High temperature adhesive for desoldering pump repair

Zekeman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
greetings!

I have a Hakko FR-300 desoldering pump and two of the heating element leads detached from the heating element. They used some kind of high temp adhesive to attach them in the factory. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive I can get at an auto parts or hardware store?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

4756A6F4-B231-470A-A70E-A7725B5F8D4E.jpeg

Seems like the highest temp solder you can find would be a great choice here. You not only are looking for a heat resistant adhesive, but conductive as well. The only thing I think you are likely to find works well is a high temp solder. That part should not get nearly as hot as the tip.

or spot welded. (if that's all orig. pic? crap engineering imo. and wonder why it failed?))

Yep. That’s the real situation.

I contacted Hakko-90 day warranty...that’s it!

replacement parts avail? or genius modification with another typical new stuff possible?

Well I ordered some high-temp solder and I’m going to give that a shot. I’ll report back when I’m at that point.

Perhaps 'make' a mini spot welder with some copper nails, some blocks of wood, a bench vise and some big caps/low voltage transformer and spot it back on?

Actually, what about a local power tool battery pack re-stuffer near you? They usually have the gear to spot tags onto batteries.

I wouldn't bother with solder, even high temp, it will not hold IMO.

I had this happen on a Hakko knockoff iron once. I fixed it with plain old Kester 44 and it worked fine for another year until the controller failed.

when the only thing you have access to for fixing your soldering iron at 9 pm on a Saturday is a 30w pencil borrowed from work, you use plebeian solders.

My 808 burned out the heater a few weeks ago so I gave up and bought the part. It was more expensive too, probably because its an obsolete model. I gave some thought to upgrading to the current model but it was less than half the cost to fix mine vs buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom