High sensitive vintage speakers ideally under $500 max up to $1000

The sensitivity of Klipsch, and the Wharfedales from the 1960’s will be about the same. The Klipsch are a somewhat simpler design.

W90
2ACCE897-D13D-45C0-A101-4146803D89AF.jpeg

Cornwall I
62A7818B-9A59-43D2-A58E-CFC098F66DFA.jpeg

Heresy I
B84C7506-3FDF-4BEF-AA43-B4FB395E2CC2.jpeg

Kenwood KL777As sell for $100 a pair in the US. If you can't get them for $200 I don't see the point. If you can then you should. Very good for what you want to do. Not earthquake speakers. Great dance speakers. They start roll off at 80K. Very fast sensitive speaker. They need very little amp damping. Getting the drivers and crossovers shipped in and putting them in a bigger box to save cost doesn't work on this one, so that's out. This 15 inch woofer doesn't work in a big box, strange but true.
My Wharfedale W70D seem to need much more power than my Heresy.
My KL777a seem to need the same power as my Heresy.

I have not mentioned them because they are not as efficient, 89%, as most of the speakers mentioned here and that is the Polk Monitor series. I have a pair of Monitor 10B’s they suggest a 20 Watts minimum. The Monitor 10’s have a monster sound. I mean shift the house on its foundation monster sound. You can feel the bass in your lungs power. I am not sure how they would work with the power of a tube amp such as you mention. The nice thing about my 30-year-old 10B’s is Polk still supports them with improved woofers and tweeters.

Listening to ”Life” by the German Artist Schiller, on the 10B’s. The total sound is awesome the bottom is relentless I can feel the bass through my feet, my hands on the desk, see the interference patterns in the cup of coffee in from of me, this is not the thumpa thampa bass you have with vintage Sansui speakers this is taking on a massive church organ and asking for more. It is damn close to earthquake power,

Most muti-driver speakers require a complex passive crossover network that can literally suck the life from a great SET amp. It's why so many folks with SET amps go with full range single driver speakers which do not use crossovers.

http://www.decware.com/paper43.htm

OK I understand but right now the Altecs 604 are really not on the table and I assume that full range solution with deep bass would be in other price range.

Right now I've found the Wharf E90 for $900. It is quite a lot but it seems in good condition. Do you think the 8wpc woundn't be enough because of crossover? Also they will probably won't ship it so I would have to drive for them like 1200 miles..detail :D

I have not mentioned them because they are not as efficient, 89%, as most of the speakers mentioned here and that is the Polk Monitor series. I have a pair of Monitor 10B’s they suggest a 20 Watts minimum. The Monitor 10’s have a monster sound. I mean shift the house on its foundation monster sound. You can feel the bass in your lungs power. I am not sure how they would work with the power of a tube amp such as you mention. The nice thing about my 30-year-old 10B’s is Polk still supports them with improved woofers and tweeters.

Listening to ”Life” by the German Artist Schiller, on the 10B’s. The total sound is awesome the bottom is relentless I can feel the bass through my feet, my hands on the desk, see the interference patterns in the cup of coffee in from of me, this is not the thumpa thampa bass you have with vintage Sansui speakers this is taking on a massive church organ and asking for more.

I don't know most of the people I was talking to was recommending min. 95 or better 97-98db.

E90. Wow, long drive. Don't know about the price. Have you considered a simple Dynaco A25? Very good speaker. Easy to get and ship. Then wait and see what shows up later.

E90. Wow, long drive. Don't know about the price. Have you considered a simple Dynaco A25? Very good speaker. Easy to get and ship. Then wait and see what shows up later.

I was checking them but I am a little bit concerned about the bass at Dynaco A25, I would rather buy some bigger closets, but I will probable have to wait for some other and nearer offer.

Edit: What about Tannoy Gold Monitor speakers for $1200 in decent condition?

Last edited:
A suggestion. The sound of my W45’s is sparkling clear. Their power requirements are 10 to 45 watts. They don’t, however, have the bottom of a speaker like my 10B’s. Add a powered subwoofer and you are home free. The W45 in their day were considered bookshelf speakers, they are considered a little large for that today. All powered subwoofers have analog inputs and variable crossover circuitry that strips off frequencies from about 180 Hz down. You set the crossover point. With the W45’s I would start with 80 Hz and start down but no lower the 60Hz. Your tube amp feeds what ever efficient speakers you pick and the powered subwoofer fills in the rest.

