Hickok 533A tube tester

JT1016

I pick up a hickok 533A tube tester and I want to know if it is worth fixing. Here is what is working 1. Line voltage is adjustable and can be set. 2. Rectifieing tubes such as 5y3 can be tested. Here is what does not work, tubes such as 12ax7, while pressing P4 the needle doesn't move or it moves backwards a little. The 12ax7 is a known good tube on my tv-7 tube tester. The tester itself is very good condition for its age. Any ideas what's wrong with it or is somebody available to fix and calibrate it, hopefully someone near Milwaukee WI. Cost of the tester was only 20 USD.

Most likely you have to change the Capacitor's and test and replace all the off spec resistors, also test
the tubes inside the tester. That's what I had to do with my 600a I would test tubes and every tube was
coming up as having a short, so I had to replace the three 47 ohm resistors hidden among the circuits
once that was done it been pretty much working great. Oh and don't forget to check the fuses I'm not
sure if your's uses bulbs like mine.

Make sure the tube inside the tester is seated correctly otherwise you wont get any movement on the meter when testing tubes.i have a stark 9-66a that occasionally quit giving me any meter and each time i had to reseat the rectifier tube.

The 533 series has a "NORMAL-REVERSE" switch just under the METER. Drizzle a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of DeOxit into the switch from the underside, and exercise it vigorously. If the needle deflects below ZERO, throw the switch to "REVERSE" and test again. The pots and switches may need to be cleaned. DO NOT USE De-OXIT (in any form)on tube testers. You can use a q-tip and 91% isopropyl, or a NON RESIDUE Electronics cleaner / Contact cleaner such as CRC QD Electronics Cleaner or CRC QD Contact Cleaner. Both are @ Home Depot in the Electrical Dept. Use a little as possible and minimize overspray!!!!

There aren't that many electrolytics in it (5 or 6 IIRC). a couple of them are bipolar IIRC. In any event replace them. Check the Diode bridge or P.S. Diodes, and both tubes. PREHEAT the 83 tube (heaters only) with the tube in a vertical position for an hour BEFORE TESTING. It's a Mercury Vapor tube and the mercury needs to congregate at the bottom of the glass envelope before testing. The other tube is usually a 5y3gt.

CLEAN ALL TUBE SOCKETS with DeOxit on an Interdental Brush (looks like a minaturized bottle brush only for dental braces. ) Do this for all sockets, and jacks. This is the only place DeOxit is allowed on Tube Testers.

Second the advice to look for capacitors. Probably about 2 in the average Hickok. It should spring to life in most cases but may not be calibrated.

I think I follow that advice larryd but you said never use DeOxit on tube testers and then gave two places to use it. Although I agree with your assessment.

The place to avoid getting DeOxit is on phenolic circuit boards AND especially the rotary wafer switches. They also have phenolic plastic disks and if that oily residue gets on them, current can leak and mess up the accuracy. A piece of stiff paper or a card wetted and slid between the contacts is the way to do those.

Back
Top Bottom