High End System For the Elderly

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
Lets face it as we get older large system with heavy components taking up a large amount of floor space isn't going to cut it. All the while we are accustomed to a quality level in build, sonics and aesthetics. Every time I move a 125-150 mac amp and swap out a set of 125lb speakers and even a 60lb turntable I cringe. I don't really want to do it and I'm capable and still young enough at 53.

Some of us might be heading in haveing some physical problems sooner than later if not already. Walking might start becomming a problem and space for a wheel chair or your hands are not free with a cane. Some might need to move out of a house and into a smaller dwelling.

With what's avalibal today, what can we build that's not to tinny in power and speakers. A good match in power and eficency of speakers will go a long ways here. That will need no service and have convenience of remotes, looks cool, built at a high level in separates or intergrates, easily available. All the while room filling dynamic SQ with the components not weighing more than 40-50 lb each on the high side, and keeping the foot print in the room to a minimum.

Criteria
Turntable Capable built in or stand alone stage
Didital Capable

This is one component I have been thinking of getting for a bedroom system that will work here as well. I just don't know a lot about newer speakers to match with it.

The McIntosh MHA100

By the way this is RonC a member here and it lets you see how small this unit is.

CES2014_McIntosh.jpg

a907c3748c35ae8aa2be2778f1c04b19.jpg

mcintosh_mha100_headphone_amplifier_3.jpg

Even though it's being push and was designed as a headphone amp, it's a 50 Watt intergrate, built in DAC with Digital & Analog inputs and speaker outputs.

A smaller set of speakers, a stand alone stage, Turntable, Computer and some headphones should make a very nice small system.

DIMENSIONS (W X H X D)
11-1/2"(29.2cm) x 5-9/16" (14.1cm) x 18" (45.7cm)

WEIGHT
26.5 lbs (12 kg)

Unless we have grandchildren with strong backs, I think we will all end up with integrated amps, stand mounted speakers and streaming audio.

The Mac looks most interesting. Same with the TOTL Luxman integrated amps from Japan.

There are enough stand mounted speakers to keep us busy for awhile. ;)

The new Parasound Integrated 2.1 looks good to me. 33 pounds. 160 wpc into 8 ohms, 240 into 4 ohms. Headphone amp. Phono inputs. DAC with ESS Sabre32, USB input, analogue bass management, XLR I/O, Preamp outputs.

http://www.parasound.com/hint.php#

That looks like a nice featured unit I wonder what it sounds like.

Plenty of power to drive some sonus faber Olympic III or something like them.

Last edited:
Bah. While I'm still able, ive begun screwing big casters to the bottom of everything. If I become infirm I will be the snazziest geezer at the convalescent home with my klipschorn wheelchair.

Dan,

I saw the MHA100 at LMC in Scottsdale. Let me assure you that is McIntosh thru and thru. I listened to it with the Mc headphones and was duly impressed. SQ, fit and finish, and the look were all off the charts good. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already been driving their k-horns with one.

Integrated components will certainly be in our future ... In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my big heavy stuff.

I've had two back surgeries with number three looming on my horizon. I have six 100 lb. speakers and three 50 plus pound amps that I can think of. I've never once considered the weight of any of my gear. While I appreciate my lighter weight stuff, the day I don't consider buying something based on it's weight is the day I find a new hobby. Knitting anyone?

cubdog

Lets face it as we get older large system with heavy components taking up a large amount of floor space isn't going to cut it. All the while we are accustomed to a quality level in build, sonics and aesthetics. Every time I move a 125-150 mac amp and swap out a set of 125lb speakers and even a 60lb turntable I cringe. I don't really want to do it and I'm capable and still young enough at 53.

Some of us might be heading in haveing some physical problems sooner than later if not already. Walking might start becomming a problem and space for a wheel chair or your hands are not free with a cane. Some might need to move out of a house and into a smaller dwelling.

With what's avalibal today, what can we build that's not to tinny in power and speakers. A good match in power and eficency of speakers will go a long ways here. That will need no service and have convenience of remotes, looks cool, built at a high level in separates or intergrates, easily available. All the while room filling dynamic SQ with the components not weighing more than 40-50 lb each on the high side, and keeping the foot print in the room to a minimum.

