hi + low end system

bigchainring

I am new the the AK web site. I have a (probably low end) stereo system, and just obtained a turntable.

Is there a piece of equipment or part I can replace to make my vinyl listening experience better? What change would make the most difference in sound quality?
Thx
Matt

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675
Turntable: Sony PS-LX430 run through Pyle preamp
Stylus: Audio Technica AT81CP
5 speakers, passive SW

Incrementally improve components over time when budget allows. Maybe try a better phono-pre to begin with.

TCC TC-750 Phono Preamp << link. This component sounds good for the money .. still using an
old TC-760 to this day on my headphone vinyl rig.

I am new the the AK web site. I have a (probably low end) stereo system, and just obtained a turntable.

Is there a piece of equipment or part I can replace to make my vinyl listening experience better? What change would make the most difference in sound quality?
Thx
Matt

5 speakers, passive SW

The stylus on the Audio Technica AT 81 CP may be upgrade to an elliptical for better sound reproduction.

Try a new elliptical stylus when the conical stylus you are using starts to wear out. :music:
https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN3472SE.html

Upgrade your cartridge and phono preamp for vinyl improvement. Cartridge first, I would guess. Do one at a time, to hear the difference in each.

Replacing your speakers might improve everything, if chosen carefully. You didn't list what you have for speakers.

Each piece of the puzzle can have a profound effect on the "quality" of the sound signature. I do not know what speakers you are you using and without knowing that I would opt to get a better receiver/amplifier if your stylus is in good shape.

I found that better amplification makes the speakers sound "better" thus everything sounded better. I've done multiple comparison between my Crown D60 and a Yamaha RX-V596 with my Bozak MB80s. While the Yamaha was pleasant to listen too, in comparison to the Crown D60, the Yamaha was definitely not as transparent and dynamic over the Crown.

Thx
Matt

5 speakers, passive SW

Five speakers bad. Two speakers good. More is not better in this case. Two good hi-fi speakers will create better sound than five mediocre speakers. ELAC is good new. Many good used options.
Then, IMO, get a proper amplifier with a built in phono preamp. Receiver, integrated, pre/power, whatever. Unless you actually listen to the radio an integrated amp would be your best option.
Good luck on your journey.

For better speakers, I suggest hitting all the thrift stores and yard sales - until you find some. I’ve picked up some pretty decent sounding speaks @ the Willie. I’m using a good sounding pair of B&W 640i’s, picked up for $35 @ the Willie. Cabinets are scratched up, but they sound quite nice - and I can always refinish the cabinets.

Thx
Matt

5 speakers, passive SW

speakers:
JVC SP-THD6F front speakers
Sony SS-CEX100 surround

Even with mediocre speakers, and your existing cart/stylus, you’ll hear a definite improvement by moving up from that Pyle phono pre. I tried one. Small, constrained sound. I was using an AT Z100x cart, conical stylus. Very much like the 81. RCA Speakers. I moved back to my built in phono pre on my receiver. YUGE difference in sound!

Some good recommendations above for a much better sounding separate phono preamp. Your cart is fine; your speakers are good enough to hear the difference.

Agree with the speakers first comments. I would disregard the comments on the Pyle upgrade as the first step. First is the speakers. Your running a stereo system which implies 2 channel audio. Why do you have 5 speakers with sub? I would get focused on a nice bookshelf pair as mentioned above. Nothing wrong with using the sub in that setup. The Pyle is a consideration after that otherwise any changes made to a pre may not be fully realized.

Back
Top Bottom