Hi-fi music streaming: People can't tell it when they hear it

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by Condorsat, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

:thumbsup: Good points.

2. eljr

eljr Koyaanisqatsi

agree

the test was totally bogus....

3. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

Bogus test? :dunno: ... I've always looked at it as proof of the effectiveness of Karlheinz Brandenburg's (headphones below) deadly toy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  4. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

NON -trained more than likely yes. Trained, no. Sorry, try a trained Sommelier blind tasting and see if you can fool them. That is what they are paid for. To be experts. I know others who have trained to tastes differences.

Just like Digital audio. One just needs to train one's ears. There are differences if you know how to hear the differences.

OH, and mp3 codec is just mp3. There are no differences in newer versus old - it has to use the same algorithm. Now there are different lossless compression systems, including MQA out there and they do it differently and that can be the efficiency.

6. eljr

eljr Koyaanisqatsi

I can taste differences in wines but I cannot attach the label of "better" to them at more than random.

Hi-res, SACD, Red Label, yes even MP3 I have never heard a difference between.

Of course my goal has never been to be able to.

I absolutely hear a difference in mastering. Not always of course, but not infrequently.

PAGS likes this.
  7. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

Sommelier's have been fooled. Sometimes spectacularly so. Seriously you need to read up on that a bit.

"Trained Ears" are Individual as well, not all people hear exactly the same way. Just like Sommelier's can sometimes disagree over a wine.

If you like what you hear there is little need to "Train" your ears. I prefer Digital Audio, some don't. To me it sounds "Better".

As mentioned in the post above, I too can hear the difference between a good or bad mastering. No ear training required.

Eric

eljr likes this.
  8. botrytis

The point being it is possible to train oneself. So there is one time or two. I think you are saying, 'well fool me once and I am done and it can't be done'. It can on average help and be done. it doesn't negate what I am saying.

There will always be outliers - does that mean the whole idea is thrown out - NO.

Condorsat and GChief like this.
  9. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

JRiver's newest version has a "listening test" of sorts that converts tracts of choice into various mp3 resolutions. I haven't tried it as I really am less concerned about mp3 anyhow as storage is now dirt cheap. My issues with streaming have less to do with the sound quality and more to do with their lame interfaces themselves. Dumbed down for the masses is what you get and until they have a way to let me use my own media player to stream my subscription through I simply can't take streaming very seriously. They will simply not get there on their own as most people don't want to learn any new software but simply want to switch on some music, with limited control over it.

10. botrytis

11. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm staying at a Holliday Inn Express while on the road for work in Seattle :beatnik:. I shall have the answer in the morning. :beerchug:

turnitdown likes this.
  12. GChief

Oh, and I can train about 65% of a class full of Sonar Techs to pick out man made sounds from ocean background noise. Some can some can't. Hope that helps someone's side of the disscusion.

:music:

13. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

But if one is happy with what they hear, why train?
    And if training leads to less happiness because of less opportunity for the better is one better.
    Perhaps ignorance IS bliss?

14. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

foobar can let you do double blind ABx tests by yourself. Comparing flac to 320kb mp3, I often can't tell the difference consistently. Only some songs though I can consistently score over 90%, usually stuff I know well with distinct bass notes, and using my nearfield + sub setup (BG radia z1 + energy exl-e8 subwoofer). Music that doesn't have much bass, I can't score consistently on at all. I also score less consistently with headphones.

15. botrytis

I don't mean people have to but if they want to they can.

For listening tests use a simple file, like a single instrument - solo piano or guitar - it really helps.

GChief likes this.
  16. GChief

We used good quality raw sensor recordings on 1.5" tape with instructors coaching what you should be listening for. These "listening sessions" where part of various classes on acoustic analyst. I need to try out some of the ones you guys are linking.

17. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

I know, but most just don't care that much and are pleased with what they have. Convenience and moderate quality rules the mas market.

It's basically pointless to even discuss this here as it was pointed out over a year ago when this thread was fresh, as we ain't "most folks", and "most folks" probably aren't checking in here to voice their opinion.

18. GChief

I raised my 28 and 22 year old daughters right and their systems have converted many of the BT portable friends!! I converted many myself by training them with casual listening over beers, most actually get it, a few follow through with it. You have to train your relief people. :) if they show an interest I make the effort.