Home recording packages

scoloheros

Is there already a thread about this? I looked but maybe I didn't type in the best I could to find it. I just bought this today(pic). I've only put one song together, all I did at the time was plug my guitar in the back of my computer using an adapter and worked with free Audacity software. Quality was "OK" but now I've got this song in my head, I've got something like 70% of it pictured/worked out in my head. I want to work with something better so I bought this Focusrite. I have no experiencing mixing other than with that one song but when only using Audacity, the few people that heard what I put together seemed surprised, much of it had to do with sound effects, they don't know the simple tools are out there. So I'm looking forward to messing around with this, it may take a while to learn the software. Is there a thread where people here that have their own songs can post? Once I get on this and finish it, I want to see what y'all think, yeah I'm from Texas.
ZHh2yCA.jpg

Last edited:
Reaper is a great DAW, and plays well with audacity.
I haven't seen such a forum yet, but I imagine it would get a fair amount of traffic.

Reaper is a great DAW, and plays well with audacity.
I haven't seen such a forum yet, but I imagine it would get a fair amount of traffic.

OK I found the Reaper download, it's free? So you can use that software with the Audacity software? It's going to take some time to learn how all this works.

OK I found the Reaper download, it's free? So you can use that software with the Audacity software? It's going to take some time to learn how all this works.
Yes, it's free.
Even after the trial you can continue to use it, but in all fairness, if you like it, a lifetime license isn't all that expensive.
I also happen to know the developers spend a great deal of time keeping it up to speed, upgrading, and improving it.
A license purchase helps keep them at work.
There's a bit of a learning curve, and there's so many things you can do with it.
There's also the reaper forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Lots of info and help.
Many there also use the focusrite products.

Yes, it's free.
Even after the trial you can continue to use it, but in all fairness, if you like it, a lifetime license isn't all that expensive.
I also happen to know the developers spend a great deal of time keeping it up to speed, upgrading, and improving it.
A license purchase helps keep them at work.
There's a bit of a learning curve, and there's so many things you can do with it.
There's also the reaper forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Lots of info and help.
Many there also use the focusrite products.

I'm definitely going to need more info so I'm prob going to sign up to that forum you mentioned and maybe one or two others. I'm already getting frustrated with it. I finally got sound out of the right channel, which is what this model is designed to do, the left channel is the mic. When I bought it I was under the impression both right and left channels would be fed the same source, in my case, my guitar but no, I was wrong. So I need to copy what I record to the right channel, to the left channel but I haven't figured out how to do that so that I can start manipulating a stereo perspective. I also have to unplug the interface USB to get sound from sites like Youtube, I have a setting or two wrong I'm sure but I don't know where they are. So I can't record to the left channel with this model?, other than the mic input?, anybody know? I assume I can record anything to the right channel and copy it to the left using Audacity or Reaper. I haven't figured this out yet, it's always easier than it seems at first though. I'll take a look at it later.

For starters, it appears you have a single input interface.
They do make multiple channel interfaces.
In order to do what it is you want to do, you'll have to set up a track in a DAW, make your recording, then set up another track to record while you play back the first track, then do your singing, lead or whatever while it plays back.
That's what multi-track recording is all about.

if you get a multichannel interface, you can record more things at the same time, and assign each input to a different track if you want, or altogether.
There is much for you to learn.
Don't get discouraged though, all the answers are out there.

It took a little looking, but I remember I found a pdf download manual for reaper somewhere. I think at the time it was like 300 pages.
I printed it.
Yes. Do join the chatboard.
Good folks. Good info source for recording.

It's a 2 channel interface but one channel is for the mic. There is a special plug for the mic, three prong, you can see it in the picture on the box and the other is a conventional cord jack. I thought I could get mono from the one jack into both speakers but it only goes to the right, I saw a youtube channel stating it was designed that way. But with copy/paste, I'm sure I can copy the right channel recording into the left also using Audacity and/or Reaper. I remember doing that now a long time ago. I remember copying and pasting over other recordings too(dub). I've got to figure it out but take a break like louisjames said and go to some other forums for more info.

In your DAW, you can assign any track to go to either channel or both.
The DAW doesn't care where an input comes from, just where you assign it to, or pan the channel to.

Edit: Another thing. I do my recording in reaper, and have used audacity when I want to pull a track out for a minute to make an adjustment that's quicker and easier there than reaper, although I can't remember what those were.
But things will be much simpler if you kinda forget about audacity, and just use a DAW.
For the most part, most DAWs kinda, almost, work the same, so once you understand one, you'll be able to navigate around some of the others.

But you'll find a DAW is a lot more effective and powerful than Audacity, so I'd suggest beginning your recording experience and learning, where you're going to end up eventually anyway.

Last edited:
In your DAW, you can assign any track to go to either channel or both.
The DAW doesn't care where an input comes from, just where you assign it to, or pan the channel to.

Awesome!, that's good to know, I didn't even know what DAW meant until today so you see where I'm coming from. 2:25am here so going to bed now but that's normal for me. I'm looking forward to messing around with it.

I left the door to the washing machine open with wet clothes in it so, up a few more minutes. I was wondering why people would want to use Audacity "with" Reaper, don't they basically do the same thing?

Last edited:
You don't need any other software than what Focusrite included with the package,
Your interface came with the DAW ProTools First and Abelton Live Light for controlling Virtual Instruments.

Just learn to use the included software from the manufacture and you will be good to go.
The version of PT that was included with your interface already has default presets for what you are using...
To start you send the recorded mono tracks 1 vocal mic & track 2 the guitar to a Master stereo fader.
When you start to mix If you add a stereo plug in like say stereo reverb or delay to a mono track PT will automatically turn that track into stereo.

There is a learning curve so 1st read the manual & then join the online forum AVID DUC for ProTools 1st. Plenty of people there to help you with any issues or questions.
.....All I can do is point you to the road...But you have to walk down it.

Here are some links to get you started.... all of the answers you seek you will find there..

Freq asked questions....
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389698

ProTools 1st discussion threads
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Have fun!
PQ

Last edited:
You don't need any other software than what Focusrite included with the package,
Your interface came with the DAW ProTools First and Abelton Live Light for controlling Virtual Instruments.

Just learn to use the included software from the manafacture and you will be good to go.
To start you send the recorded mono tracks to a Master stereo fader.
If you add a stereo plug in like say stereo reverb or delay to a mono track PT will automatically turn that track into stereo.

There is a learning curve so 1st read the manual & then join the online forum AVID DUC for ProTools 1st. Plenty of people there to help you with any issues or questions.
.....All I can do is point you to the road...But you have to walk down it.

Here are some links to get you started.... all of the answers you seek you will find there..

Freq asked questions....
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389698

ProTools 1st discussion threads
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Have fun!
PQ
Wow.
When I bought my focusrite scarlett 2i2 it only came with ableton, which gave me a massive headache.
If I had known that the OP's pkg came with protools, I wouldn't have even mentioned reaper.

Wow.
When I bought my focusrite scarlett 2i2 it only came with ableton, which gave me a massive headache.
If I had known that the OP's pkg came with protools, I wouldn't have even mentioned reaper.

Yep Focusrite and Avid have made this starter pack just about as easy to learn as possible.
It really is designed for 1st time users right out of the gate...they want folks to not get discouraged and use the products. It's pretty limited and that a good thing for beginners. The marketing is make it easy and as folks learn more and are ready to move past the basics they will upgrade in the future.

Cheers
PQ

This didn't come with a manual or software in the box(the box looks like it's never been opened since from the wholesaler). On the inside of the box, it says I have to go to the Focusrite website and type in a code to get the instructions and software. That's printed underneath the box "lid" so I'll do that later today, thanks for the info and help.

You bet!
Nobody includes actual physical software anymore. Nowadays everything is a download with a authorization code.
Thats a great beginners package that has everything you need to start making music.
The most important thing is to follow the instructions carefully and don't try to skip steps.
Each new thing builds on the previous.

Any questions keep to either Focusrite's or Avids user forums...That way you won't get conflicting info.

Have fun!

PQ

I understand not packaging physical software in packages, it might save them money and maybe saving some pirating risks but to me it wasn't a very consumer friendly move. I created an account at Focusrite to register and now says it doesn't recognize my email address. I had to send a note to try and fix that. I shouldn't complain though, imagine what somebody like me had to do 35 years ago, ....cassette deck, cheap microphone and press "record" haha.

I understand not packaging physical software in packages, it might save them money and maybe saving some pirating risks but to me it wasn't a very consumer friendly move. I created an account at Focusrite to register and now says it doesn't recognize my email address. I had to send a note to try and fix that. I shouldn't complain though, imagine what somebody like me had to do 35 years ago, ....cassette deck, cheap microphone and press "record" haha.

The not packaging of printed owners manuals and physical software is a fairly recent thing but it's been comping for years..
It saves money and is better for the environment. Saves trees and nothing to end up in the land fill.
I remember buying a copy of ProTools 10 (I think) it was in a big box and when I opened it nothing but a ilock and an authorization code. I felt pretty ripped off at 1st, but now I am used to it. My 2012 Mac doesn't have a optical drive and my wife just bought a new Mac Book Air it only has 2 thunderbolt 3 ports (USB -C compatible) not even 1 regular USB port...Totally crazy in my book...What are you going to do things change.

Don't get hung up in the past. Once you get your system working learn & your way around PT you are going to love it!
If you have any major problems you can't figure out send me a PM if necessary you can call me on the phone I will walk you thru it!
Cheers
PQ

I don't know what went wrong with the log-on, it's just not happening until I hear from Focusrite. I don't like the "verify you're not a robot" hoops either. It's a good idea but there's been too many times where it says, "click the boxes that have part of a traffic light in them." or some other thing. You look at it and see that 'maybe' a corner or and edge barely goes over the lines of a box. "Am I expected to click those boxes?" Some would, some wouldn't, fuzzy images bleeding over a line. What else can I complain about,...hmm, I'll find something. I'm going to print out the manual and save the software to CD once I have access haha, not really. Thanks for the offer to ask questions via PM! Yeah I'll get it going sooner or later.

I don't know what went wrong with the log-on, it's just not happening until I hear from Focusrite. I don't like the "verify you're not a robot" hoops either. It's a good idea but there's been too many times where it says, "click the boxes that have part of a traffic light in them." or some other thing. You look at it and see that 'maybe' a corner or and edge barely goes over the lines of a box. "Am I expected to click those boxes?" Some would, some wouldn't, fuzzy images bleeding over a line. What else can I complain about,...hmm, I'll find something. I'm going to print out the manual and save the software to CD once I have access haha, not really. Thanks for the offer to ask questions via PM! Yeah I'll get it going sooner or later.

Sometime the digital world can get down right frustrating and over whelming...it still happens to from time to time!
When it does my best advise is to just call it a day or night or what ever and walk away and take a break.
It's amazing what later becomes a "Oh that wasn't too difficult after all now that I am not so frustrated and p*ssed off that I can't see straight" ....Been there more than once! LOL!

Trust me Focusrite wants you happy and enjoying their product...you purchased the starter bundle and they have so much more they would love to sell you.
So take a break... Send Focusrite support an "I am at my wits end HELP!!! email and hopefully you will get some tech support from a human being soon.

Hang in there it's all part of the joyful digital learning curve. Its like most things one has to learn from the start, tough in the beginning but then you have the "Oh now I get it " moment and things get easier from then on!
Cheers
PQ

I was just thinking(I know, I can't believe it either!), there really isn't much to the physical unit that came in the box, isn't it just a high quality adapter? I'm guessing the bulk of the $200+ is for the software people have access to, is that it?

I was just thinking(I know, I can't believe it either!), there really isn't much to the physical unit that came in the box, isn't it just a high quality adapter? I'm guessing the bulk of the $200+ is for the software people have access to, is that it?

In that small simple box there is a microphone preamp, line level preamp, headphone preamp, 2 analog line output stages ,analog to digital converter (recording), digital to analog converter (Playback) and digital clock to sync sessions ....Way more than an adapter.
Don't forget there is also a lot R&D ,engineering expenses...
If that $200 also included the microphone,XLR cable ,headphones and DAW & VI software...
I think thats a pretty good value.

Cheers
PQ

Back
Top Bottom