HH Scott 340a tube receiver Overhaul

Update on Scott 340 rehab work:
We are now at $825 for better level replacement parts
and about 6 tubes. Has not been too far into the tuner yet however.
This money is 1/2 parts & 1/2 labor at $40/hr. Work done by an older gentleman
who has the best rep in town. I hope to get this back from Bill in a couple weeks.
Meantime I am doing a lot of tweaks on the speakers I will be using. Older Altecs.
wow, 40 bucks/hour! I need to up my rates! ( i just charge minimum wage).

Update on Scott 340 rehab work:
We are now at $825 for better level replacement parts
and about 6 tubes. Has not been too far into the tuner yet however.
This money is 1/2 parts & 1/2 labor at $40/hr. Work done by an older gentleman
who has the best rep in town. I hope to get this back from Bill in a couple weeks.
Meantime I am doing a lot of tweaks on the speakers I will be using. Older Altecs.

Ah heck, forgot to mention in my first post. Do not let the restorer talk you into new tubes. I'm not saying your restorer is up to anything but if he is, the old tubes are worth a small fortune and it would be easy to talk the client into new tubes. It's sort of like a car dealer service ticket writer who tells you what you need and you approve but worse. You get Russian crap and he gets vintage tubes for free. Be sure you get the old tubes back.

SoCal:I will get the old tubes back. I tested all 20 before he got it and we found two dead tubes.
Bill found two more. He is not the type I need to be concerned about pulling any type of scam
but thanks for the heads up.

Primo: Maybe get produces at 4 times your rate but if not then yes by all means raise your rates
unless you live near me. Haha!

SoCal:I will get the old tubes back. I tested all 20 before he got it and we found two dead tubes.
Bill found two more. He is not the type I need to be concerned about pulling any type of scam

Primo: Maybe get produces at 4 times your rate but if not then yes by all means raise your rates

Did not mean to impugn the character of your restorer nor did I imply you are a newb. I've seen enough shenanigans to last a life time. Your 340a is going to be a gem. I want one...bad.

Yeah, i just go at my own pace. I try to do it to my own satisfaction, or make it like how i would want to do it for myself. Otherwise, it just bothers me.
PS , Jeff, are you not a "Phoenixian"?

Primo-Yes I live south of the Biltmore area. Lets get together sometime!

So Cal- Hey I really do appreciate the heads up on the possible tube swap
scam. I had not thought about it. Luckily this guy came highly recommended,
is a very solid citizen and pretty much retired. He only took my job
because I was sent to him by an old acquaintance of his. I am a newbie
really.

yesterday I picked up the completed Scott 340 a. Tab was $777.00. I was also given all the replaced tubes,
and misc dead caps, etc.
Bill, pics and report to follow.

Hi guys! I just finished restoring my 340a I picked up on Craigslist. It was a deeply challenging but an utterly rewarding experience. To make a long story short, I replaced all coupling caps and any resistors in the audio path as well as all PS 'lytics. I even hand built the PEC222er phono chips using discrete components. It's an AMAZING amp and breathtaking soundstage on my KEF104/2 towers. LOADS of power.

That said, let me reach out for a small issue I'm having. Both the tape loop and Extra input are dead quiet, minus a tiny, tiny hum. You really have to listen at high volume. But, the phono stage 'leaks' or 'bleeds' FM. To clarify, just a tiny amount, but volume half way up, you can hear it. The Tele AX7s have their shields installed, and they test better than NOS. I even tried putting a pot in to send the FM output to ground (pot works): no change, oddly. Does anyone have any idea where to begin? Or, is this a common and unresolvable issue? I'd really love to fix it, as the phono stage is just amazing.

Thanks in advance!!

But, the phono stage 'leaks' or 'bleeds' FM. To clarify, just a tiny amount, but volume half way up, you can hear it. The Tele AX7s have their shields installed, and they test better than NOS. I even tried putting a pot in to send the FM output to ground (pot works): no change, oddly. Does anyone have any idea where to begin? Or, is this a common and unresolvable issue? I'd really love to fix it, as the phono stage is just amazing.

Thanks in advance!!

Move the dial just "Off station" to the right of left of a station. Between that and the muting circuit you'll have nothing and it will be free! "Free nothing" sounds like an oxymoron, but it's a "win.

Indeed moving the dial off-station helps, but there's still a clear amount of squelchy, white noise artifacts from FM that bleeds through. Like a ghost in the channel that won't go away! I shot the stuff today with a local techie type, and we both started wondering about leaky caps or maybe a bad solder joint/assembly issue from factory? Could AC hysteresis jump across wires? I'm going to scour the underside and make sure nothing is awry. It's clearly bleeding from somewhere prior to the final coupling caps output that I send to ground. Thanks again!

Also, another thought....I'm still a beginner student with tubes, so jump in and advise yes or no: Can I simply pull all the FM tubes out? I enjoy the radio, but could easily live without. I understand transformer loading, but it appears the circuits are all in parallel, and therefore wouldn't cause an voltage/amp issues for the pre/amp section. Just spit balling. Thanks again in advance!

I was lucky enough to purchase Jeff's HH Scott receiver not long ago. It's a beautiful unit that was wonderfully restored. Paired with my Revox B77 reel-to-reel the fidelity is superb. She found a good home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom