Horn gaskets and washers

loudnoises

Escalates Quickly
Subscriber
My google fu is failing.

I need to mount my screw-on EV1823m drivers to the adapter, and then the adapter to the 511 horn.

When i took the 1823/8hd combos apart,one of them had a non-metal gasket/washer at the end of the threads on the mounting face, the other did not.

What should i use to replace this with? Are they an available item i'm failing to find or?

And is there specific benefit to premade gaskets for the 511 or can i make my own?

Was it one of the red fiber type? You can make your own, the biggest thing to watch for is to make sure you have a smooth transition from driver to horn. Gasket should not hang into the pathway or should it leave voids along the way. A fairly hard rubber would probably work fine.

BillWojo

I was thinking gasket paper from the auto parts store. In a pinch I've even used cereal boxes for gaskets. The thickness may be somewhat critical though, so matching it to what you have would probably be a good idea.

Was it one of the red fiber type? You can make your own, the biggest thing to watch for is to make sure you have a smooth transition from driver to horn. Gasket should not hang into the pathway or should it leave voids along the way. A fairly hard rubber would probably work fine.

BillWojo

I think it was red... soaked it pretty good with 3in1 trying to loosen the driver. to be clear this is a flexible washer about 1 1/4" od and 13/16 id. I had some leftover fiber gasket material, have to look for it.

I was thinking gasket paper from the auto parts store. In a pinch I've even used cereal boxes for gaskets. The thickness may be somewhat critical though, so matching it to what you have would probably be a good idea.

guessing this would work for the face to face mounting at the back of the 511 horn. I've nothing for that, horns came bare from a fellow AKer, If the thickness might matter I'll probably pul the trigger and pay the $8. I'm cheap but not that cheap.

thanks folks

Its not so much that I'm cheap, I'm impatient. Its faster to grab something out of the recycle box than to wait for things, because I WANT IT NOW :)

If it actually matters I'll get the right part, but if the material is not critical, one guy's cardboard is as good as Kellogg's

Its not so much that I'm cheap, I'm impatient. Its faster to grab something out of the recycle box than to wait for things, because I WANT IT NOW :)

If it actually matters I'll get the right part, but if the material is not critical, one guy's cardboard is as good as Kellogg's
Oh sorry, didn''t mind to imply that you were, just that i normally am. :)

Back
Top Bottom