Hot Sauce - My sick addiction

I probably have around 30 bottles of hot sauce here at the house. Love the stuff myself. But my favorite heat are fresh peppers off of the vine. I plant them every year. My fav. fresh pepper is a rooster spur. I have 6 plants in the ground now. I also have some red chilies in the ground, 2 plants. The red chilies only get around 2, to 2 1/2 inches long.

Both are perfect eating size. just one bite. They measure between 30 to 50,000 scoville units. The perfect heat for me.

Thanks for the sites guys. I now have a bottle of "Fire Out The Hole" on order from Hotpepperdudes.com

I'm chatting with the owner now trying to get a commission on that sale...LOL. We work together but they are in Florida and I am in PA.

Hope ya like it!

Good ol' D.L. Jardines. They make my favorite bbq sauce as well. Tasty product line-up for sure.

Yeah, I like hot sauce. Blair's Ultra Death is currently my weapon of choice, at 800K Scoville units. It's really just fun to see who can take it straight on some Lil Smokie sausages. :D

I like Blair's Sudden and After Death for when I'm not looking to scorch my face off.

Datil pepper hot sauce is my favorite, and the best is made by small-batch, home-based businesses in the area. There are some commercially available ones that are pretty good, but not nearly as much as the stuff sold here at flea markets and the farmer's markets.

My first- ever bhut jolokia plant is LOADED, and should start yielding mature peppers in maybe 10 days or so, from the looks of things.

475944_3063135503813_1426235392_32292361_1294631866_o.jpg

Nice story, Summer. What kind of peppers were those?

To this day I have no idea. A Scotch Bonnet cross-pollinated with a Waxy Banana? One thing though, I'm still extra cautious when it comes to sampling mystery peppers.

Datil pepper hot sauce is my favorite, and the best is made by small-batch, home-based businesses in the area. There are some commercially available ones that are pretty good, but not nearly as much as the stuff sold here at flea markets and the farmer's markets.

My first- ever bhut jolokia plant is LOADED, and should start yielding mature peppers in maybe 10 days or so, from the looks of things.

Yep, they are almost there.

This is the hottest I ever tried....:tears:....never again. ..:no:

picture.php

I like hot sauce....to the point that it clears my sinuses....past that,I'll pass.
I like Franks.

All heat is not equal. I find that certain peppers, like habanero or cayenne can give me a pleasant heat but others, like scotch bonnet, with the same rating can destroy my mouth for hours

Myself, I've become more of an addict for Mexican Salsas, and Chile.

While I've had some that were tolerable out of a jar, there's of course nothing like the real deal, homemade from scratch.

In the past, and living in Chicago, many could do quite wonderful jobs with Chile Arbol, or other varieties of peppers. some fresh, and some roasted, and so flavorful, and complex.

Down here in New Mexico, they have of course the Green Chile, and these too can make some very outstanding Salsas, and Chile in which Meats, etc are added. Really great character, and flavor.

Some have quite a good "tingle", and some are downright murder. Trust, that those Chile eating contests in places like Hatch, NM, those peppers are quite hot.

Odd, how some of these peppers have that "delayed" effect, that many seconds-moments pass, and you're saying "this ain't hot"?, and then Bam, holy shit! LOL Mark

Last edited:
I'm not into pain, but something that will make sweat come out of my bald spot is just about right for me. Last year I had three Habanero plants going, and I'd chiffonade a ripe one (sans seeds, I'm no masochist) and put that in a burger. Delicious!
I also grow cayenne (arboles) I chop those up and put 'em in my salad!

I take it that in Brooklyn, you started those plants indoors before spring ever hit. Even here in NM, habañeros don't hit their most productive stage until just before the frost kills them (if they aren't fairly large plants already when you plant them in April or May. Growing season here is fine for almost any other chile but habs are really slow.

Are you growing those indoors? They look great.

Got a question for you chile' gardeners. I'm getting jalapeno's (3 so far), but my habenero plant is just leafy and green (about 14" high) with no fruit; any suggestions?

At my old job back in England, we used to have a thing called the "Friday Chilli Club". It wasn't a club, and it didn't always happen on a Friday, but it did involve chilli sauce. What would happen is, one of us from IT would make a batch of sauce, and we'd all go down the road to the local kebab shop, and get doner kebabs all round (Greek gyros are very similar here in America). We'd all spoon the stuff on, and there sit there sweating with our tongues hanging out because it was so hot.

The area we worked in had a lot of market stalls selling fruits and veg, so it was easy to get hot pepper from the Caribbean to use in our sauce. I remember when it was my turn to make it, I couldn't put any pressure on my thumbs for the next day, as some of the chilli juice got under my thumbnails. Ouch!

Kebab shops can and do get a bad rap in England as the sort of food you eat when you stagger out of a pub with the munchies, as does Indian food. This one kebab shop, a foxy friend and workmate of mine worked in Environmental Health, she checked the place out and gave it a clean bill of health.

Lee.

We had a guy here who had a prank he'd pull on your soft drink - the kind you get at a convenience store with a plastic lid and a straw - he liked to take scissors and snip the straw off below the lid. Go to take a drink, a stub of straw was all you'd get.

So I pranked his drink one day. Took his straw and sucked it nearly full of HOT hot sauce, put my thumb over the end and stuck it back in his cup. He went to get a drink of cool, refreshing soda and instead got a blast of insane hotness. He was coughing and gagging and puking for quite a while, turned very red, I thought there for a little while that I'd killed him. I damn near died from laughing at him damn near dying.

Oh yeah, same guy as in This Prank.

At my old job back in England, we used to have a thing called the "Friday Chilli Club". It wasn't a club, and it didn't always happen on a Friday, but it did involve chilli sauce. What would happen is, one of us from IT would make a batch of sauce, and we'd all go down the road to the local kebab shop, and get doner kebabs all round (Greek gyros are very similar here in America). We'd all spoon the stuff on, and there sit there sweating with our tongues hanging out because it was so hot.

The area we worked in had a lot of market stalls selling fruits and veg, so it was easy to get hot pepper from the Caribbean to use in our sauce. I remember when it was my turn to make it, I couldn't put any pressure on my thumbs for the next day, as some of the chilli juice got under my thumbnails. Ouch!

Kebab shops can and do get a bad rap in England as the sort of food you eat when you stagger out of a pub with the munchies, as does Indian food. This one kebab shop, a foxy friend and workmate of mine worked in Environmental Health, she checked the place out and gave it a clean bill of health.

Lee.

Check out post #6 Lee (grin)

We grow birds eye chillies here. Small, red, hot buggers. I'll try and remember to take a photo of my bush tomorrow, but it's due for another harvest. Sauce recipe is simple. I just blend them up, seeds and all and cover them with white vinegar in a saucepan with a teaspoon each of salt and sugar. I then simmer them for an hour or so and strain out all the pulp through muslin. It's my poor man's Tabasco. After the bottle has been at the back of the pantry for a few months it is ready to go. I keep refrigerated after opening. Fun stuff to make!

Back
Top Bottom