Hot Sauce - My sick addiction

StevenZ

Texas or nothin'
Hello,

My name is Steven and I'm addicted to hot sauce. The hotter the better. I seem to have an addiction to the rush that eating super hot hot sauce and peppers gives me. Though I pay for it in the mornings. I'm curious is any other AK'ers out there are like me.

Last night I got some new sauce that's called "Weapons of Ass Destruction", it has a little picture of Saddam Hussein and George Bush on it and at first was very mild. So what did I do? I dumped a large amount all over my pizza. Boy was that a mistake. A few minutes in, I was dripping sweat, nose running, milk drinking, and everything else that comes with it. All of that, and I loved it. Are you guys as sick as me, or am I a rare breed of heat seekers?

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited:
When I used to work and live in London, we used to have a thing called "the Friday Chili club". It didn't always happen on Friday, and there was no membership. What we'd do, one of us would make a batch of hot sauce, and then a bunch of us workmates would go to the local kebab shop and have lunch. We'd ladle the stuff on, and then sit there sweating with burning mouths. The owner of the kebab shop tried some once (who you'd think would be used to hot sauce) and even he thought it was hot.

Once, it was my turn, and I used my thumbnails to scrape the seeds from out of the chilies I used. Big mistake, I could not put any pressure on my thumbs for two days.

Lee.

My innards aren't really up to a lot of hot sauce anymore, but I do love the stuff. My favorite on the planet is Gibb's Nuclear Hell. Highly recommended if you like hot- works good with anything beef based. I use common Melinda's in chowder and non-beef stuff.

Thanks for the sites guys. I now have a bottle of "Fire Out The Hole" on order from Hotpepperdudes.com and currently have a hot sauce of the month subscription from Pendery's. Also, leesonic, that's a great story. I'd love to be a part of something like that. I don't many heat enthusiasts locally so it's not something I get to enjoy with others, besides for the unsuspecting guest who foolishly trust me when I say "go ahead, try it, it's not even hot". Hahaha!

I'm somewhere between here

l.jpg

and here

7190aa3ad001a74f528401d71c041edf.jpg

Not what I USED to be. Damn!
Tyler

I used to be like thet but I started to draw the line at the stuff that has distilled extract of hot peppers added to boost the heat. I returned to the ones made for flavor and heat both. The tastiest sauce I ever had was in Barbados. It is a yellow Habenero sauce and there is a bowl of it on every table everywhere you go. They all make it at hole and put it on everything and it tastes great. It looks like mustard but it is made from yellow scotch bonnet peppers and strained carrots. I brought back gallons of it and learned to make it myself. You can buy it as Barbados sauce today. If you want to know what the flavor of a Habenero really is without the heat take a sharp knife and carefully peel a bit of skin and flesh from the outside of one but do not get any of the inside membrane on it. If you can see the inside you went too far. They really taste good. The Vietnamese stuff with the rooster and the garlic in it is tasty too even though somewhat lightweight.
The other thing that is good but different is homemade Horseradish. You have to grow the roots of buy them fresh and grind them. The commercial stuff is washed with water and mixed with vinegar to cut the heat but the real thing is invigorating!. I once gave a jar to my dentist and told him he may feel a slight discomfort. He did not get the joke untill after he tried it.:D

That's interesting. I may have to pick up some of that barbados sauce to try myself. I'm a big fan of tasty peppers as well. Heat aside, my favorite is tabasco peppers. I can't stand tabasco brand sauce due to it's high amount of vinegar, but the raw tabasco pepper really appeals to my taste buds. Second is the chile pequin. They're tiny little balls of fire that are just right for any foods that I've tried them with. They grow wild down here and produce quite a bit. On average we like to have about 7 species of hot pepper growing in the garden. This way it gives us a nice idea of what each taste like, as well as sprucing up our canned hot sauce with more complex flavors.

Do you guys have any home made recipes for fresh hot sauce that you'd like to share?

Tubes and hot sauce go together well, I've found. I'm with you Steve, the hotter, the better. Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce is a killer. The flavor is so big...and then...then the HEAT. Holy &$*$, the heat. But it's oh so good. It's hot like KT88s after 8 hours of an original pressing of Zeppelin 2...not that I've tired it or nuttin'.

Matt The Cat

From an old story in the Dallas Morning News on things hot:

Doggone hot

Talent doesn't insulate against agony. P. M. Summer of Dallas recalls he was at an Austin party in 1973, sitting on the front steps of a onetime farmhouse with his roommate, Al Ragle, "and the late, great Townes Van Zandt."

There was a keg of Shiner outside, and inside, a bowl of what looked like sweet banana peppers. Mr. Summer brought the bowl outside to share.

"At first nibble, the long, waxy pepper was sweet and cool. . . . No sooner had my teeth separated that second bite from the pepper than the first bite hit. It began as a numbness on my lips and tongue, but rapidly grew into a fiery and searing pain the likes of which I had never encountered, and have not encountered since. . . . Jumping up, I ran across the yard to the waiting keg, flapping my arms like many a headless chicken must have done in that same farmhouse yard years before."

Al and Townes howled at his plight, yelling, "Sissy boy!"

But no sooner had Al taken a bite than the same thing happened.

Townes could barely control his laughter. He "grabbed a 4-inch-long pepper and popped it in his mouth whole.

"His pupils expanded so that there was no visible iris, only black holes that seemed to show into his growing panic. Flight to the ice-cold beer must have seemed impossible to him."

Help of a sort was nearer at hand. "He looked down at his feet beside the porch steps" to a "brown plastic dog bowl, half full of water with grass clippings and insect carcasses floating on its surface.

"Then with both hands, Townes quickly lifted the bowl to his ravaged mouth and drank it to its dregs."

Love hot sauce, but I'm into flavor and not just heat. Something like "Dave's Insanity" is simply stupid hot, and no flavor. Anything with pure cap added is to be avoided.

I only go as far as Sri Racha. Like the tingle with the garlic mix. Anything beyond that is just ridiculous to me. When your entire mouth is completely numb, you can't enjoy the flavor of the food you're eating.

I used to, however after my stomach started eating a hole through itself, I had to quit.

Years ago, I worked in this office, and every Friday we'd all chip in five bucks and someone would go get Popeyes chicken. Anyway, we had this guy from Cambodia who would dump hot sauce on the spicy chicken.

I had a botttle of "Ass In The Tub" that I took to him. This stuff was evil. It was like pure concentrated evil..and it looked like ketchup. So, he laughed at the bottle, then dumped some on his burrito. He took a few bites, put the burrito down..and admitted defeat.

However, we had this guy that worked there that none of us knew grew up in South America. He tried the sauce, said it was mild.

I'm not into pain, but something that will make sweat come out of my bald spot is just about right for me. Last year I had three Habanero plants going, and I'd chiffonade a ripe one (sans seeds, I'm no masochist) and put that in a burger. Delicious!
I also grow cayenne (arboles) I chop those up and put 'em in my salad!

Back
Top Bottom