Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm a vinylholic.

dirtygeek

Hi everyone!

I just recently was able to convince my husband to spend cash so I can listen to my vinyl again, so I'm here soaking up info. We bought the system in my signature all pieced from craigslist, last week. I wanted a Pioneer SX - 737 (ohhh the blue light is mesmerizing), but my the husband wanted a receiver for home theatre, so we compromised.

I guess it doesn't need to be said that I love music. Mostly skronky type stuff. Anything that is at the top of it's game is interesting for me, though. Kurt Weill, Penderecki, Pere Ubu, King Crimson, Diamanda Galas, Miles Davis, Betty Davis, and I recently found out about Laura Nyro. Also a fan of the typical fare for my generation - indie, folk pop and grunge. I cut my teeth on Simon and Garfunkle, The Beatles and Emerson Lake and Palmer and I have a soft spot for Pink Floyd. Bless.

I am not a tech head, but I am buckling down so I can figure out how to calibrate my TT. I am fascinated by gear, but it's mostly just sparkly for me.

Thanks for the interesting reading and I'm glad to be here.

Welcome Cathy,
Pretty sure you'll enjoy your stay here.
Woudl be very interesting to learn from you about the infamous "Man Acceptance Factor" (just do a search on WAF and you'll understand :) )
19,999 members to go

I keep telling myself that if I can sort this cable pattern, I can tackle calibration. Thank you for a link with pictures. It definitely helps.

Welcome Kathy, that was an eyeopener:yes: I was expecting to see the underside of a tube amp. It's very trendy here in Tucson to knit, the youngin's, the guy's, (havin' to fight more folks flippin through LP's everywhere) If anyone here doesn't knoe the answer to a Q you have they will lead you to a link that will help like meggy did(meggy, buddy, I got those presents going out tomorrow,lot's happening down here! Didn't forget ya!)
Craig

Hi Kathy,

Hey that is some excellent music you are listening too! Sparkly is good, my favortie kinda vintage gear, that and they tend to sound pretty darn good.

I bet the Pioneer SX-737 could give the Harmon Kardon a run for it's money.

Anyways... welcome to AK!

Carl

stuwee, it is trendy to knit, and I am definitely one of those who followed the trend. My friend KK picked it up and knitted a basic scarf for me, and I kept stretching it out wondering how she did it, and I had to see if I could do it, too. Now it's integral to my life. Lots of guys knit. You could pick up some sticks and try it when a race is on. It's addicting. :thmbsp:

palindrome, I had to look it up, but I got a laugh out of that. The MAF is something with which I continuously grapple. He is very levelheaded and we don't have lots of extra cash laying around, and I have some very expensive hobbies, and ideas for hobbies. I really want a salt water tank, but the cost is outrageous! I'm waiting for him to finish school before I broach that subject again. I did get a free freshwater tank though, from a friend, and I'm working on setting that up.

onepixel, what sorts of music do you like?

Kathy, I'm gonna do it! not just while watching on TV with the bud's I'll even have somebody take a pic of me sittin' on the couch in my Home Depot racin' jacket and cap, knittin' away! But, at the track as well:thmbsp: Now that would make quite the avatar....eh? I had a 65gal salt water tank for years built it into the custom head board man I miss it I'll dig up the photo's and have 'um scanned, old school, no negs ya know. Not so expensive if you start slow I could give ya tips, do you live by an ocean,bay or gulf?
Craig

...onepixel, what sorts of music do you like?

Do you remember that O'Jay's song, I love Music, any kinda music... as long as it's groovin.

I like it all. :)

If you can make heads or tails of that cable pattern, you'll be building tube amps real soon!

Craig, No, I don't. Currently in KC, about to move to Erie for DH's school stuff.

When he graduates, we are moving somewhere on the pacific northwest coast. Haven't decided where yet. I want cliffs with big rocks and wind and big trees and a good spot for growing blueberries and other fruits/veggies. You wouldn't happen to know of a place like that, would you?

I always like to geek out on aquaria stuff and if you find pics of your tank, I will appropriately ohh and ahhh for sure. :D

onward, that pattern is a total pain, and I am still working on it, but I do love it. It's one stitch at a time and it's just sticks and string. Before I got into it, I had no.idea. how much time and effort someone put into handmade knits. Do you knit? Are you on ravelry yet?

Yep, know some really nice folks for years that love the northern Puget sound, Vancover area very well, been trying to get up that way, but, they come down here for the World Famous Gem & Mineral show every Feb. Super nice folks:yes:I'll shoot 'um an e-mail, been meaning to anyway,thanks for the reminder:D:thmbsp::thmbsp: I'll PM you my e-mail tomorrow, off to:boring: my PM is pretty full,I'm helpin some folks find some gear and need to transfer and clear it tomorrow! Nice meeting ya' Hit ya tomorrow!!
Peace Craig
Go :smoke: #20 in Richmond (night race)

Cliffs w/big rocks 'n' wind 'n' trees 'n' stuff ?!? Honeychile, you want Maine, sounds to me like...You into "Dark Shadows", too ? (grin) Welcome to AK !

Cliffs w/big rocks 'n' wind 'n' trees 'n' stuff ?!? Honeychile, you want Maine, sounds to me like...You into "Dark Shadows", too ? (grin) Welcome to AK !

Sandy, you old Cur, ya beat me to it! Sounds like the Maine coast for sure! Plus, we have LOBSTERS! :yes:

Welcome aboard, Kathy, I think you will find this a pleasent, informative, and fun place to hang!

Hi, my name is Carl and I, well, used to knit. But I've been clean 35 years now. :D

Hi Cathy, welcome to AK. If you are having budget issues, you came to the wrong place. :yes: Like money over a waterfall, these are the sounds...

Hi Kathy!

Welcome to A-K! I've only been here a short while, I also was looking for something (and found it) to be able to play my vinyl again. Everyone here has been very nice and helpful! I went from looking for info about my Sansui to looking into restoring an old tube radio I've had for years. If you can sort out that cable pattern you can definately figure out your electronic gear!! I'm impressed, I've crocheted for years but never have been able to get the hang of that knittin' thing. It's amzing how something that looks so frustrating at the outset is actually relaxing, just like this stuff! :D

Back
Top Bottom