HH Scott 222c Restored....Again

SWL3600

I bought my 222c in 2009-2010 from a Klipsch forum member that had it restored by Nosvalves in 2006.

I've always liked the warm, intimate sound from the 222c but it always sounded small and weak. This kept me from listening to it most of the time.

Recently, I had Stereo Rehab out of Chicago go through it and correct everything that needed correcting. This thing sounds outstanding.

The soundstage is huge, the sound is warm and wayyy more detailed than before and it sounds great at any volume. Another thing to note is how the midrange comes shining through like it never had before. There is more music coming out of my speakers now.

If you're in the Chicago area I can highly recommend these guys.:thumbsup:

Can you provide a sense of what was done differently that opened the amplifier up so much?
Thanks!

I'll just say that he wasn't at all impressed with the work that was done prior. He showed me everything he did and as they say.....the proof is in the pudding.

This unit has never sounded this good. It's like I just got a new amp. The bass is tighter, the mids are playing more music and the sound is big and full. Hard to believe it's such a low powered unit.

I use my high powered amps to go north of 100db but the other day I had the Scott at about 95db and it sounded like Tom Petty was standing right in front of me.

As another Scott 222C owner, I would also be interested to learn more about what Stereo Rehab did.

For one thing, he replaced the original caps in the tone circuit which were never done in the previous restoration.

Another thing was that other caps that were replaced in the 2006 restoration, were replaced with caps from the early 1980's. So he installed new caps in place of them.

Some caps did not have the correct values. So he replaced them with caps of the proper values.

He rewired the sloppy wiring that was done in the prior restoration.

In addition to cleaning and bringing everything back to original, he advised me to bias the amp at 200mv.....rather than 220-250 that was advised by the prior tech.

As I said earlier, this amp sounds leaps and bounds better than it ever has since I've owned it. It sounds 'right'.

Last edited:
Just brought home a 222D that was restored by a member here, thought I don't know his username here (met him locally). It is sounding wonderful with my Tekton Lores; a step up from the borrowed Dynaco SCA-35 it replaced. When he gets back from a trip, I'm planning to get a preamp/tone control bypass input put in to try with other preamps.

Sounds like that original restoration was just . . . uninspired. No love for the equipment itself.

They still won't meet specs above above 10 KHZ or below 40 hz. Its just the nature of the design. I will say they do sound pretty good driving very efficient Altec or Klipsch speakers. I used mine with Stevens speakers Altec Carmels & Coronados and auditioned Cornwalls. Even my 299 couldn't compare to my MA 230.

I wonder if someone else got in there in the last 10 or 11 years since the NOS work. Not saying they did or didn't, but usually NOS Valve's work looks good -- never associated with sloppy anyway. No affiliation or relation. No work done by him. It's just a rare comment regarding his work.

Glad you've got it working so well! The 222C is a great amp!

Dave

Maybe the guy I bought it from monkeyed with it but he had it for 3-4 years after Nosvalves restoration so I'm not sure why he would have.

I'm just smiling from ear to ear since Casper laid his hands on it.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I wanted to respond. I purchased a 299B from another AKer that was restored by an NOSvalves about five years ago. I have no complaints. FWIW, I stacked up against some very good gear and it always comes out on top. Just my .02. Maybe the 222 was a "one-off?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom