Hey who remembers Korvette's Discount Store???

I remember going to one in Woodbridge Virginia as a kid where I bought a Venus Fly Trap plant for like $1. I am sure my older brother bought some LP's there. A couple of years ago I found some XAM speakers that were ok but the cabinets were actually very good. I gutted them and use the cabinets for storing some LD's

Korvette's was a great place to get LP's when you were a DJ. $3.99 each! I probably have 300 LP's I bought there.
Who remembers S.Klines(on the square)???

Used to go there for tires.

Louie Bamberger is my great uncle on my mothers side!

Green Acres Korvettes for me. We rode our bikes there which was kinda dumb looking back. Blind Faith was $1.88. Also picked up "Tommy" and the original soundtrack from "Bonnie & Clyde" there. Used to hear "Two Guys" advertised on late night ABC AM.

Korvettes on Route 59 in Nanuet NY.
My parents got me a Daisy BB Gun there one Christmas. Probably 1968.
I've got pics of them looking overwhelmed at the counter.
I love remembering that.

Setting the record straight........
(from http://www.jewishlegends.com/)

No Jewish veterans at EJ Korvettes

Legend: Former discount retailer EJ Korvettes stood for "Eight Jewish Korean Veterans"

EJ Korvettes was a popular discount retailer in the Tri-State area. When you wanted upper end, fancy shmazy goodies, you went to Macy's, but for the cheap stuff, EJ Korvettes was the place.

Unfortunately, EJ Korvettes did not get its name from "Eight (or Eleven) Jewish Korean Veterans."

Korvettes began in 1949, two years before the Korean War, when Jewish businessman Eugene Ferdauf opened a small discount luggage store in Manhattan. For the name of the store, he took the initial of his first name, Eugene, and the first initial of a friend and chose the name "Korvette"after a Canadian sub chaser known as the corvette.

EJ Korvettes went belly up in the 70's. The reason, according to some market analysts, is they began to stray from their client base, and tried to become an upper echelon department store. In so doing, they signed their death sentence.
You sure about this? I thought this was common knowledge and fact.

There was an E.J. Korvettes on Route 110 next to the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington, Long Island. When we were kids we got the little XAM 5E speakers from there with a small solid state amp and a Garrard turntable. The XAMs, I think get a good sound. I also have an XAM 3Ewhich works very well with my Fisher 500 mono amp, and my Garrard Type A. The speakers have nice wood cabinets too.

I remember when I was about 15, my cousin let me drive his car around the parking lot of that Korvettes. I remember thinking how difficult it was to continue driving while trying to turn on the radio.

Last edited:
I remember the Town drive in and Korvettes. This the Fred Soop who helped organize Thurston high reunion?

Yes, it is. Are you from there as well? What class? In 2005, I found at least 25 missing classmates and will claim assist on another 25, including our exchange student from Brazil ..... who actually showed up for the reunion.

The drive in had a small playland in front of the screen. There was a train that you could ride around a loop. One evening, it derailed and the engineer basically ordered everyone off the playground while he carefully examined the truck that derailed. I think Telegraph Road was still only 4 lanes at that time. I may have bought a few records at Korvettes but we were more into Wards in Wonderland in Livonia for many things.

I remember Korvettes but can't remember where the closest one was, Maybe Roosevelt Field or Old Country Road in Hicksville, I still have a few albums from them though.

There was a Korvettes in Queens when I was a kid. Maybe somewhere on Queens Blvd... I don't really remember but it was there. It was kind of like a low-rent Macy's or at least that's my recollection.

my hi-fi korvettes was on 33 st(?) near Macys & Gimbels in Manhattan...my friends uncle worked in the audio dept....those XAM speakers were Electro-Voice made..as were the XAM amps.

I remember going to one in Woodbridge Virginia as a kid where I bought a Venus Fly Trap plant for like $1. I am sure my older brother bought some LP's there. A couple of years ago I found some XAM speakers that were ok but the cabinets were actually very good. I gutted them and use the cabinets for storing some LD's
WHERE in Woodbridge? Rte 1? My uncle lived in Woodbridge and I never remember seeing one there.

The first place I regularly bought LPs was the Korvettes at Arlington Heights and Rand roads in Arlington Heights, Illinois, in the early 1970s. They had a system where albums were marked with a letter, not a price. They then had signs which told you what the price was for each letter. When they had a sale (typically all albums on a particular label or labels), they had additional signs telling you what the sale price was for each letter. They also had the best selection of anyplace I could ride my bike to. I don't remember albums from them being warped, but by the time I had a decent turntable a hippy record store had opened in the mall across the street, so I started going there instead.

There was a Korvettes in Queens when I was a kid. Maybe somewhere on Queens Blvd... I don't really remember but it was there. It was kind of like a low-rent Macy's or at least that's my recollection.

I remember that store and can't remember it's specific location now, but that's where a lot of record purchases came from along with the store in NYC.

Old thread; I grew up with Korvettes, right up to their demise in 1980. I didn't buy records there, but my parents and relatives did. My dad bought me my first ten speed bike from there, a Kia....if only I could've seen the future.

Alexander's was a similar store that sold records and stereos. Alexander's was more of a discount store than Korvettes; You were sure to find Lloyd sets, Audiovox, Sharp and the other cheaper integrated sets with (of course) the good ol' BSR/McDonald tough as iron changers!

WHERE in Woodbridge? Rte 1? My uncle lived in Woodbridge and I never remember seeing one there.

Yes it was in Marumsco (?) Plaza as I recall. I think it was was probably gone by 72-73 maybe earlier as I don't remember it being around by the time I started High School. I want to say that the same store became a G.C. Murphy's.

I'm from class of '65,We had a little chat at Ma Ma mias,I think it was the 45th reunion.
Yes ,Telegraph was 4 lanes back then,great for drag racing.

This is off topic, but your name does not appear in '65, '64, or '63 yearbooks, nor the Commencement booklet. Mama Mias was the warm up for the 45 year reunion.

Back
Top Bottom