HK Citation 16A DC offset question and diagnosis

Bigears

Manager of my own day
A few weeks ago I picked up a HK Citation 16A with a blown output fuse and a dead channel, well aware of the common issues with these amps. I’ve heard how nice these can sound when restored, so I set upon fixing mine and then making the usual upgrades after I got it up and running.

This one had vented a 10,000 uF filter cap on the bad channel which was responsible for the fuse blowing

I ended up replacing all the electrolytic caps as a preliminary service before diving in deeper. I know these run hot and I wanted good heat conductivity on the T03’s, so I cleaned and reseated the outputs

Amp runs fine now, pulls out of protection in 5 seconds and the heat sinks run about 50c at 50 mV, normal operation from what I can tell.

Only remaining issue is high DC on the right channel, even with the adjustment VR turned full, I can’t get the right channel under 85 mV DC. The left side zero’s out fine.

To diagnose the R channel DC, I’ve done the following:

Swapped VR1 from right to left boards to make certain it’s not a bad adjustment pot. This changed nothing. I will change these to 10 turn Bourns once I resolve this last issue.

Measured right driver board zeners:

CR3 10.06 vdc
CR4 10.08 vdc

At this point I’m thinking driver stage transistors have drifted, but I’m not familiar with the symmetrical complementary pair setup on this amp and would rather replace the correct driver transistors rather than doing a shotgun repair.

I’m thinking perhaps it’s Q1, which is the dual complementary pair, but I have no experience with these. Or is it the push pull pair, Q15 and Q17?

I know we have a few knowledgeable AK’ers with lots of experience on these amps, any/all help appreciated.

Last edited:
Following the link provided by Avionic :thmbsp:, and having a few Zetex ZTX694B's on hand, I followed EW's suggestion of running a pair of ZTX694B to replace Q1's mono dual NPN driver .

Happy to report this worked excellent.:banana: Right channel DC is stable at 2 mV and amp sounds great.

Last edited:
This post does have age, but I run into the same issue, DC offset cannot be adjusted down to milivolts, I get 0,65V and other channel is fine at 30mV.
The trouble channel bias fine. Replaced VR1 and VR2 trimpots with 15T Bourns ones.
I did swap left and right channel pc boards and issue is following the trouble pc board.
I do have coming soon I hope 2N2916 dual transistors Q1
The DC voltages on Q1 A and B are very close.
I did replace all electrolytic on board and ceramics caps too.
Zeners, 10V and 5,1V will be replaced too but their voltages are stable
3,9Kohms power resistors are replaced too with 3 watts ones, all other resistors measures within specs.
Will report back once I finish and parts.
Thanks.

Hello again, got my 2N2916 supposedly from HK ebay..... 5 items. Looks new devices. Tests fine on transistor checker.
Installed Q1 with new one, same issue.
Q1 volts;
C=7,6v
B=-0,23v
E= -0,9v

Dual Q1 voltages are the same on both NPN transistors. Case is 0v from ground.
All ceramics caps replaced.
C1 and C5 are new caps.
CR5-6 are new zeners
all resistors to spec
No components overheats.
CR1-2 at 9,4v for 65v VCC
did check all 1N914 diodes, OK with diode test on DMM. Thinking of replacing them all.?
Any ideas where to look at??
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom