Hoffman console?

gadget73

junk junkie
Subscriber
Hoffman console -- got it, score!

Anyone ever hear of a Hoffman stereo console? I found one on CL, and I'm trying to set up a tomorrow inspection and possible purchase. Looks like one of those two piece jobbers from the late 50s. It sports a Garrard 121 changer as well, which I believe is late 50s. Are they any good, or are they garbage in a pretty box?

Last edited:
I have seen them, I wouldn't go after it unless it was free or really cheap or a custom job. Hoffman was just a little company that tried to hit it big in the era of radio's. They pretty much died out. Hoffman also made TV sets. There are a few desirable hoffman radios but most aren't desirable at all. I would look at the console but if its over 20$ don't take it.

Some links
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-HOFFMAN.htm
http://www.hoffmanvideo.com/aboutus.asp

Yes. I have a Macy's ad for a Hoffman console from 1947. "This is the same Hoffman radio-console that's so famous in California . . ." is how the ad copy begins. They never say why they're so famous, though. Apparently the company still exists (sort of):

http://www.hoffmanvideo.com/aboutus.asp

Sounds like an interesting company - I'd be curious to know more about their consoles.

This isn't a TV though, it looks to be just a tuner and turntable. I'll take a ride up and have a gander at it tomorrow. Each piece is listed seperately for 50 bucks. I'll try to explain that its a single two piece unit to get a better price on it, assuming its even worth the time. I like consoles, but I lack room. I'd keep this one intact though, it looks too nice based on pictures to scrap out.

If nothing else, its an excuse to go take a ride on a nice day. Unfortunately the GPS is in my other car, 100 miles away with a blown brake line. Oh well.

The Radio Museum website lists several Hoffman consoles from 1959 which is a plausible year for one of the early stereo "two-box" style consoles. (Model #s B8001, B8005-B8010) Some are listed as 2 chassis units. There are pictures of some of the models as well. The price seems a little high to me but I have no idea of the quality or condition of this console. Definitely worth a little jaunt. Don't forget your camera in case you decide against - you'll surely want to post some photos so we can rib you if passed up a gem.

Incidentally, on that Hoffman Video Co. website, in their company history, it states that their predecessor company, Hoffman Radio, made the solar cells that went up on the Vanguard satellite. It seem probable to me that they were perhaps a little too diversified to have focused on making a quality console.

Looks like this will be tomorrow. The lady had a family emergency today. I'll be halfway there tomorrow anyway, though I was planning on taking my car for that trip. Oh well, the truck runs fine too.

Well I bought it. Decent shape, has 3 AlNiCo speakers per channel, and each cabinet has an integrated EL84 pp chrome chassis amp that I could easily run standalone if I wanted. Looks like its got all original tubes and dust. Mono FM, Garrard 121 changer. The main console is sort of interesting, it has "floating stereophonic sound". The speakers are in a sealed enclosure that is spring mounted behind the grille. I don't quite know wth thats all about, but I'll find out when I get it off the truck. Just popped in here to get a beverage before I start making room for this baby. Pics to follow when I get it off the truck.

Got the main console open. Mullard EL84, Telefunken EZ81, Amprex ECC83 and EF86 on the amp chassis. Didn't note anything remarkable on the tuner, but I haven't dusted them off either. The Mullards may be a bit beat though, I see a lot of dark brown around the various holes in the plates. Looks like this thing may have been one of those underrated consoles. Schematic is handily tacked inside the cabinet for both the tuner and the amp as well. Iron looks pretty decent, definitely larger than the Magnavox 9300 amps and with bell caps to boot.

Whenever I can figure out how to get the blasted pics off my junky phone, I'll put them up.

Further review, main amp has one Mullard EL84, and one Hoffman branded Amprex EL84. Remote has both Hoffman Amprex El84. Speaker code lists as 465-843, and a little looking tells me Altec/Lansing owns that code. This thing is turning out to be quite a nice little find. Main amp is kind of dysfunctional. I got some sound out of it, but very weak and very tinny. I'll replace the wax caps and try again. Currently bringing the aux amp up slow to see what we get.

Someone had this thing rigged to use just the speakers on something else. The original speaker plugs are missing, and both boxes had the speaker wires spliced into thin 22ga junk that must have gone to a newer stereo. Finding the plugs may be interesting. Its an odd 5 pin connector.

Got the main console open. Mullard EL84, Telefunken EZ81, Amprex ECC83 and EF86 on the amp chassis. Didn't note anything remarkable on the tuner, but I haven't dusted them off either. The Mullards may be a bit beat though, I see a lot of dark brown around the various holes in the plates.

Early mullards had that dark brown syrupy gettering around the holes in the plates. They look worn, but in fact that was factory. They may test new. It certainly isn't a sign of hard wear. I'd say thats a pretty good score for $50, can't wait to see the CHROME!

Actually its not chrome, it was just so shiny I thought it was. Its simply clean shiny steel chassis, which is still better than I was expecting. Usually these things are all brown and corroded looking.

After some cleaning, the dark spots on the Mullard are actually what look to be wire insulation melted to the bottle. I think they got the wire routing inside screwed up when the amp was out for service, and something laid across it. The way this thing is put together is a little ignorant. To get at the main console amp, you pull the speakers out, slide the tuner down and out, then you can get at the main amp. I've never seen a console packed quite this tight before, but I've also never run across a console with a sealed back speaker unit that sat on springs inside the cabinet.

My phone is apparently a bigger piece of junk than I thought. I have no means to get pictures from it to my computer, so I'll charge up the batteries on the digital cam and try again. I'll also get pics of the speaker plug. Its a 4 pin jobber actually, not a 5 pin.

Pics as promised days ago lol

The amps, the tuner, and the main cabinet's speaker assembly on the bench. Speaker system is self-contained with a sealed back and the two visible ports on the sides. It sits on top of a couple of springs inside the main cabinet, and simply pulls out.

components.JPG

Rest of the pics are here: http://lunar.gadget73.com/images/radio_stuff/Hoffman/

sorry for the big image. I can't figure out how to work gImp and the nice simple program I used to use for this broke.

In GIMP once the picture is loaded go to the image menu of the window that contains the picture. Select "Scale Image". Change the width to 1000 pixels or less. Default mode should automatically preserve aspect ratio. Use "save as" to save as a new file.

mike

Thanks!

The outputs. The one on the left and the one in the center are marked Hoffman, by Amprex. The Mullard was paired with the English made Amprex. Looks to me that the English "Amprex" may be a Mullard in disguise. The fourth, not pictured, is another German made Hoffman/Amprex tube.

output_tubes.JPG

One of the amps. The "frequency scope" thing is sort of cool. The ribbon is fixed in the center under the logo, and each end is pulled up and down by a tuning string arrangement around the bass and treble controls.
amp_closeup.JPG

Cabinets. Not quite perfect, but they're very decent and responded well to a treatment of Restore-A-Finish.
cabinets.JPG

Speakers inside the aux cabinet. Yes, thats an amp schematic glued to the side.
aux_speakers.JPG

The response curve dials on the amps, while probably not all that meaningful, are certainly neat looking. I've never seen anything like that. Neat little (big?) score!

That frequency display stuff on the amps is surely interesting. Looks like some quality pieces of gear there...nice score.

Resurrecting this thread,because of an $8.00 console I scored yesterday,but am having problem with a neighbor who agreed to pick it up for me.I have no car,and it's a four speaker,counting the radio,behemoth.

Hoffman made a lot of great looking TVs and radios in the late 40s,and 50s.Get a load of the Bel Air here,however most of what they sold,was simply rebranded as Airline for Montgomery Ward's.

Yesterday,I was at my local Goodwill Clearance Center,and I scored this gorgeous Wards/Hoffman console.It's sort of similar to the one in this thread,but a bit more deluxe in the styling.1959 would be a very good guess for the year.It has a Voice of Music changer, with a little brush in front of the tone arm.It is one of those consoles with two extra speakers on the side.The amp has either ten or eleven tubes.It works like new.I pulled out a Montgomery Ward service order,from April,1965.Like all "entertainment centers",it was $8.00.The only problem is,some fool covered it in old whitewash paint.

I hope I can post pictures,but my chihuahua carried off the charger for my camera.:nono:

Cool. If your amps are the same type as mine, I think you'll be very happy with it. Mine has a Garrard RC-121 in it rather than the VM. Maybe it was different by model, or because yours is a Wards branded unit. I've never seen or heard much about Hoffman but just based on my console, they seem to be reasonably well built.

Hoffman Stereo Console 8002A

Hi everyone Have a chance to get a Hoffman Console, any thoughts on this unit. Its model 8002A, additional powered speaker, some issues according to owner. Never heard of this manufacturer, until i read the posts. Wants 175 plus 80 for speaker, which I think is rather high considering I payed 45 for my Magnavox concert grand.

Back
Top Bottom