Last edited:
A suggestion. The sound of my W45’s is sparkling clear. Their power requirements are 10 to 45 watts. They don’t, however, have the bottom of a speaker like my 10B’s. Add a powered subwoofer and you are home free. The W45 in their day were considered bookshelf speakers, they are considered a little large for that today. All powered subwoofers have analog inputs and variable crossover circuitry that strips off frequencies from about 180 Hz down. You set the crossover point. With the W45’s I would start with 80 Hz and start down but no lower the 60Hz. Your tube amp feeds what ever efficient speakers you pick and the powered subwoofer fills in the rest.

I would rather go with just two speakers for everything if it is possible (even if I wanted to try this solution I have only analog outputs for two speakers).

I was checking them but I am a little bit concerned about the bass at Dynaco A25, I would rather buy some bigger closets, but I will probable have to wait for some other and nearer offer.

Edit: What about Tannoy Gold Monitor speakers for $1200 in decent condition?
The Dynacos do not lack bass. Get any premium condition pair of Dynaco ( models 25, 35, 40, 50) for $200 if you can and listen to good music while you get educated for the big speakers. There is a reason over a million were sold world wide.
Yes, check out the Gold Monitors. I don't know about the price.
Do you have someone to build cabinets from plans? The Electro-Voice Sp12b 12 inch full range speakers are easy and cheap to get. They work very well in many large Electro-Voice kit cabinets. It's not necessary to have the super pricey hard to get top dog drivers to hit your goal.

I would rather go with just two speakers for everything if it is possible (even if I wanted to try this solution I have only analog outputs for two speakers).

Here is a photo of a Dayton plate amp for a subwoofer. Note the High-Level inputs. You run the speaker cables from your audio amp to these connections 8 watts, 100 watts input it doesn't matter. The crossover inside sends the frequencies you set to your satellite speakers. Note the FREQ.control here on this plate amp you set the crossover from 180Hz down to 60 Hz. There is some insertion loss but not much and you make up for it with the satellite speakers working better.

B45E52B0-8CB4-4064-A6B7-93268BCFF30F.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a photo of a Dayton plate amp for a subwoofer. Note the High-Level inputs. You run the speaker cables from your audio amp to these connections 8 watts, 100 watts input it doesn't matter. The crossover inside sends the frequencies you set to your satellite speakers. Note the FREQ.control here on this plate amp you set the crossover from 180Hz down to 60 Hz. There is some insertion loss but not much and you make up for it with the satellite speakers working better.

View attachment 1333838
OK I get it know...thank you for the picture :D

I wouldn´t spend €800 to €1000 on old speakers that I have never heard, just based on someone´s recommendation.

Be careful!

edit: And for the type of music you listen to, a little more power wouldn´t hurt. Solid State wattage is cheap :)

OK I understand but right now the Altecs 604 are really not on the table and I assume that full range solution with deep bass would be in other price range.

Right now I've found the Wharf E90 for $900. It is quite a lot but it seems in good condition. Do you think the 8wpc woundn't be enough because of crossover? Also they will probably won't ship it so I would have to drive for them like 1200 miles..detail :D

Forget the Whafs if you're willing to spend that much you need to buy the Zu Omens. They are highly efficient and will wake up the dead with 8 watts. I drove mine with a 3.5 watt SET amp pictured here. There are entire threads devoted to these speakers on AK. They work great with SET amps as the super tweeter crossover is very simple ( first order ) and doesn't get in the way of the sound. This is one big ballsy speaker with great bass that plays rock and acoustic jazz equally well.

P6030043.jpg

I wouldn´t spend €800 to €1000 on old speakers that I have never heard, just based on someone´s recommendation.

Be careful!

And for the type of music you listen to, a little more power wouldn´t hurt. Solid State wattage is cheap :)
Excellent, advice! I know the most about AR, Polk Audio, and Wharfedale. When you know such speakers you can look at a hi-rez photo and tell a lot about it physical condition. You also know the value, and what is needed to refurbish it. Honestly if I was going to spend €1000 for a pair of speakers I would go for something new. Modern Wharfedale’s are very good. Check out the Diamond series. I am personally looking at getting a pair of Diamond 225’s.

Back
Top Bottom