HK Thirty's to Replace Tannoy HPD-295a?

insanebuslad

Hey guys,

Quick question here. I currently have Tannoy HPD-295a loudspeakers (basically 10" version of the Monitor Gold Series) paired to my Adcom GFA/GFP power/pre amp. I live in a tiny rowhome with a 12x16ish living room so I'm looking for something a little smaller to replace my Tannoys with. I also think that a more modern speaker would pair better with my Adcom setup, especially since I listen to mostly lossless and CDs.

I've been intrigued by Harman Kardon Model Thirty speakers and may have a line on a pair. Anyone have experience running these or the Twenty or Forty variants? I've heard they use awesome components and cabinets and sound better than some entry offerings from Kef/Advent/etc? Am I being stupid by replacing my prized Tannoys with something much more "pedestrian"?

Stupid is probably a harsh way to maybe say...curious :). If you like the Tannoy's just make sure you don't fall into buyer's regret, or I should say "I sold my Tannoy's for something I've never heard and now I'm sorry!" regret. All the best reviews and accolades can't predict what you will prefer or how those same speakers will sound in your own room. I have no idea of either's pedigree to know if they're in the same league. Is it possible to get the HK's and listen, then make a decision which to keep? Again, what your contemplating isn't "stupid" as long as you don't sacrifice "prized" speakers for a disappointment with no way back.

Decisions, decisions...I hate them, especially in deciding between speakers I like. I also have 9 pairs of speakers over here!

Tannoys need to stay. HPD series are superb loudspeakers, and replacing them at reasonable prices is a thing of the past. The HK Thirty is nowhere near the Tannoys in performance. Keep the Tannoys, get rid of them, you'll regret it.

Back
Top Bottom