Hi, My name is John and I'm an audioholic.

Good place for replacement B&O cart

Hi John. I'd say "welcome" but since I placed my very first post all of about 60 seconds ago, I think that would be presumptious. So, I'll just say "hi."

You may be aware of all of your options on your Beogram 1800 cartridge, but I just went through the process of replacing my failed MMC2 cartridge for my 1800 and I thought I'd share. I ended up placing an order for a replacement MMC4 clone ($162) from this place "SoundSmith." Best I could find on-line. From the customer reviews I've read on line and from my phone calls with them, they seem top notch. They manufacture a full range of B&O cartridge clones, sell replacement, remanufactured original B&O cartridges, and will even attempt to repair yours (expensive).

--Matt

AA meeting Part II

My fall from audio sobriety started, as it so often does, as a series of seemingly innocuous events. The first occurred on the day that my VCR went into a steady state mode of stillness and turned into a nifty clock. A clock that was right only twice a day, but a clock none the less. I had used the VCR for the sole purpose of taping sporting events, and of course to view rentals of Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, the ones with one word titles only. This loss created a void in my life. To fill that void I sought the advice of coworkers. The second innocent turn down the wrong path.

My coworkers, after they had stopped laughing at the age and make of my recently departed VCR, recommended that I buy a DVD/VCR combo unit(All the cool kids were doing it). They proclaimed that the video/audio quality of DVD was far superior to tape for watching movies and that I could still tape my sporting events. Being the impressionable middle age lad that I am I took their advice. Besides I didn’t have anything to fear with regards to the superior audio part tempting me back to my old ways as I listened through my TVs little 2 inch speaker. I could handle it, no problem. So I purchased a DVD/VCR combo unit and for a while I returned to my happy audio free state of being, until I was blindsided by the “Enabler” and led further down the path by the next inconspicuous event.

The “Enabler”, let’s call him Kenny, since that was his name, made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. You all know a Kenny, he’s the guy who has all the things that audio video junkies lust after. You know what I’m talking about, large screen plasma, 7.1 Dolby surround sound, CD/DVD/DVR HD and some other Ds that I had never heard of. Anyway, so one day at work Kenny sidles on over to me at the water cooler and says to me, “I hear you just got a new DVD/VCR unit”. I said “Yeah, that’s right, why? What’s it to ya?” He say’s “Nothing, it’s just that I got these speakers that I’m not using and I gotta get rid of it because my old lady is harping to me about getting rid of some of my stuff to make more room. She want’s me to put them in a tag sale. But I ain’t selling my stuff to just anybody.” And I said “I not in the market for speakers, I don’t really want to buy any at this time.” Then he say’s to me “I’m not talking about selling them to you, I wanna give them to you, for free. I rather you have them for free then sell them to somebody for a few dollars.” To which I, after considering all of the implications of the offer and in recognition of my past history with audio, said “Sure, why not.”

Next, how the hook is set and my pusher my pal.

Welcome Retrex!

However, coming here in an attempt to stop your audio addiction is like going to a crackhouse to kick a drug habit.

Dave

Welcome !

After reading your posts, I already feel a book in the making.... looking forward to the next chapter :music:

Well, you seem to have taken Step 1:

Admitted that we are powerless over audio--that our living rooms had become unmaneagable.

However, you're sitting at the bar! Next to me! Let's have another and you can tell me your story. I just got here, too.

AA meeting part III

So the all the events that lead up to my Jim Ignatowski fall from audio sobriety having come to pass the only thing left is the hook. The speakers Kenny wanted to give me were nothing special, some floor standing three way model made by Fisher. But, they were free and I couldn’t resist. The next day after work we met at lowest level of the parking garage at work and he transferred the speakers from his mini van to my car. And with a sleazy “Enjoy” from Kenny , the deed was done. I took them home and immediately hooked them up. It had been so long since I had done anything like this and I wasn’t sure that I would remember how. As it turned out it was just like riding a bike, you never forget how. I had a Sansui 221 that I kept in the basement along with a Toshiba cassette deck, just in case, that I brought upstairs and hooked them up to the speakers, to my new DVD/VCR, and to my TV.

I had rented a DVD for my first session and popped it into the DVD side of the player, cranked up the volume on the 221 sat back in my easy chair, and prepared myself to watch and listen. When the THX sounder came up on that DVD I don’t know whose head popped up faster, mine or my dogs. I can’t remember what the movie was, the only thing I remember was that it sounded good, real good. But it wasn’t only DVD movies that sounded good, everything sounded good. Regular TV programming, sports, public TV specials(Australian Pink Floyd, David Gilmore inconcert) and even commercials.

My choice of videos expanded out from my usual one word Austrian actor type to include a wider and more sonically varied selections. The more I listened the more I wanted. (Pause while I listen to Jim Croce’s “Recently” and “The Hard Way Every Tme”, on vinyl, beautiful stuff). A couple of things that I found especially interesting on DVDs are listed below;

The opening music to the movie Bad Company, starring Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins music “BMBBO” by Trevor Rabin,. I watched the movie once, and played the opening couple of minutes a dozen times or more.
Taste, jut the first part, spit out the seeds that are the second.
http://www.last.fm/music/Trevor+Rabin/+videos/+1-n5PFvxsV938

The music for the movie Serenity music by David Newman, especially good is the music for the final epic fight scene of Summer vs. the Reavers. For those that “got” the series and the movie, there are lots of little gems to enjoy.
Taste, google the below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv3Tt0fFJkU

From Not Another Teen Movie the Marilyn Manson cover of “Tainted Love” was interesting, not my usual cup of tea, but interestingly done.
Taste, with viewer discretion strongly advised,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1MAkEVAXyE&feature=relatedIt sounds much better on the DVD, nicely mixed.

Well, those are some of the hooks, my pusher and my pal later.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK....although this forum most concentrates on "finding more power" not a "higher power" ;-)

DK

Had another setback this week, I'm starting to think I need accelerated therapy. Perhaps going to a concert?

Back
Top Bottom