moved in '04. I wish I hadn't.

Harry
Maryville, Tennessee

Buncha Dynaco and some NAD

I remember it.......

right on Rt. 4 in Paramus NJ.

Oh man, it's confirmed, I am old. I remember Korvettes but I also bought my very first real Hi-Fi receiver/stereo at the Paramus mall in Jersey. Before that it was mainly a few mid fi things.

My sister and brother in law took me there. They lived just over the line in Rockland County, New Your. Stony Point was the town they lived in and they suggested we go there.

I have a pair of XAM speakers here in Silverton, Oregon about as far from any E.J. Korvette store as you can get and I bought them local. Wonder where they been.

Well, I'm happy to report that the "Korvette" name is still alive and well...

There are still a few stores bearing that name in some villages, at least in the province of Quebec.

Maybe it's not from the same chain, but they use the name and the logo is similar. And they're still a discount store. A friend of mine buys lots of discounted VHS movies there for the kids to watch at the cottage in the summer when it rains...

I also used to buy all my records at the Douglaston, NY store. It was a short bus ride from my neighborhood just over the border in Nassau County.

I remember eagerly waiting for the Sunday Times each week and scouring the big full page or two page advertising spread in the Arts and Leisure section to see what albums were on sale. Korvettes had the best pricing for LPs when they were on sale.

I've never been to one of their stores but we sold a lot of Koss headphones to EJ Korvettes in the 70's.

Used to buy albums from E J Korvettes on Goucher Boulevard in Towson, Maryland.

If they didn't have it Bill's Music House in Hillendale Shopping Center had it and if they didn't there was good old Jack Luskins the "Cheapest Guy In Town"

If you needed electronics parts caps resistors L-pads whatever, there still is Baynesville Electronics. They STILL stock tubes antenna's, and mostly anything else you need to recap or restore all things audio and video IN STOCK. At worst they can have it in 1 or 2 days if it's obscure,.. and they employ people that can actually cross reference transistors and such. And they don't sell the value line exclusively, you can get Panasonic, Auricaps, etc. there too.

All these stores were within 3 miles of my house. The only one's left are Bills Music House and Baynesville Electronics and they do a BOOMING business, still in the same location 4 or 5 generations later. Anyone here in Maryland that does DIY stuff on their equipment know's them. Everyone that works there has to be trained in electronics to get a job, so you actually get intelligent answers to questions and the right part every time. Beats the hell out of waiting on mail order or going to the shack talking to some kid who wants to sell cell phones.

Last edited:
Yup, I remember EJ Korvettes on Main Street in Hartford, CT (late 1950's early 1960's)...just around the corner from the Wooster Pool Hall on Asylum Street, second floor (on the third floor there was a candle pin bowling alley). That is where I hung out shagging things for Willie Pep (Pep had a record of 230 wins, 11 losses and 1 draw, with 65 wins by knockout. Pep was ranked 6th on Ring Magazine's list of the 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years in 2002) and occasionally getting whipped by him in straight pool...Then I'd go to listen to music at Korvettes :music:. I remember crying watching the wrecking ball take out the pool hall building in the mid-1960's. Thanks for the thread, brought back some memories which had been long "forgotten".

I remember the one in or near Valley Stream on Long Island where I grew up (more or less grew up, that is.). The little bit that I recall about them is that they had a lot of interesting stuff that other places didn't have and their prices on LP records, 45s, and Matchbox cars was better than other stores. I think I bought my first 45 there. That would have been a vinyl 45, not the other kind of 45. :D

That was the one I went to......and....I.... remain......trau....ma...tized....

LouLoomis

Korvettes

It was the anchor store at the Cedarbrook Mall on Cheltenham Ave. in suburban Philadelphia. That mall had all the great stores from the late '60s and '70s, like Korvettes, Spencer's Gifts, Docktor's Pets, Tip Top Ties, etc. Gotta love Spencer's; any store where you could buy whoopie cushions, roach clips and black light posters had to win my heart.

Yes!! Korvettes Cedarbrook Mall- my first job at 14 was at the Lafayette Radio down the road and I spent every extra dime in Korvettes record department!! There was a small record shop in the mall but Korvettes killed them on selection and price. Still have the first LP I ever bought from that store- the Ronettes on Philles Hey Chatham- where did you live??? I walked there from my home a few blocks away in Mt Airy.

I was at the one in Redford , Michigan (Telegraph and West Chicago) the day it opened. I was in Junior High probably 8th or 9th grade. As I grew older I purchased a lot of my albums there, and my first stereo receiver too. It was a Fisher 450T with a wired remote to change the radio stations.
Jim

We used to ride out bikes there on Sunday afternoons to spend our paper route profits. I think it was 6-7 miles from home in Westland.

Still remember buying an Al Kooper album there thinking I was getting a Alice Cooper record. They would exchange records with no hassles!

Hey, who remembers one of these. A XAM 500 solid state AM/FM receiver. Paid 3 bux, cleaned it up, replaced the cut power cord, and it works. Volume control a little scratchy, but AM and FM work just fine. Amazing wood surround, slide out electronics module, and strange FM tuning knobs.

Is this a keeper or a curiosity?

Back
Top Bottom