Hi from Ireland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bikeman, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

20180213_161501.jpg
    The sun has at last made an appearance! I remember the Black Forest area as being stunningly beautiful:biggrin:

2. ragtopolds6

ragtopolds6 Active Member

welcome northern Ireland or southern.....if from the north any blakeleys around ya...

Bikeman likes this.
  3. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome! Went to Ireland once. What a beautiful country. My Dad and rented a car and it was always a challenge for me driving on the left side of the road. Had to tell myself mentally what to do as I made turns and came to roundabouts. Loved the old castles and stone walls. I remember my Dad saying "If those walls could talk..."

Again, welcome aboard!

Bikeman likes this.
  4. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

Southwest in the Republic...not too far from Luke Skywalkers island!

5. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

Hi,we're used to crazy tourists driving on the wrong side, mind, lots of roads around here aren't wide enough to have two sides. Visited NY in 2001, I was into the blues at the time, I remember a blues CD store that was almost bigger than my town, was a bit overwhelmed, but managed to come away with a few CD's. Great city.

jgannon likes this.
  6. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Welcome, Biker to the electronic world of AK.

Always room in the Inn for one of the boys from the Green Isle.

Sounds like you've a gremlin in that there player!:D

Q

Bikeman likes this.
  7. jgannon

Ha ha, yes I can imagine tourists doing that. And I remember those roads! My father and I called the front passenger seat " the death seat', because when you were sitting in it, it looked the oncoming car was going to go right into you.

Hmm...I'm trying to think of a big CD store that only sold Blues CDs. That place would no doubt, be long gone now, as CDs are no longer the big thing, and rents have gone into nosebleed territory. New York has changed alot since then.

8. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK.

Bikeman likes this.
  9. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

At this stage I couldn't say that it only dealt in blues, it was spread over two buildings, the BB King section was larger than my whole music collection Looking through my CD's I would think my last purchase was in 2009, Kelly Joe Phelps Western Bell. The system I have has been virtually unused for years, I have been reading threads on AK, Vinyl Engine, What Hi Fi etc looking at my options regarding music format, I haven't tried streaming and with my rate of purchase can't see the point of subscribing to a streaming website, we don't have an audio or CD/record shop in the area, everything requires online purchase...hmm...maybe this is one of the reasons I didn't bother anymore...I loved to browse records and pick up rarities...looking through a website just doesn't cut it, no feel, no smell, no banter...buying music used to be like the comic book store in The Big Bang Theory!

jgannon likes this.
  10. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

Bikeman likes this.
  11. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

I moved to Kerry in '96, the case has been in and out of the news the whole time I've been here. One day while in Cork Ian Bailey ran around a corner I was walking towards and I side stepped him, turned the corner to see a bunch of reporters and cameramen in pursuit! hanks for the link I'll give it a listen.

sberger likes this.
  12. jgannon

I'm wondering if you went to the Virgin Mega Store on 14th St. and Broadway right across from Union Square. That place was so great. CDs, books, DVDs. Huge place.

As far as ordering things, I'm thinking go for the online purchases if you don't have anywhere locally to peruse. Discogs and ebay are two great places. Take your time, get the things you want, and enjoy!

Bikeman likes this.
  13. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

It definitely wasn't a Virgin Mega Store, after wrecking my head I will have to opt for Tower Records, but I can't be certain, google seems to be not a lot of help sometimes!

jgannon likes this.
  14. jgannon

I'm trying to remember if Tower was still around then. But I think you may be right. They had a store on W. 4th and Broadway. They also had the store behind it, I which was 4th avenue and 4th St. I loved Tower Records. I got a lot of records there before they made the transition to CDs. I have to find out when they closed again. I miss those places, I'll tell ya. Even if you didn't want to buy something, they were a refuge, a place to hang out in.

15. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Aloha and welcome! My wife is from Edinburgh, Scotland, love visiting all of UK.

I'm about the pull the trigger on the Q Acoustics, are those the 3050's? Can you tell me how you like them? Pros/cons?

16. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

Hi Kray,
    I'm really enjoying the 3050's, I've only had them since early January and am still moving them around before I settle on their final resting position. I couldn't describe myself as an audiophile, but I don't like speakers to shout at me! Currently they are about 11 feet apart and 14 inches off the rear wall. On most recordings they are lovely from highs to lows with good imaging, occasionally on some recordings they "boom", this can be corrected by inserting the foam bung into the port. I listen to blues, rock, Sinatra "swing", acoustic, classical, I don't think I have anything that would be modern "pop", dance, hip hop, electronic, if that helps.

My room is 18x20 feet, I replaced a pair of Castle Durham 900 as they couldn't "fill" the room. I live a long way from any Audio shop, the reason I chose the 3050's is because I met George Dexter of Q Acoustics who was on holiday near me, we got talking and he recommended his own product :)naughty:) to suit what I already had. I ended up buying them without a listen, a nerve wracking decision making process involving reading reviews over and over. I'm glad I have them but as I didn't listen to any comparable speaker I can't say that they are better than speaker X, they appear to suit me :biggrin:. I bought them at an excellent price in a sale and got a mahogany vinyl wrap, if you know Castle speakers from the '80's/90's they were beautifully veneered, so the Q's look a step down in the finish. I haven't seen the laqacquered 3050's but I think they would look better, not saying the one's I have look bad, they passed the wife test!

All in all I'm happy with my speakers and they have helped my "comeback" into the world of audio. I hope this is helpful in your decision making!

17. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Thanks! that helps... I listen to same music as you. So i'd assume the Q's fill your room nicely now? compared to your last

18. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

I don't listen at loud volumes so I needed a speaker that would give me a nice sound at the lower frequencies which the 3050's are doing, I was turning the amp up and up with the Castle Durhams until I'd give up due to the loudness, when I lived in a smaller room I loved the Castles, I'll keep them, maybe for a bedroom/office system.

19. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

You're scenario sounds very much like mine. My current speakers need to be turned up to get the best performance out of them. I'd like something that performs better at lower levels, hence my looking at the 3050's.

Great thing is in USA, they have a 30-day trial with free return shipping, so it's no risk, but just hassle of packing them backup to ship back if i don't like them

20. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

Sounds like an excellent deal, if you could get 3050's and another to compare then you'd make a great choice, I don't know the American market but I was reading around KEF and Monitor Audio, it was the chat with George Dexter that swung it. Good luck with the listening:music: