Home Stereo System in movie American Psycho?!

benbcool7

How's it goin guys? I don't post much, i'm mostly just a lurker.

I, like most everybody else on here, love vintage stereo equipment.
That being said, after watching the movie American Psycho for the nth time, I noticed that Christian Bale's character has a pretty badass stereo system. I was able to pick out what kind of speakers he has (I think they are some nice old floorstanding KEF's).

As far as the actual receivers and other pieces, I have no idea, but would love to find out what they are? It looks like a pretty clean setup. Anyone know what these components are?

bale1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI

The CD player looks like a Pioneer or Marantz, perhaps a few years ahead of the time period in the movie.

I wonder what would happen if his character had to clean those push button switches on the HK gear? I'm guessing it wouldn't be pretty.:D

Not really, it's obviously HK which has already been pointed out. Question answered, as it was before.

Sure thats whats in the MOVIE, when I finally got the courage to read the BOOK..... in there he has a (get this) SANSUI!!!!!

Yeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Patrick has exceptional taste.

How's it goin guys? I don't post much, i'm mostly just a lurker.

I, like most everybody else on here, love vintage stereo equipment.
That being said, after watching the movie American Psycho for the nth time, I noticed that Christian Bale's character has a pretty badass stereo system. I was able to pick out what kind of speakers he has (I think they are some nice old floorstanding KEF's).

As far as the actual receivers and other pieces, I have no idea, but would love to find out what they are? It looks like a pretty clean setup. Anyone know what these components are?

bale1.gif

From the book: „On the other side of the room, next to a
desk and a magazine rack by Gio Ponti, is a complete stereo system
(CD player, tape deck, tuner, amplifier) by Sansui with six-foot
Duntech Sovereign 2001 speakers in Brazilian rosewood.”

Last edited:
From the book: „On the other side of the room, next to a
desk and a magazine rack by Gio Ponti, is a complete stereo system
(CD player, tape deck, tuner, amplifier) by Sansui with six-foot
Duntech Sovereign 2001 speakers in Brazilian rosewood.”
This is most defiantly wrong. Duntech Sovereign 2001 look nothing like these. Do a search. I agree the speakers more look like KEF 104/2s except they seem to have 3 midrange drivers, instead of 2 flanking the dome tweeter, so I'm at a loss.

This is most defiantly wrong. Duntech Sovereign 2001 look nothing like these. Do a search. I agree the speakers more look like KEF 104/2s except they seem to have 3 midrange drivers, instead of 2 flanking the dome tweeter, so I'm at a loss.
He's not wrong. If you read his post you'd see that this is the setup from the book.

He's not wrong. If you read his post you'd see that this is the setup from the book.
They aren't Kef 104's they are Kef 105/3's. I bought them when I was living in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1992, and when I returned to Toronto in 1998 they got damaged en route. I sent them to a local speaker company called Sound Design to be repaired where they were seen by the American Psycho set designers. I was offered $600 a week to lend them for the film and I accepted. Today they are still with me and back in South America at my summer home in Uruguay.

I sometimes wonder how many record/cd sales were generated for Huey Lewis by that film alone. I know, off topic. Sorry but sometimes it's hip to be square. ;)

They aren't Kef 104's they are Kef 105/3's. I bought them when I was living in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1992, and when I returned to Toronto in 1998 they got damaged en route. I sent them to a local speaker company called Sound Design to be repaired where they were seen by the American Psycho set designers. I was offered $600 a week to lend them for the film and I accepted. Today they are still with me and back in South America at my summer home in Uruguay.
How cool is that?!?

Back
Top Bottom