High sensitive vintage speakers ideally under $500 max up to $1000

Hi,
I am looking for sensitive vintage speakers around 100db on the floor with deep bass (mainly for classic, rock and dance music) for my Elekit TU-8200 SET valve amp (8w per channel).

I was thinking about Wharfedale W90 or E90 but I haven't found any locally so far. I would like to know which other I should be looking for. Thanks

Last edited:
1. Looking new or vintage?
2. US or elsewhere?

New, take a look at Tekton, Lore, The Horn Shoppe (off the top of my head)... semi-DIY, there's Pi Speakers and the Fostex kits available at, e.g., www.madisound.com

Vintage, there are so many (too many to offer a simple blanket recommendation).

That’s not such an easy task. How deep bass are you talking? I’ve had that amp and I really liked it by the way. Often vintage high efficiency speakers don’t go very low, or if they do they are huge or custom made. If you listen to electronic dance music you’d probably really want to go to pretty low at least 30hz and there aren’t so many high efficiency speakers that go that low. Where in Europe are you located?

Well -- Klipsch Heresys, perhaps.
Another thought -- some folks whose opinions I very much respect have led me to reconsider my long-time bias against vintage/classic Sansui loudspeakers. Well, at least one model: SP-2500. Not sure if they're common in Europe, but if so they should be inexpensive and will certainly work with 8 watts.

Well, at least one model: SP-2500. Not sure if they're common in Europe, but if so they should be inexpensive and will certainly work with 8 watts.
SP-3500 also

I like the SP-5000s more than the horn predecessor SP-5500

But I also like to feed these speakers good high power, they can generally handle twice their ratings and really come alive with power.

A pair of IMF SuperCompact II will, in my experience, work well with 8 wpc (or even less); not terribly common anyplace, unfortunately.

That’s not such an easy task. How deep bass are you talking? I’ve had that amp and I really liked it by the way. Often vintage high efficiency speakers don’t go very low, or if they do they are huge or custom made. If you listen to electronic dance music you’d probably really want to go to pretty low at least 30hz and there aren’t so many high efficiency speakers that go that low. Where in Europe are you located?

30Hz would be nice but it's not necessary however I don't really care about how big the speakers are so if there are some really large ones that would be ok :D . I like bass but I don't want the sound to be boomy at the same time and preferably not too much forwardness in the sound (it is a little bit tiring after time for me).

What I would like although is capability to play good even at lower/medium volume level.

Edit: I also looked at the Klipsch Cornwall but they will probably be a little bit outside of the price range :D .

Edit2: Just out of curiosity, what should I be looking for if I'd want the "best" efficient vintage speakers not considering the price limit? (if it is OT I can start new thread).

Last edited:
Kenwood KL777a for loud rock and dance drum snap. I have Wharfedale W70D. Not good for that, to loose.

Klipsch Fortes would fit what you’re looking for I imagine.

My Sony SS-3300’s I’m listening to now go down around 30hz and are 98db efficient, but they’re not exactly the easiest speaker to find in the wild.

The Klipsch speaker line in the 1950’s, and 1960’s are famous for their great sound and efficiency. I remember the sound of the K’Horns on tube amps in the late 1960’s that could not have much more the 15 watts per channel. Don’t forget Rudy Bozaks’ creations of the 1960’s.

The Klipsch speaker line in the 1950’s, and 1960’s are famous for their great sound and efficiency. I remember the sound of the K’Horns on tube amps in the late 1960’s that could not have much more the 15 watts per channel. Don’t forget Rudy Bozaks’ creations of the 1960’s.
Have these models of Heresy, Cornwall or Fortes between 50' and 60' some specific designation? If there is no year in the offering how can I tell it's the right period and not the later production line?

I am from Czech Republic.
Oh my, then you have better access to the Warfedale line that were produced in the UK. A lot of those never made it Stateside I have read about them in the book A Pair of Wharfedales, by David Briggs. You also have the Vintage Bang & Olson speakers.

Have these models of Heresy, Cornwall or Fortes between 50' and 60' some specific designation? If there is no year in the offering how can I tell it's the right period and not the later production line?
This is a very nice reference source.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

My interest from this period is primarily Wharfedale but this database has various audio magazines going back into the early 1950’s. Plus others going back into the 1920’s. You will find ad’s for Klipsch introducing the Klipschorn, The Heresy, etc. The reviews of these marques are very interesting to read.

There was Mention of the Wharfedale W90, in 1965 it was declared the official speaker of The New York Philharmonic Orchestra.

Last edited:
Oh my, then you have better access to the Warfedale line that were produced in the UK. A lot of those never made it Stateside I have read about them in the book A Pair of Wharfedales, by David Briggs. You also have the Vintage Bang & Olson speakers.

Yeah maybe I am just looking at wrong place..tried ebay but there is nothing..don't know if there are some dedicated audio/speakers websites for people who get rid of their used equipment.

Back
Top Bottom