Criteria
Turntable Capable built in or stand alone stage
Didital Capable

Nope I don't see anything in this post asking if others will be keeping their 150 lb amps and speakers.

Simple really, the question is to build a high end rig that's lighter in weight and smaller footprint, all the while keeping great SQ and the excellence in the gear we're used to.

Last edited:
As much as I admire the McIntosh and Parasound, it would boil down to the cost of said components.

Here's something to think about. Some of us who reaching retirement, we are also considering downsizing. As much as I love my audio system, I'm not sure I will be able to move this stuff around. With that said, there is one component I have had my eye since last year. Since we are discussing small size, let me introduce you to the Tec NP-H750

Front

Rear

The NP-H750 is a USB DAC/Network Audio Player/Integrated Amplifier. This unit puts out 40wpc, dimensions are 290 (W) x 113 (H) x 340 (D)mm and weight is 5.4kg, two auxiliary connects, phono stage, and a headphone jack.

If we downsize, the room will be smaller, and 40 wpc will be powerful enough to handle small rooms. This one is high on my want list. I would like to know the price of the Mac and Parasound.

Last edited:
I am already at the stage where weight and bulk are a consideration in any changes I make nor involving a lottery jackpot.
$4500 for the Mac isn't chump change for most of us, but someone downsizing High End could afford it. Aftermarket maintainance down the line if needed shouldn't be an issue.
I wonder what appropriate smaller scale high performance speakers would suit it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sigfried Linkwitz has the answer.
The original Pluto and Pluto 2.1 were made for those of us that are aging.
I lusted after these when they were first available.
Now I am lusting after the LX Studio.

I guess if I were serious I could sell off some amps and other stuff and just get them.

My wife would be happy not to have mini-fridge sized speakers in my listening room... I mean in our living room.

http://http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

No affiliation.

Art

Last edited:
I am already at the stage where weight and bulk are a consideration in any changes I make nor involving a lottery jackpot.
$4500 for the Mac isn't chump change for most of us, but someone downsizing High End could afford it. Aftermarket maintainance down the line if needed shouldn't be an issue.
I wonder what appropriate smaller scale high performance speakers would suit it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I would say a good pair of Focal bookshelf speakers would do nicely, or even a pair of Canton bookshelf speakers. You can get stands for both. I have a pair of Focal 806V on a pair of Focal S700 stands, and our room is 11ft wide x 14ft long.

4-2-7 I am not trying to be a smart ass in this post but seriously, one is never too old to start exercising. :)

I am 54 and my business which is Chistmas tree farming is very physically demanding.

I still engage in weightlifting at least 4 times a week in my basement to stay in good physical shape.

My amp weighs in at 85lbs and it stays on it's current stand.

I would get someone to help you with moving one of your nice amps.

4-2-7 I am not trying to be a smart ass in this post but seriously, one is never too old to start exercising. :)

I am 54 and my business which is Chistmas tree farming is very physically demanding.

I still engage in weightlifting at least 4 times a week in my basement to stay in good physical shape.

My amp weighs in at 85lbs and it stays on it's current stand.

I would get someone to help you with moving one of your nice amps.

Dude I think ahead, I do physical work all day long. I also know I moved into this house 3 years ago. I must have moved 15 tons of big block FE engines in this house alone, that's not exaggerating either. Then comes all the roll arounds tool boxes, stereo gear not to mention 4000 records. Im in a 1400 sqf 3 bedroom 2 car garage house by myself, and I don't have a guest room because they are all storge. I would feel very sorry for my family to have to clear this house out if Im unable/ or not around anymore to do it. I have so much tonage it's not funny.

That a side I would like to see If anyone can put together a high end system folowing the OP.

I noted the Parasound Integrated above. I would like to hear that unit powering Sonus Faber or Joseph Audio monitors (I'm sure some others too). Such a system might just be the trick for a smaller, lighter system which still produces great audio.

I moved my 55 pound center channel speaker around last week and my back was sore for the rest of the day. So I can relate to this thread! Being on the wrong side of 60 is a bitch.

I noted the Parasound Integrated above. I would like to hear that unit powering Sonus Faber or Joseph Audio monitors (I'm sure some others too). Such a system might just be the trick for a smaller, lighter system which still produces great audio.

I agree it has a nice look and I would love to hear how it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom