High End System For the Elderly

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by 4-2-7, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think this old sucker system looks a lot like a young guy system to me. I think being an old guy should have some perks, not restrictions, based on the ability to move stuff.

2. Dissonant

Dissonant Active Member

My choice would be the Marantz PM7005. DSD and the works, a good amount of power, still Made in Japan and has the Marantz support network. For monitors, something like an ATC SCM11. That'd be something I'd set up.

Agreed that anyone in such a situation should look for fairly compact all-in-one products.

3. Namikis

Namikis New Member

This concern is one of the things that keeps me going to the gym regularly at 55: to maintain the ability to lift heavy speakers and amps. :banana:

Leland47 likes this.
  4. Gibsonian

Amen. Not a gym dude here but I get exercise of some sort most every day. Can move bigger speakers now than when I was 20 (and I have bigger speakers now than then!) and I'm 51. I'll keep fighting the battle, and continue to listen to big speaks and amps as long as I can.

5. chuckworkb

chuckworkb AK Subscriber Subscriber

Get your sons, son in laws, nephews, grandsons etc., to carry that heavy stuff.

6. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Super Mod Subscriber

I would be looking at a integrated amp if I ever gave up my Tri-Amped rig, but I really don't see that happening unless we decide to downsize from our current residence.
    Regards,
    Jim

7. maxhifi

maxhifi Super Member

My comment is as follows:

When you become elderly, do you also plan on buying a stove, or a washing machine which is easily moved? I would say to buy something reliable that you like a lot, and keep it in one spot.. maybe get a rack with an open back to keep inputs accessible. This isn't portable audio here, there's no need to be moving things around on a regular basis. Even tube amps can sit in one sport for many years and just work.

I already have speakers I need help to move, I can't see that changing any time soon

Gibsonian likes this.
  8. Gibsonian

If you were a lot closer I'd definitely help you move those speakers. When I'm geezing it up later in life and can't move big speaks and amps, hope to have some young bucks (grandsons, etc) to come over to do it while I supervise and sip my beer!

9. maxhifi

maxhifi Super Member

It isn't due to age, or me being frail, they're just huge and heavy! :) if I try moving the la scalas up and down stairs by myself there will definitely be collateral damage and most likely injury

My hope is that by the time I am old, my stereo will be so great I have no desire to ever move it, well aside from the tonearm.

As for retirement homes, smaller quarters, etc. when the plane has really began to descend I suppose I could get by on a smaller system, I would probably go for a really nice table radio, or something.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  10. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

My limit is ca 60 lbs now, a Marantz 8, MC240, mebbbe Citation 5, numerous monobocks. Smaller tube amps or many solid state amps are do-able. Mac 275 or Citation 2 not so much, larger tube amps a no go.

11. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Who you callin' Old??
    I'm at a 50lb weight limit too...and pay a week long recovery price if I exceed it.
    Call relatives, friends to help - most are glad to - or hire it done; I've used 'movers' (2menandatruck) very well several times (for Corian stock, not speakers).
    I've also tipped beefy repairs guys to help who happened to be on site for other reasons with short truck-to-house moves ...:)

Downsizing? Ack...never.
    With 6 stereo systems in house, I could pick and chose, but don't expect to for years and years....
    BUT...if/when I'm faced with that, I'd pick a pair of LSR305s and a really good player (I snagged a Pono cheap, and it absolutely Rocks with those).
    But, I Do like the idea of a Klipsch wheelchair!!
    That, plus a good selection of virtual reality video games would be a nice way to veg out of this earthly toil :)

12. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

By the time I could afford a smaller "old-timer" system, I'll probably be too decrepit to move my old, larger stuff out. So I'll be stuck with it and likely buried in the grave with it. :D

In the spirit of the thread, however, I'd go with a Conrad-Johnson integrated amp (CAV-45 today), a network streamer/DAC like the Oppo Sonica DAC, a Chromecast Audio for the Internet crap, and maybe keep a turntable (although I'd downsize to a smaller Clearaudio) and phono stage. Won't budge on speakers though. It'll always be a floorstanding system. That is non-negotiable. If I can't get full-range sound, I won't even bother listening. I can hire (or guilt) someone to move them for me. ;)

13. Gibsonian

As was said b4 I believe, why move it? Park the large amps and speaks and leave em be. We'll be old geezers so why would we feel the need to move stuff around? You'd think we'd know where we want stuff by then wouldn't ya?

14. Wildcat

I'm not even old yet, and my system is staying put. :D

I got the feeling, though, we are supposed to consider a downsized system as a mental exercise here. It's fun to think about, even if I never followed through with it. :)

15. guystp

guystp Well-Known Member

I'm 60 yrs old now, and own some pretty hefty equipment. I'm not sure what you guys consider old, but I'm in my prime now. I wouldn't even consider parting with my gear at this stage. I just played my decker down in some mud earlier tonight and picked it back up and went for a ride. You get old when let yourself be old. Selling off your gear because it's heavy makes absolutely no sense in my opinion. Just saying...

16. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I posted these on another thread, 15k system. I can't buy these now but I sold my last set of heavy speakers and now my personal rule is if I can't carry them without straining and struggling they are not for me.
    I'm a bit of a minimalist though so that's just me.

Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento with stands and Levinson 585 integrated.
    Add a TT and I'm good.

I have heard the 585 but not the Memento's but I'm sure they would not disappoint based on what I have read.

If those aren't what you like then perhaps the Magico Minis?

Powered sub can be used with the 585 if desired.

The stands are heavy but not awkward.

(Sorry for the edits)

IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    MarZutra likes this.
  17. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Most people who move into a nursing home move onward (and hopefully upward...) within a year of admission.

Earbuds are much more likely if it comes to that.

18. Wildcat

I want to be buried, sandwiched between two Martin Logan CLS IIs. :D

sqlsavior likes this.
  19. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Down to earth, and well-grounded. :)

20. Wildcat

You got it!

And I want them to be plugged in and energized. So I go into the ground amidst some massive lightning bolts. :D